Alert Bay Lodge
Alert Bay Cabins(Alert Bay)
US$128
US$88
US$86
Hotels.com
Haida Way Motor Inn(Port McNeill)
US$105
Airport Inn(Port Hardy)
US$87
Pioneer Inn(Port Hardy)
US$76
US$129
US$124
Quarterdeck Inn & Marina Resort(Port Hardy)(Great Value!)
US$131
Hotels.com
Pier Side Landing(Port Hardy)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgreat roomcommon roomspent nightsbed and breakfastu'mista cultural centremidnight sunadditional costwood firecouple of hourscomfortable stayliquor storebring your ownhostsjoelculturedogisland
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Lovely little lodge with water views. The New Zealand couple that was running the place for the owners were great. The room was big and had a loft if you need to get a few more people in the room.... would be great for a family with kids. They were going to let us take our dogs, we didn't end up bringing them but the option was really nice and helpful of them.

The bed wasn't super comfy but more than adequate.

Defiintely not 5 star but that adds to part of the charm, you feel like your at your grandparents cabin at the lake.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I spent a week here with my family and it was the perfect fit for what we were looking for. The authentic home away from home atmosphere was very relaxing for both adults and the little ones. The rooms were very nice and clean with extremely comfortable beds and my room even had heated bathroom tiles! The view from the main room was absolutely breathtaking and there were no shortage of wildlife to look at. Waking up to a fresh pot of coffee and a great home cooked breakfast I feel the place was well priced for such service. I would recommend this place to anyone who's looking to explore the real West Coast without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: I stayed in room one and this was the one with the heated tile floors.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Claire O
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My wife and I and our two kids stay there for the long Easter weekend and had a great time. I found it relaxing and quiet the beds were comfortable and food was great. The rooms were clean and when we finally left, I did not want to leave. Company was great and the others that stayed there made the entire visit even more pleasant. I hope to stay there again some time soon.

Room Tip: Explore the island, it has some wonderful nature hike places. Very child friendly.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Social_Traveller2012
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I wanted to rate some of the places I've stayed in Alert Bay, because there's been some really good, and some REALLY bad. This one was one of the bad ones...I have to agree with some of the other reviews on this site. At Alert Bay Lodge you pay a lot of money, for not very much at all. And it's so true, corners were cut wherever possible. Old buildings can be nice and rustic, but you still need new age health standards! The kitchen didn't even have an exhaust fan...which is not very pleasant when the poor host/hostess is trying to cook a lovely breakfast and all you can smell is smoke!!

And yes, the vibe you get from the place and how the locals feel about the busiess does make it hard to enjoy your stay at Alert Bay Lodge...I believe health standards, well maintained building & rooms (including kitchen!) and reputation are key to a successful business...they failed in all three.

The town does offer a lot to see, and many other great places to stay though! So don't give up looking around if you're traveling.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank L I
North_Isle_Explorer, Owner at Alert Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

This reply was not written by a guest. In the month of May 2011 no guests from Burnaby (a city near Vancouver, BC) stayed at Alert Bay Lodge.

Interestingly, although the reviewer has only been a member of tripadvisor for the last two weeks, she is choosing to comment on her purported stay in May 2011 – almost one year ago. She also claims to represent the ‘locals’. Very fishy indeed!

We trust tripadvisor viewers to compare this review with the others and make their own decision. We also encourage those keen to explore our remote corner of the world to come to Alert Bay Lodge and meet our new mangers.

By the way, our stove does have a fan! (What stove doesn’t?)

Reviewed 22 December 2011

Stayed there for 3 nights as part of an organised trip to Alert Bay. Travelled from Victoria by Greyhoud Bus to Port McNeill and the bus was late so I missed the ferry. The next one wasn't until 2 hrs 40 mins later. If that happens go and have dinner at Gus' Pub/Restaurant 2 min walking down the road.
Chris the manager at the lodge picked me up and since there are only 4 rooms at the lodge you can pretty much choose at what time to have breakfast and what to have. For a charge she will also provide an evening meal. Wifi is free.....
The U-Mista cultural centre should be a good place to visit - it was closed unfortunately when I was there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo