“Never thought of it as a B & B”
Review of The Haven Resort

The Haven Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gabriola Island
The Haven Resort
Ranked #16 of 18 Gabriola Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I was invited to a conference at "The Haven" and, so, thought of it as a resort rather than a B & B where one might stay for a few nights. There are massage rooms, beautiful grounds and several "self-improvement" course with a definite New Age tinge. The food was part of the conference and offered both meat and meatless options, served as a small cafeteria. Coffee and a couple of kinds of tea, along with bread and a toaster, were available always. That came in handy when I stayed one day longer than the conference: there was no breakfast! If they do offer B & B as the reviews seems to suggest, it is worth it, but you will need a car, unless you are a keen walker and don't mind the rain. Gabriola Island is very green and there is a reason for that. Although I have ticked "business" below, it is because it was a conference venue. It would be suitable for the other categories shown.

Room Tip: Hard to say. The rooms are scattered about the property and all have their fine features.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Grant M
rachelathaven, General Manager at The Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Hi Nissology, just a quick word of thanks for your review of your stay at The Haven. We were delighted to host the conference, and happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. You are certainly right about the weather, we have been known to have all 4 seasons in one day here, and an umbrella is essential (we do sell them in our store in case of emergency!). As well as hosting conferences and groups we do, as you say, offer a wide range of programs, although as we are in our 30th anniversary year I'm not sure they qualify as New Age. We also welcome people who just want to stay and spend some time on our beautiful island. I hope you come back one day, and thanks again for your kind words. Rachel Davey, Executive Director.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

I love coming here as it is so peaceful and calm great massages availae and wonderful wks Long the coast of Gabriola. Very accessible from Vancouver or Victoria
not a fancy place but Down To earth and comforttable. Food good quLity but not Cordova. Blue!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank fred7777_10
rachelathaven, Manager at The Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear Fred7777_10 thanks for both of your wonderful reviews of The Haven. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here. I hope that you will come back very soon. Many thanks, Rachel.

Reviewed 6 September 2012

We have stayed at The Haven on a number of occassions over the past three years. Our daughters are now 8 and 11 and we really like the setting which has mostly pedestrian areas, is right next to the ocean (lovely views with great sunsets) and offers buffet style meals.
Rooms vary from large to small depending on price and there are some with a sea view at higher prices.
There is a heated pool, hot tub overlooking the ocean and games room with pool table etc plus a bar.
Food is home style vs gourmet, but just right for our family and mostly fairly health conscious with a well stocked salad bar at all meals.
We love the sense as our kids get older that we can let them wander round the resort and not have to worry about their safety. In summary not a fancy resort, but very warm and friendly with a welcoming staff in our experience.

Room Tip: We liked the forest view rooms, some have a kitchenette included too, but we rarely used that as on...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank fred7777_10
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The setting is spectacular. The rooms and cabins are older and rustic but clean and comfortable. Our ocean view room had a small kitchen, a new/comfortable pull out sofa as well as queen bed and a stellar view.

But the staff are not well trained, not particularly friendly (strange for this friendly island) and very slow.

The food is abysmal. The meatloaf on Night 2 was the worst thing I have ever been served in a restaurant. The lamb on Night 1 was a close second. I did not have out of the park expectations, but I was very disappointed and hungry all weekend. The salad bar was fully stocked -- but salad for dinner 2 nights in a row was not up to par.

I would stay again, but skip dinner and go to an island restaurant. Breakfast and lunch at The Haven are just passable, but feeding chicken strips to adults is a questionable decision.

Room Tip: Skip dinner at the resort and go to an island restaurant if you prefer something edible.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheresaCS
chrisathaven, Manager at The Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Dear TheresaCS. Thanks for the great comments about the settings and accommodations. I am glad you found them to be comfortable. And I agree, the view really is stellar. I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that you found our staff to be unfrlendly. This is not usually the case, and I will be sure to pass your feedback on. The main business of The Haven are our personal and professional development programs, which we have been offering for nearly 30 years. In July we offer our programs for kids and early teens, which are very popular and fill up a year in advance. We always try to offer something that the kids like to eat, hence the chicken strips. The kids alternate dishes are always extra on top of what is already on the menu. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the food while you were here. There are some wonderful restaurants on the island that offer an alternative to eating here. I hope you do come and stay again and if you do, please ask for me. Rachel

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Buffet style dinners, not lots of selection with one meat and one veggie main selection. May be crowded if there are courses running. Closes quite quickly after mealtime.

Reviewed 11 April 2008

We stayed there with a group of family members just before a wedding we were attending in Parksville.

Overall I found the staff to be less than helpful, from check to the restaurant where service was slow and food passable. During the breakfast buffet, I had to walk into the kitchen to ask about ustencils as no one was around. I even had to wait to pay for the rooms.

It is located right on the shore and the views are stunning, there is a hot tub close to the ocen, but it is small and at night you can't gget near it unless you want to squeeze in with a bunch of loud obnoxious partyers.

The room we were in was small and uncomfortable.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
7  Thank patbarbar

Been to The Haven Resort? Share your experiences!