“Terrible service”

Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stopped here on a road trip through BC at about 1pm on a Sunday afternoon. The restaurant was full when we arrived and we sat at the one remaining table. However once we seated ourselves we noticed that most tables were finishing up/leaving and the place was emptying out so we assumed it wouldn't be too long to wait for food. The waitress brought us menus straight away and we both asked for water which she brought back quickly. We decided what we wanted and in that time the two tables either side of us were filled. Another server came around and took orders for those two tables and a third in the corner but just walked around us (we were in the MIDDLE of the restaurant). Fed up, my partner got up and went to the bar where our server was standing to order our meals. She apologised by saying "Sorry it's really busy", which might've been the case 10 minutes earlier when she was processing everyone's bills, but now most of the restaurant had cleared out and she didn't appear to have many tables. Not long after, she approached the table to our right to ask if their orders had been taken, they said yes and she said quite aggressively "oh I just wasn't sure because ______ keeps stealing my tables". Very unprofessional way to speak to customers. She also then returned to me to confirm that I wanted fries not yam fries. After ALL the other tables got their food (as they ordered first) we FINALLY got our main meals and our server asked if there was anything else she could get us, to which we responded that we were still waiting on our starter (potato skins), she said they would be right out. During this whole time she didn't once ask us if we wanted more drinks and the other servers just attended to their own tables and got more drinks and walked around us. We finished our meals and another server came to clear our plates and asked how the food was, I said it was good but we were still waiting on our starter. She said she would check on it right away and came back about 5 minutes later to say they were on their way. By this stage it was about 2.20pm. Finally the second server brought out our potato skins, put them on the table and went to walk away. I stopped her and asked for more waters as ours had been empty a while. She brought the waters back quick enough and cleared the plate when we finished the potato skins. Then we waited and waited for ANY server to return to our table so we could get the bill. We had already decided there would be no tip, in any case, our original server appeared to have left for the day. The other three or so that were working continued to take bills and serve other tables and walk obviously around us, it even seemed like they were avoiding eye contact. I'm sure I could've walked to the bar and asked to pay the bill there, but if everyone else in the restaurant is getting efficient table service, why shouldn't we? Now we are not the type of people to dine and dash, but the terrible service did seem to deserve more than just no tip, and we quickly realised that NONE of the servers had any idea whether or not we'd payed our bill or whose table we were or anything, so at about 3.30pm we got up and walked out. No one thanked us or wished us a nice day, we walked straight past one of the servers and we didn't even get a smile, just more eye contact avoidance.
This place is obviously family run and seems like a place I would enjoy if not for the circumstances. We felt horribly guilty once we left but there is no excuse to ignore customers for the better part of two hours.

Nancy M, Manager at Sasquatch Inn Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

We are very sorry for your experience here at The Sasquatch Inn. As you can see from previous reviews we are well known for our great customer service, atmosphere, and food. You are correct, we are a family owned business, as a matter of fact we are celebrating our 60th Anniversary this year. We are currently showing your review to all our staff to ensure that they are aware of the poor customer service that you experienced. We like to pride ourselves on our fun loving, yet professional atmosphere and want to ensure that this continues with each and every customer that enters our establishment. We would like to invite you to return to The Sasquatch Inn and enjoy the customer service and atmosphere that we believe you should experience. Please feel free to email us directly at sasquatchinn@shaw.ca should you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My local guide from Prestige Sports fishing Mike D reccomended we go to the sasquatch pub to eat and drink after our trip with him. Was not dissapointed and we left full and buzzed. Waitress was good.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Me and my girl came in for a ceaser and she had a tea but when I asked for extra garnish our waitress started to laugh and patted my shoulder and looked at my date and said I have to warn you limes are expensive these days and smiled at my girl.then even she was laughing at me!after our drinks came our waitress came back and said "lift up your drink"then wiped under it and replaced my coaster, and in like a teaching sort of way...asked us if we needed anything more and I just said a water for her,my date and the waitress said you mean a "water" like I pronounced it wrong. But then she and my date smiled at each other. Embarrassing! To say the least. THEN when I tried to pay it was debit and the manager a blonde girl told me to put my card in but then started to like smack the receipt closer and closer to me but laughing!till it seemed to every one in the place the she was like smacking me! it seemed to me any way. and I was really embarrassed then the original waitress was there laughing and I was like stuck in the middle of them waiting for my debit to clear and I looked over at my date and she was watching.

Nancy M, Manager at Sasquatch Inn Ltd, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Very sorry for your unexpected experience. We do try to keep a fun loving and light hearted atmosphere in our pub. We would like to apologize for any misunderstanding, as we don't believe the server meant any harm. We have an outstanding reputation for food and service. We would like to invite you to return to our pub and enjoy the experience you deserve. Please feel free to contact us via email with more details, date and time of the occurrence, so that we can rectify the situation with the staff members involved. sasquatchinn@shaw.ca

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Excellent Caesar salad and burger. The decor brings you back to the old days. The staff are fun and friendly.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Went to the Eagle Festival and needed a place to stop to grab some food before starting home. We noticed a busy parking lot here and decided why not - one of our best decisions!! Food was great, and lots of it. I took a chance and had calamari - tender, and great tasting. A real surprise for a pub. Only thing we found a little off-putting, was the loud atmosphere, but after all, it is a pub.