“A positively "average" experience”

Panorama Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Panorama
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“A positively "average" experience”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

It is a beautiful place and a very nice resort. Any accomodation on the hill is great after a day skiing and this resort has lots of nice on-hill accomodation.

In terms of skiing, there is a huge flaw in their planning, however, and I am surprised they have never done anything about it. I stayed mainly on the back of the mountain because the front was sun baked and had poor snow coverage (which I have heard is not uncommon on this mountain). The back was much better skiing but after each run we had to traverse to the front and then take 2 lifts to get back to the top (3 if you miss the first traverse). I hate traversing every run and the down time to get back up really impacts the number of runs. They need a lift on the back otherwise it will remain a intermediate ski run destination.

In terms of the resort, I have always heard it was a great "family" resort but I beg to differ. There was a massive party on our floor that went well into the wee small hours. Also, there was screaming and yelling outside all night long by drunken people. Finally, they have those hotel doors that slam whenever they close. The party was between two rooms and they went back and forth all nigth long, slam, slam, slam... The resort did nothing about it that I could tell. I was with friends and not family so it was not a big deal to me, but I am not going to bring kids to that. They will be up all night then difficult all day. Hire security and make them do rounds!!

Also, there was not enough underground parking by any stretch. In my complex there were 5 or 6 floors and at least 11 units on every floor, but there was mabe space for 15-20 cars in the underground. There is no street parking so I had to drive quite a way to park my car in the main day lot. If it was cold, would my car have sarted? It was not, but for a winter sport it is an issue.

Also, they do not take dogs at all, I asked on my way out. This was a "friends" trip so I did not bring a dog, but when I travel with the family we always bring our dog. Most resorts now accept dogs, these guys need to get out the 1980's. I don't mind paying a bit more for a lesser room or a bad view, but I my dog is part of my family.

A small thing but I see it all the time in these condo type rooms: the worst coffee maker of all time was found at this hotel, the worst!! After listening to slam slam slam, party party party all night long I really needed coffee. I am paying 100's of dollars a night for goodness sake, coffee makers are cheap, get something decent.

Otherwise the rooms were nice and well appointed but everything seemed "builder grade". The rooms were "nice".

All the staff were lovely however, great service and very great people there. Also, the food at the T-Bar bar and grill was excellent, this was not bar food this was fresh and made in kitchen.

Room Tip: All the rooms in our complex had a nice view, but I would insist they give you the udnerground parki...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
PanoramaMountain, Manager at Panorama Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Darryl,

Thanks for your recent visit! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the resort and felt welcomed by our staff. I'd like to address a few points in your review.

re: Skiing
- Great to hear that you found some great skiing on the backside of the mountain. Conditions on the mountain change quite a bit during the ski season. Sometimes the backside is better, sometimes the font and other times it's all great!

re: Resort
We are proud that many families love Panorama and often refer to the resort as their second home. I'm sorry to hear that the party on your floor kept you up at night. That is certainly not the experience we strive for. We have security on every evening but the resort encompasses quite a large area and it's virtually impossible for them to cruise every floor all night. In the future I'd recommend a quick call to our front desk who can dispatch security right away.

re: Parking
Unfortunately the underground parking lot in the 1000 Peaks Summit Lodge is smaller than we'd like. In the near future a new lodge adjacent to the 1000 Peaks Summit lodge will be built with a larger parking lot available to guests of both lodges.

re: Dogs
All our condo units are owned by individual owners and as a group they've asked that we don't allow dogs in their units. So we respect their wishes. I know it's not ideal, but there are kennels locally in Invermere that some of our guests utilize while they are visiting Panorama.

re: Coffee Makers
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the coffee maker in your room. The standard coffee makers on resort are fairly high quality that we purchased fairly recently.

Thanks for the review and thanks again for visiting Panorama. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2014

