The Haven Resort
US$127
US$118
Agoda.com
US$71
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The setting is spectacular. The rooms and cabins are older and rustic but clean and comfortable. Our ocean view room had a small kitchen, a new/comfortable pull out sofa as well as queen bed and a stellar view.

But the staff are not well trained, not particularly friendly (strange for this friendly island) and very slow.

The food is abysmal. The meatloaf on Night 2 was the worst thing I have ever been served in a restaurant. The lamb on Night 1 was a close second. I did not have out of the park expectations, but I was very disappointed and hungry all weekend. The salad bar was fully stocked -- but salad for dinner 2 nights in a row was not up to par.

I would stay again, but skip dinner and go to an island restaurant. Breakfast and lunch at The Haven are just passable, but feeding chicken strips to adults is a questionable decision.

Room Tip: Skip dinner at the resort and go to an island restaurant if you prefer something edible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheresaCS
chrisathaven, Manager at The Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear TheresaCS. Thanks for the great comments about the settings and accommodations. I am glad you found them to be comfortable. And I agree, the view really is stellar. I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that you found our staff to be unfrlendly. This is not usually the case, and I will be sure to pass your feedback on. The main business of The Haven are our personal and professional development programs, which we have been offering for nearly 30 years. In July we offer our programs for kids and early teens, which are very popular and fill up a year in advance. We always try to offer something that the kids like to eat, hence the chicken strips. The kids alternate dishes are always extra on top of what is already on the menu. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food while you were here. There are some wonderful restaurants on the island that offer an alternative to eating here. I hope you do come and stay again and if you do, please ask for me. Rachel

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Buffet style dinners, not lots of selection with one meat and one veggie main selection. May be crowded if there are courses running. Closes quite quickly after mealtime.

Reviewed 11 April 2008

We stayed there with a group of family members just before a wedding we were attending in Parksville.

Overall I found the staff to be less than helpful, from check to the restaurant where service was slow and food passable. During the breakfast buffet, I had to walk into the kitchen to ask about ustencils as no one was around. I even had to wait to pay for the rooms.

It is located right on the shore and the views are stunning, there is a hot tub close to the ocen, but it is small and at night you can't gget near it unless you want to squeeze in with a bunch of loud obnoxious partyers.

The room we were in was small and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family