“Very decent place to stay - clean & comfortable”
Review of Sage Hills Motel

Sage Hills Motel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Cache Creek
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We travel through Cache Creek at least every two months and have stayed at four other properties. One of them is way more expensive than it should be given what you are offered--the other three offer varying degrees of poorly kept accommodation--charging you for the privilege of mold, dirty carpets, mismatched furniture, broken furniture, noise air conditioners.

This place is different.
We were steered here by a waitress at the Cache Creek Husky Station Travel Center Restaurant (I recommend this place too)--I asked our waitress what she would suggest--given my experiences with the other places offering accommodation. She indicated her mother stays at Sage Hills when in town. So we came over to give Sage Hills a chance to earn our confidence.

First off, the office. Yes, the lady's English is limited--however I don't speak much Korean or whatever her first language might be. So I enjoyed (yes, enjoyed) the challenge of conveying what I was looking for. She was very nice. (Nicer than some of the other proprietors around here who seem to think they are doing you a favor letting you stay...whatever happened to customer service? This lady was refreshing...)

A little bit wary--OK--a LOT wary--I asked to see the room and bath first (I'm done paying $80 and up for rooms with mold and dirty floors). My first impression as I walked in the room was that I'd finally located a place which offered rooms for reasonable cost--clean, comfortable--there is even a nice reclining chair and a good size flat screen TV.

I had a look at the bathroom and no mold--clean and bright looking. The bath tub is a little different in that it is high--one steps up one step to get in. There is a hand rail for safety. The odd thing is there is no fan so one has to open the window to get a little ventilation. The tub drains a bit slow but the water is plentiful and fairly hot--but not scalding hot. (Some might like it a bit warmer but this was fine for me.)

The towels are nice quality and not stained--fairly thick. Probably came from Costco or the like. The shower curtain is fabric and nicely decorated--set on one of the bow-out type shower curtain rod that keeps the curtain off one.

There is an interesting decor to the room and I mean "interesting" in the best way: As you walk in, it looks clean and fresh. There is a clock on the wall that is set inside an understated Grandfather's Clock decal. Rather neat looking. There is a gauze curtain accent on the wall above the head of the bed--also a nice touch. A nice complementing bedspread that give the room a french country look. In the bathroom, there is a large red poppy decal on the wall by the sink--brightens what would be an ordinary-looking bathroom to something refreshing. Very nice touch.

There is the usual coffee-tea service tray and a microwave and refrigerator. Bottled water complimentary in the fridge.

The desk and the bedside lamps aren't the usual cheap motel fare and neither are the desk, TV stand, bed headboard and bedside tables. The floor is very clean and not that awful shag carpet one finds in older properties...

The bed is reasonably firm with a good mattress. The bedding is clean and unstained. The bedspread design ties in very nice with the curtain accent and the grandfather clock wall decal.

The road noise isn't all that bad--we've faced worse...like crews coming "home" in the wee hours and tromping around upstairs...after all, it's their evening--can't blame them...unfortunately, we and a lot of others try to sleep at 2 a.m.

Bottom line--we'll stay here again.
I like to support local businesses who do their best to provide quality products--in this case, reasonably-priced accommodations. These folks are obviously putting money back into the property with an eye to offering their guests a decent place to spend the night--and you get friendly customer service too!

FYI--we were in #9, with a king-size bed, facing the main highway. Price is $84 and that includes tax. Base rate $75.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank titetown

Reviewed 19 March 2014

Is there such a thing as too nice?

It was bordering on overkill, but they meant well. The place is perfect for a one night, get some sleep, then leave. It was clean enough and had the usual stuff. The price was right, so no complaints there. If you're going to do some racing at Eagle Motorplex, this motel is perfect. Breakfast at Husky. Can't beat that, LOL.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank mugen1
Reviewed 13 December 2013

one storey motel.
nothing fancy but the price is right. we come to Cache Creek every year for winter competition and I stayed at this place at least twice already.
warm, quiet rooms and friendly stuff.
see You next year!

Room Tip: ask fr a boom in the back of the motel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank alexinvancouver
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The staff were very friendly - opened the door for us, made checking in easy, and tried to give us treats on our way out. The room was clean and comfortable with nice decor. Fun decorations in the rooms made it obvious that the owners care about the details.
The price was to be expected, but turned out to be a deal when we saw the room. The bed was hard, but it was manageable, and that was the ONLY complaint I could come up with. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Comfortable place that is very inviting and the staff will make you feel very welcome.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TravellingForCheap
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

This old roadside motel, is not what the other reviews sell it to be. Looking like it was built in the 50s, and nothing been done since... Oh maybe a paint job. The owners, nice - but have little grasp for the English language, which makes things difficult. The breakfast in the am, makes me wish I had just paid for breakfast at a proper restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank torontotraveler31
Reviewed 30 August 2013

It may be right on a main road but it is homey, clean and very pet friendly. We stayed here a night and were happy to have a room with two bedrooms. We tethered the dog to a post and cooked at the picnic table in front of the rooms.
The room was nicely decorated and had a refrig. and microwave. They have a grassy area out back for pets. I really appreciated their friendliness. We'll be returning this weekend for a stop during another trip to Northern BC.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 August 2013

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor I decided to book my family into this motel. Cleanliness is our top priority when staying in any motel/hotel. After having stayed at this motel, I was surprised at the positive cleanliness ratings. Our room was far from clean. There was public hair on the bathroom floor and even on the bedside table. There was dried urine on the bathroom baseboard. My son got a nosebleed and needed kleenex. There was only one in the box (the receptacle itself was covered in grime). There was a very strong chemical smell in our rooms that had obviously been sprayed immediately upon our arrival. Both the TV remote and the clock radio were visibly dirty. The outside light did not work. We were given a choice of either bacon and eggs or waffles for breakfast (we choose waffles). Breakfast for "two" was delivered (late) to our room on one plate. We were given one milk and one juice box for two people. The milk and juice container had a strong "fishy" smell, and my children would not touch them. The extra we paid for the breakfast was, quite frankly, a waste of money. The owner, who spoke little English, was pleasant and friendly enough, but the place was so unclean that I feel compelled to write this review. We will definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
0 mi away
Bonaparte Motel
Bonaparte Motel
#3 of 9 in Cache Creek

Been to Sage Hills Motel? Share your experiences!