“Amazing get-away”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chase
Airdrie, Canada
“Amazing get-away”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We have just stayed at Quaaout lodge for the third time and I decided I had to let people in on our little secret get-away.
First the views.... I think every room has a view of the lake which is just beautiful. The rooms all have a patio and that's the perfect place to sit out with a glass of wine and watch the sun set over the lake.
The lake has a beach. It is not the best beach because it is a little bit stoney but you can still find spots where it is fine to throw a towel down and sunbathe, and the water is perfectly clear so good for swimming.
The rooms themselves are clean and spacious with a small mini fridge and free wifi in each room. Also the sign of a really nice hotel to me..big fluffy white towels and robes..
There is a dining room at the hotel which has great food and is very reasonably priced, especially for the buffet breakfast which is a great deal for $12.95, or there is also Jack Sam's sports bar for those who just want a drink and something more casual to eat while watching the game.
After supper you can go and relax in the indoor hot tub and pool, or the hotel has a full spa if you want to spoil your self.
Now for all the golfers out there...there is an excellent golf course that ends with the eighteenth hole running along the beach and lake. I am not a golfer but my husband assures me it is a first class course.
There is a gift store in the hotel that has lots of unusual hand made gifts and also a pro shop for the golfers, or those of us who just like to look good even if we can't golf.
Finally a word about the staff, they are so friendly, very helpful and always seem to have a smile for everyone.
Definitely one of my most favourite places to stay in Canada.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sun-SeekerCalgary

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Nestled in amongst the pines and situated on the beautiful beaches of the Little Shuswap Lake, this lodge is only a few kilometres from the main highway. The lodge has beautifully manicured lawns, the beach is very clean, and the lake is great for swimming. A big plus for us was that they are very pet-friendly here. All the rooms have a nice view of the lawns and the lake. We were a group of three and although our room was nice and modern, we found it a bit small and cramped. We had a room at ground level so it was easy to let the dog out. The patio was nice as well. The upper-floor rooms all have balconies. While there, the elevator was out of commission so the older person in our group had an extremely difficult time with the stairs up to the restaurant; hotel staff didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to fix it, nor did they offer to move us to a room at the main floor level. The restaurant is very nice with windows all around and an outside eating area too. The menu choices are very good, and so is the food quality, but we were disappointed with the extremely slow service. It took us 3 hours to get through a dinner, and although we enjoy a leisurely meal with space between courses, 2 hours is plenty of time to enjoy a meal. I would have liked to have breakfast included - I think most hotels do this. Although the gounds and beach are gorgeous, there is no way for someone with walking challenges to get around in my opinion. When I asked if I could use a golf cart to drive my mother around the lawns I was given a no. I thought the price of the stay was in keeping with other upscale hotels - I would just like to see more accessable places for seniors or anyone using a walker/wheelchair etc. My mum never did get to see the lake because she couldn't walk that far. A paved path to the top of the beach might help. As well, there are native sites on the property and my mum was not able to walk to them all, and there was no offer of a ride. Overall, I think this is a great place for golfers, weddings, and perhaps families who want to do day trips from here, or just hang out at the beach. I get the feeling this place mostly caters to golfers. That all said, we did enjoy our stay and I would consider staying again, but I would make sure to ask more questions first.

Room Tip: Be prepared to use stairs or ask for a room that's at the same level as reception, shops and res...
1 Thank Greya16
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Enjoyed the stunning location and golf course. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable, an overall wonderful weekend away.

We ran into a problem with dinner on our last night. The meals came out over cooked, four out of eight were sent back, with one other that should have also gone back. When the new meals returned the meat was still over cooked and inedible. Waitress insisted there was nothing she could do about it and argued with patrons instead of seeking out a manager, or attempting to remove items from the bill. The meals initially took 1.5 hours to come out to us, drinks took 30. Meals were not worth the price ans unfortunately there are no other convenient locations to eat near the resort. We were highly disappointed to end our weekend on such a poor note (meal wise).

Check out the resort but pack your own dinner!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank maric2
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We recently had our wedding at Quaaout and the experience was nothing short of tremendous. The banquet, catering and front desk staff were all helpful, friendly and attentive. The location of this stunning hotel/resort is worth the trip. Plus, it's run locally - putting money back into the First Nations community. Compliments to the chef and kitchen who make a mean bannock, superb salmon and the best roast bison I've tried. The Sunday brunch is great too. Rooms are high quality and all have views to the lake with a balcony/patio. Other than a few glitches with the bill (which were quickly resolved), and some of our guests with unexpected charges (review your bill before leaving), this is a definite recommend for a weekend away, or a company retreat. Did I mention there's a golf course?

Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a family wedding for 4 nights with our dog, in a ground level pet-friendly room that overlooked the lake. We had a king-sized bed, in suite bath and gas f/p in the room. The large bathroom included a walk-in shower. Our view was directly out to the lake. Altogether, the room was absolutely gorgeous and we would highly recommend it again. I was surprised, though, to find the bar fridge empty and no snacks in the room. Minor thing, but worth mentioning.

The hotel staff were incredbly nice and accommodating. If we asked, we received. The grounds are beautiful, the lake and lakeshore amazing, and there are non-motorized boats near the private dock for guest use. We never used the indoor pool or gym, but they looked great.

