“Horrible food and vomited shortly after eating here, very sick.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Gilly's Family Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 49 Restaurants in Grand Forks
Grand Forks, Canada
“Horrible food and vomited shortly after eating here, very sick.”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

We had eaten here on a few occasions prior to this visit and it was mediocre but edible for a chinese buffet.
The visit a few months ago, prior to this one, the food was overcooked, rubbery/chewy fried scallops and just generally a waste of time and money.
But we decided to go back as that was the worst we'd had so far so gave them the benefit of the doubt.
Unfortunately it got worse. This time the food was cold overall, and in the rice dish I chewed something very unpalatable and extremely bitter and chalky - not resembling a food product at all. The owners were very complacent when I reported it to them, and were unconcerned about their food quality and their responsibility to the wellbeing of their customers, and speaking in front of me in their own language rather than English.
However, aside from that, I'm unsure if it was from whatever was in the food, or simply from the cold food I ate, but shortly after eating I was nauseous and began vomiting violently thereafter. Once I was able to, I called the Health Inspector and discussed it with them, narrowed it down and filed a report to the health board.
My lunch partner was not sick, we did not eat the same dishes, but even the dishes they ate were less than warm.
I would not recommend this 'restaurant' to anyone, we will never go back. I will not risk my health and the health of my loved ones by eating there again.

• Visited October 2013

Grand Forks, British Columbia, Canada
“Horrible !!!”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Went in at dinner time Tuesday after Thanksgiving Weekend. Moved furniture all day and looked forward to a nice meal. smorg pans were minimally full ... mushy vegetables , had to wait almost 30 mins for wonton soup to be topped off ..cold greasy deepfried fake crab, mushy meat with mushy green beans , broccoli was brown! everything in general sucked. Mentioned to staff that at $15 I would never be back for a smorg again with this poor quality .
If your going to eat here don't even think of touching the smorg. The owner just glared my way when I complained . Nothing in the pans was topped off fresh. never again Gilly's!!!

• Visited October 2013
viola, delaware
“Best Chinese Food in Grand Forks”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We ate there with our son and his billet family and all I can say is wow. The food was great, hot, and would eat there again.

Visited September 2013
Grand Forks, Canada
“If you like smorgasbord...”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I am not a fan of smorgasbord and so to do a review of this restaurant will be difficult since I grew up being told if you can't say something nice... don't say anything at all... so if you like smorgasbord then this is definitely the place to eat...

• Visited September 2012
Shelby, Montana
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I did not know that you could find such a good smorg in such a small town. The family I was visiting suggested it and I was sort of scepticle BUT was pleasantly surprised. I would suggest anyone who has time while driving thru, to stop and enjoy the food.

• Visited May 2013