“Great place to visit for a change in wine country!”

Elephant Island Orchard Wines
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Naramata
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Elephant Island began as a family haven, a place of summer picnics, orchard adventures and magical holidays on the Naramata Bench. Today the elephant has grown into a 6,000 case winery driven to craft wines of character. Wines that sing with the unconventional voice of vanguard fruit. Wines that are balanced by a reverence for traditional winemaking practices. Wines that are rooted and inspired by family history.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This orchard winery is well worth the visit. It's nice to have something different, as this winery only offers fruit wines. Their raspberry dessert wine is to die for and their staff is very friendly. I would highly recommend a stop here!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were treated to a really nice sitting area under trees overlooking the valley. The Pink Elephant was great but the most amazing was the Framboise liquid raspberry heaven! They also have a cherry wine, a must stop on your wine tour.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I did a wine tour and have to say this was my favorite one of all! I guess I love fruit wines... I loved that we got to do our tasting on the deck as it was a relaxing atmosphere. I really wish all the wineries were like this one. The orchard is beautiful, the staff are very nice. Our young lady who was giving us the tasting was on her first day of work and she did a fabulous job! Would HIGHLY recommend this to everyone I know! Fabulous!!

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Seven years ago we lived in the Kootenays and used to visit wineries in the Okanagan a lot. I have never been a fan of fruit wines, but somehow Elephant Island is different. The winery is a bit tricky to get into (you drive down the hill past it and then loop back up into the orchard) and the parking is often at a premium, but the tasting area is airy and roomy and the staff very pleasant to talk with about wine, and unlike elsewhere happy to make suggestions of other wineries to visit and directions. They now have a garden area for drinks and food, and while we didn't partake, it looked very nice. Their wine is comparable with grape wines, dry to sweet and easily paired with food, but my absolutely favourite is the Stellaport. Made from black cherries and seeded with mature port, it is a wonderful dessert wine or served with coffee and sharp cheese. It's expensive and comes in smaller bottles than it once did, but it's still worth it.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I had heard from other reviewers that the tastings here were free, and that you were welcome to bring your own picnic. We stopped at the General Store (very slim pickings here!), got some cheese and crackers, and made our way to Elephant Island. The friendly, bubbly host offered us a cutting board and knife and we sat out on the cute patio. The outdoor space was very child-friendly, with lots of toys and a play area for kids. Being kids at heart ourselves, we picked up the stuffed animal elephant and had him join us for the tasting☺. There were a host of fruit wines for any palate – some sweet, some on the dry side, many delicious. We offered our host some cheese and crackers and she offered us plenty of smiles and good humour. Definitely recommended!