So far, I can't say enough nice things about our stay. It was really nice. But then, you have to eat eventually! We arrived around dinner time and went to the restaurant for dinner around 7:00. There were only 3-4 tables seated in the restaurant, but the hostess told us we would have to wait an hour to be served because they were very busy, and we should go somewhee else for dinner! Really?! We were at a resort, did NOT want to get back in our car and drive somewhere for dinner, and the next closest restaurant would have been at least a 15min drive away. And they only had 3-4 tables of people eating! So, we stayed.... and waited. We ordered the surf and turf and bison steak. They were pricey (the highest on the menu), and we expected the price would reflect the quality and our wait would be worth it. Quite the opposite. The food was very overcooked (I had ordered my bison steak rare). We were very disappointed, but did not complain at the time. (Of note, we ordered bottles of chardonnay, which were only $24/bottle and would've been 2x that in Vancouver or Whistler, so we were impressed by the price).

Breakfast the next morning was equally disappointing. We ordered the eggs benny and the sauce was so terrible, we couldn't finish our eggs (never happened to me before!). The smorgasbord was a safe bet, but not anything to write home about (the OJ is very watered down). But, while we were there, we told our breakfast company about the experience at dinner the night before. The waitress overheard, and she offerred to comp our next dinner. That was very nice, and unexpected as we hadn't voiced it to her. She said they have been having problems with the restaurant and are trying to fix them and hoped our next meal would be better.

We did eat lunch and breakfast there again and stuck to meals we thought they could manage (the chicken wings were delish!). When we next had dinner there, the restaurant was again nearly empty. Still, we had terrible service and were told they were slammed. We waited forever for our food, half an hour to get a drink, and then it would be the wrong kind, and we'd have to wait again for a new one. We were sitting outside (wasp problem!) and our dishes were never cleared. We had to move them to an empty table ourselves to avoid the wasps (which we accepted as part of eating outdoors), and they sat there until we left. I ordered the lamb chops and have to say that I can easily make better. Friends were eating dinner after us at another table, and they waited unusually long times to get their food, and several of them returned them 2 or more times due to being overcooked, undercooked, etc. They were also incredibly disappointed (and mad!) at the bad service.

Throughout our stay, we started hearing that the problems in the restaurant are anything but new, and that these same issues have been going on for a long time.

Although the staff were very nice, I would highly recommend you do NOT eat at the restaurant, or be very careful what you order, and be prepared to wait an unacceptably long time. Without the restaurant, I would rate the resort a 4.5 out of 5. Sadly, with the restaurant (it's a package deal when there are no in suite kitchens!), I only rate it a 2.5 out of 5.

Quaaoot, work hard on fixing your many restaurant problems, and we would be thrilled to stay there again. Until then, I don't think so.

Room Tip: We loved the rooms on the end that faced the lake. The decks are huge and rooms have in suite f/p an...
1 Thank TravelinWhistlerTrio
St. Paul, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here last March and had to come back. Stayed here for 4 days this time. Wow, what a beautiful place in the summer. The landscaping around the hotel is absolutely beautiful. I honestly cannot say enough good things about this place. The rooms are clean and tidy. It's so nice they offer pet friendly rooms that are groin level with a walk out. Makes taking the dog out so convenient. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The whole atmosphere of this place is relaxing. I went to the Le7ke Spa and my treatments were amazing. I received the Vichy shower treatment, facial and manicure. What a great treatment. The staff at the spa were also wonderful. The views from each and every room are breathtaking, as they are all situated in a way that you can see the lake/golf course/grounds around the hotel. Another really neat thing about this hotel is the native history around the lodge. The grounds around the hotel include a tipi, sweat lodge, underground home, informative signs and once you are inside there are paintings, woodwork, a beautiful fire place feature in the lobby and a really great gift shop. The pro shop in the lobby also has great golf attire and anything you would need to golf. Once you are at the resort there is no real reason to leave but if you needed to Salmon Arm is only 40mins away. There is a restaurant which is great, a spa, a golf course and a beautiful lake to keep you occupied while here. Definitely would recommend it to anyone looking to relax and really enjoy themselves. I will be back!

• Stayed July 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Lodge is located in a beautiful spot on Little Shuswap Lake. The First Nation has done a terrific job integrating their traditions and art motifs into the architecture and interior design of the hotel. For example, some of the pictograms found in their traditional territory appear on the dining room's tableclothes and on the large fireplace chimney in the lobby. It is great to see traditions given new life.

For those interested in Aboriginal culture, the grounds have plaques explaining aspects of the Shuswap world, such as the role of animals and plants. There is a pit house like those used for wintering, and so on.

The rooms are spotless and comfortable. The dining room has a great view of the lake. The breakfast buffet provides good value. I just wish some of the food had been hotter. I did not try the spa nor golf but I heard the course is a beautiful and offers some nice views.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chase
South Thompson Inn & Conference Center
Chase Country Inn Motel
Sun Peaks Lodge
Sun Peaks Lodge
#3 of 7 in Sun Peaks

Been to Quaaout Lodge & Spa at Talking Rock Golf Resort? Share your experiences!