It was warm in temps as well as ambiance.
The convenience of on-hill accommodations is why we chose Panorama, but this place has more to offer than many. Many restaurants, a full warm pool & 2 hot-tubs (altho they were not exactly HOT) & steam room, full store that stocked ski/board equipment & more, & a gym. Our boys (10 & 12) enjoy the Ski School for the friendly & helpful instructors as well as yummy lunches. Maddy gets special mention for her sweet nature & help in getting our young boarder over his fear of his toe edge! Thanks Maddy!
Overall, the staff were welcoming, helpful & willing to assist. Most staff. The guy in the tech shop (?Name?) who was fitting our son's new bindings to his new skis (that were purchased at that very shop) seemed as if we imposed upon him (despite the price including this service). I guess we should be grateful that he was only rude to my husband, and not our son.
The condo was perfect for our needs, & clean upon arrival. We stayed 4 nights, & according to their policy, we should have had housekeeping come on the middle night. Should have. None came for the whole time. We kept it tidy ourselves, & often used the pool towels for showers at the pool, so we didn't run out, but... nonetheless. The garbages were pretty full. These rooms are NOT soundproof. The rules were followed by our fellow travellers (no noise 11-7) for the most part, but you can hear hallway voices clearly & thumping overhead as well as in the hallway. I recommend bringing a noise maker if you have trouble!
The conditions were ok, but any lack of snow was consistent across the Rockies this year, and anyone who has been around can tell you that even the places with "the greatest snow on earth" have bare patches at times. The lifties were friendly and not distracted as they can be at other resorts. There were minimal line-ups & rare stoppages while ON the lifts. We ski blue/black, and there is reasonable variety with options for nice long runs. Night skiing here is fun, too.
Check-out was smooth, although it would be nice if we didn't have to go to the central Check-in building to do it. Many hotels allow checkout electronically (via TV etc) now, and that means you don't have to wait in line when you really just want to hit the road!

Room Tip: Maybe top floor for a more peaceful stay? There are elevators, so it doesn't make much differen...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MumJakeShy
PanoramaMountain, Manager at Panorama Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you really enjoyed the resort. I'll be sure to pass on your feedback to Maddy in Snow School. Sounds like we missed the mark on a couple of occasions, but I'll be sure that your feedback gets passed along to the managers involved so we can make improvements going forward. Thanks again and we hope to see you back again soon!
Millicent, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Tayton, with our teenage daughter. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful, with a great mix of different nationalities, and as we where continuing on to New York and Toronto it was like having a lot of travel advisors in the one location. The prices for eating out in the mountain was good, and the quality of the food excellent. Being in the upper village, everything was close. Would recommend as very family friendly.

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Sharon C
PanoramaMountain, Manager at Panorama Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thanks for the great feedback!
Prince Albert, Canada
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Stayed here a few days ago. Liked it. Not the most glamorous place to stay in the area but for the $85 a night we paid it was adequate. Don't bother forking over cash for the internet as it's so slow that it's useless any time during the day except maybe very early mornings when nobody else is using it. It's a joke that they're actually charging for this 'amenity'.

Room Tip: The building adjacent to the lift is the most convenient, IMO.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank davidson168
We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The Pine Inn is a fantastic place to get a great deal on accommodation right next to the chairlift. The internet service at the resort is provided by a third party and we're working with them to improve the quality of their service. They should be serving customers high speed internet at all times. Thanks for the feedback and we hope to see you again soon!
Lehi, Utah, United States
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This resort is right at the base of the mountain. It is a great location - virtually all buildings are within a few hundred feet of the lift.

The room was clean and comfortable. Enough room to spread out and get comfortable. The building was in better condition than what you would expect from a ski resort property.

You have to purchase WiFi, but the signal was good in my room. There was plenty of underground parking - a must in a ski resort!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
PanoramaMountain, Public Relations Manager at Panorama Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the feedback and we're thrilled you enjoyed your time here at the mountain!
Best regards,
JH
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Very nice resort, lots of amenities to keep the family busy, even during the off season. When my wife and went (October), the golf course was closed for the winter and the ski hill was not yet open, but hiking was available, a couple of restaurants were open, a couple of retail shops were open as well. The staff were extremely friendly!!! If you are looking for some relaxing, quiet time and some fresh air this is the place and the time of year!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Garry B
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the resort. The golf course typically closes in early October but closed a little early this year in order to begin construction on a new state of the art clubhouse. They also did a bunch of work on the golf course including re-pave many of the cart paths. If you're back next year in early October the course will be better than ever!
Calgary
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This was our second visit to Panorama during the summer. This time the grandchildren came along and we had a blast. Lots to do together! The apartment we got was well designed, but the carpet is CRYING out loud to be replaced. Furniture has also seen better days. Pools were nice and clean, lots of other activities around.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fortaleza_7
Thanks for the review. Sounds like you really enjoyed your stay. We've actually replaced a lot of the carpets in rooms throughout the resort, but there are still a few that need to get done. Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panorama
Earl Grey Lodge
Earl Grey Lodge
#2 of 2 in Panorama
Best Western Plus Prestige Inn Radium Hot Springs
Best Western Plus Prestige Inn R...
#3 of 22 in Radium Hot Springs
Fairmont Mountainside Vacation Villas
Fairmont Mountainside Vacation V...
#2 of 4 in Fairmont Hot Springs
#4 of 22 in Radium Hot Springs
Embarc Panorama
Embarc Panorama
#2 of 5 in Panorama

Been to Panorama Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!