Having booked the big beach log house at this property for New Year's 2011, we decided to go again with a large group of friends for another New Year's celebration. Our group was even bigger this time, so we ended up booking a second 2 bedroom unit to accommodate our numbers.
Overall, another great stay. From the first email to book the place to when we dropped off our keys on our way back home, the owner and her staff were great to deal with. They made accommodation for us to check in early, were quick to get the fireplace up and running in the 2 bedroom unit when we were having some trouble switching it on, and they had great senses of humour throughout.
This is one of the few places we could find that can accommodate 14 people in beds, has a great location, the amenities we need (hot tub, beachfront, fireplace, great big dining room table, etc) and is reasonably priced. Even with a full house, you have plenty of space so you're not tripping all over each other. Everyone had a great time, and are already planning for another stay next year (this time to tie in some additional skiing).
To address some of the items I've seen in another post:
- Yes, there are some posted warnings (e.g. what not to flush down the septic system), which some may interpret as strongly worded. However, my perspective is that at least they are very clear - and probably warranted after years of having guests come and go (and occasionally cause some damage by making poor decisions). Anyways, we had no problem making ourselves at home and at the same time respecting the place and leaving it in good condition when we left.
- Yes, the deposit is required in the form of cash or certified cheque, and they return the deposit via mail a few days after you leave, assuming there is no damage. Both times we have stayed, we received the full deposit back in a timely manner. No problems there.
As with any place, it's not perfect. E.g. A few of the kitchen tools could benefit from an upgrade (dishes, cutlery and glasses were fine though). But the pros vastly outweigh any cons here, and we will definitely stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paddle along the tranquil shores on the east coast of Vancouver Island. Relax in our oceanfront hot tub while watching the eagles soar and cruise ships passing by. Gather around a beach bonfire. Enjoy clams/oysters picked from our beach. Hike on trails through pristine local forests. Enjoy a round of golf at one of the sixteen golf courses within an hours drive. Centrally located for day trips to many points of interest on Vancouver Island. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Shady Shores Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shady Shores Beach Hotel Bowser