“The Hot Springs and Cave were incredible.....but”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ainsworth Hot Springs
Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort
Reviewed 27 June 2011

when we went up to eat, we were told the "Porsche Club" was eating and the rest of us could just wait in the lounge. We asked for a simple salad and were again told "NO", we will not be taking care of anyone until all the Club has been taken care of and it may be hours. They wanted to booze us up, but that's not our interest....so we left, went back to our room at another kind location, got our suits and went to the Hot Springs. THIS part of our visit was wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed the warmth of the soothing waters.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank selkirkmotel
Galeena_10, Director of Sales at Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

I'm so glad you got to enjoy the hot springs on your recent visit. It's unfortunate that you were unable to experience dinner in our restaurant. We do recommend dinner reservations to avoid long waits especially on weekends and during the peak season. I can appreciate the frustration of not being able to eat when you are hungry. Front desk agents can usually offer suggestions in such cases. I hope you can put us on your itinerary for a future visit. There are quieter times.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

...And it's not just the music playing in the hotel restaurant. The rooms are painfully dated, the whole place smells of carpet deodorizer (and damp- likely from the hot springs) and the dining is formulaic motel fare. Oh, and don't forget your razor or any other significant toiletries unless you're prepared to pay handsomely for sub-stanadard products in their gift shop.

All of this would be OK if it weren't for the staggering room rate- about $200 per night for their best room which, in my opinion, barely meets the minimum quality of a room anywhere else for half the price. I wish I'd spent the same amount to stay at the Fairmont Chateau Wistler or even less to stay the Sparkling Hills Resort in Vernon.

Of course, there is the natural hot springs (the old mine shafts- caves- where the hot springs come in through the mountain rock are pretty neat). And if sharing this experience of a crowded bath with "great unwashed" (tattoos and piercings not withstanding), this is the place for you. Just be aware that you should view their website with informed caution.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank uglyalbertan
Galeena_10, Director of Sales at Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2011

I can understand how someone would think .50 cents is a handsome price to pay for a razor, and that $200 for the best room in the place might be considered staggering, but the "music"? Really? Dozens of hard working people, at this resort, do their very best to offer clean, comfortable lodging, great food and an all-round great hot springs experience.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

This place is not a resort so don't expect it to be. It's a motel with a great restaurant and hot springs. I have been going yearly for over 12 years. I have never had a problem with any of the staff. The restaurant waiters are fun and provide Vancouver fine dining experiences. The food quality ranges from good to excellent depending on what you order and some may feel it's pricey. Some items are really fresh. There is no doubt that the motel is in need of renos, major renos. The view rooms on 2nd and 3rd floors have awesome views. No question. I have not stayed on the first floor. The rooms even though they need renos are clean. The fact that over 12 years the staff has changed very little has given me and my family another family at the hotel. One of the waiters does magic tricks for my kids. Very special. I stay usually for four nights and eat breakfast and dinner at motels restaurant. Again some will feel it's a bit pricey. The room rates are reasonable as it includes the hot springs. The only issue I have had is with the owner. Quite frankly she has not been friendly once towards me and I spend a bit over four nights and over 8 meals. This is ok as my dealings with her are limited and if she is like this she should be like faulty towers and than it would be ok as itcould be fun. But alas not. I would not go back if it were not for the staff who after 12 years I consider my friends and am treated that way when I am there. I really look forward to seeing them. It's my understanding that the rooms are going to be redone over the next few years. For the deposit and the rules they are there for all of us to create the greatest experience for the most. I find them to be reasonable and the third floor no longer has children allowed to help the romantics etc. I do recommend a stay here but it's not a resort it's a motel with one of the best hot springs in BC and good to excellent food quality in the restaurant in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Travelbc2011
Galeena_10, Director of Sales at Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

How wonderful for you to take the time to write this lovely review. Likewise, your visit is always anticipated with pleasure. Big thank you and warm greetings from all your friends at Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort.

Reviewed 20 May 2011

Worth making the small diversion, as other hot springs don't have the beautiful lakeside views and here you can swim into the mountainside in a tunnel really cool. Only stayed overnight but the room was well furnished with a spacious bathroom (the hot water was from the springs too) During your stay you have unlimited use of the springs.
If you choose to eat here I can recommend the food, it was excellent, with very large portions. Not cheap but the quality makes it good value.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for the recommendation, and for sharing your own good experience. It's what we all strive to offer. Thank you, again. We look forward to a return visit.

Reviewed 1 May 2011

We spent a most relaxing day and evening at the Ainsworth Hot Spring Resort this weekend. The pools were very clean and we enjoyed having a choice of cold, warm and HOT waters to soak in! We were on the second floor in a room which was very clean and spacious, with a great view of the lake and mountains. Liked having a small fridge in our room. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and were treated to a fabulous meal(Salmon and Braised Short Ribs), with great service.....highly recommended! Breakfast was equally good - Pancakes and Eggs Benny, with very friendly service. Thanks Ainsworth - look forward to another visit soon!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Galeena_10, Director of Sales at Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2011

We are very glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us...and are already looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

My wife and I made the trip to Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort the weekend of April 15-16, 2011. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room, which had a great view of Kootenay Lake and the mountains, was clean, comfortable, spacious and relaxing. The beds were comfortable and the pillows were like sleeping on clouds. It couldn't get much better. Awesome view of the lake and the snowy mountains across on the other side of the lake. The resort itself had a nice little boutique, where we each bought two Billabong jackets. Great fall and spring type jackets with style. They also have an excellent selection of designer swimwear, so if you forget your swimsuit, don't worry.

The hot springs itself was wonderful. The cooler pool was in the high 90s and the hotter pool (and world-famous cave) were much hotter, and all was very relaxing. It was also ultra-clean and the staff very friendly. They allow the hotel guests to be in the water earlier than visitors, too, so there was plenty of time. We saw them clean the pool from the restaurant as we ate breakfast and they were thorough.

Being AAA members, we received what I believe was a 10% discount, so don't forget to mention that.

The restaurant was nice and is a great place to go for breakfast. Their egg and meat meals are fabulous.

We drove to Nelson and ate at a little seafood place (they also have some good non-seafood items) called The Dock Restaurant, which is located at 569 Ward Street. I had the 2-piece Pacific Cod fish 'n Chips and man was it ever good. The fish was well prepared, not greasy and flaked just right and yet retained its moisture. Very well prepared. Their chips are real potatoes. They peel them there and they were excellent. Not at all greasy. I told my wife that they tasted like candy to me. We ate every bite and hated to leave. If you like fish 'n chips and you are in the area, do yourself a favor and visit this place. My wife had a Caesar salad and fries and ate every bite with enjoyment. I call this place a hidden gem. It's easy to find. Walk down Baker Street (the main street) and turn up the small hill when you get to Scotia Bank, then walk on that side Ward Street about one-half block.

I rate a trip to Nelson and to Ainsworth Hot Springs as a world-class trip.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Galeena_10, Director of Sales at Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

We've certainly enjoyed reading about your most excellent trip to Ainsworth Hot Springs and to Nelson. Thanks for your "shout out" to the folks up in the gift shop. Everyone works hard to offer such an experience and it is always nice to receive this kind of feedback. Thanks, too, for taking the time to post your thoughts. Here's to seeing you again.

Reviewed 6 March 2011

We have stayed at this resort many years ago and really enjoyed our room and the fantastic dinner, as it was our anniversary. The pools as usual were spectacular.
We are going to the Hot Springs this weekend (Mar 11 to 13) and were planning to stay at the resort, but after reading all the negative posts, I think we will over night in Nelson and travel back and forth each day. I don't want to spend my money and be disappointed. Looking forward to the renovations, then we'll try at the resort again.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CanMike
Galeena_10, Director of Sales at Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2011

These negative reviews do not represent the comments of thousands of guests who stay with us throughout the year. The hotel, built in the late eighties, is well-traveled and has seen many upgrades since then. The top floor was recently updated for adult occupancy only. We see a great many honeymooners and anniversary couples who enjoy the attention and thoughtfulness of our experienced staff. Housekeeping is second to none. A seasonal menu is prepared by our Executive Chef and served in the Springs Dining Room by knowledgeable servers.
There have been a great many improvements in the last couple of years, such as water and waste treatment plant, new kitchen and storage, huge generator for uninterrupted service in the event of a power failure etc. We're so glad you have previously enjoyed our hospitality and look forward to seeing you again, whether this weekend or in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ainsworth Hot Springs
#4 of 10 in Nelson
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
Mermaid Lodge & Motel
#3 of 3 in Ainsworth Hot Springs

Been to Ainsworth Hot Springs Resort? Share your experiences!