“DO NOT GO TO PANORMA MOUNTAIN VILLAGE”

Panorama Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Panorama
Calgary, Canada
“DO NOT GO TO PANORMA MOUNTAIN VILLAGE”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The price for this "village" was way too high for what you get. We statyed in the horsetheif part of the hotel. These rooms were last updated in the 80's. There was a drinking water advisory that the staff neglected to advise the quests, unless you think of putting one piece of paper on one door was warning enough for your guests, the bed was very uncomfortable, and a problem with mice. The pool change area appeared to be cleaned every 3-4 days, the parking spot assigned to us would not fit a smart car, and the staff were not helpful in the slightest. You are much better off staying at fairmont hot springs.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank d p
Scott M, Manager at Panorama Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. That's certainly not what we strive for and it's not the feedback we get from most of our guests. I can assure you that the rooms have been updated since the 80's ...

Scott M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Reviewed 5 August 2014

So I always read tripadvisor prior to booking anything and I always look at family reviews and I know that not everyone has the same expectations when traveling or on vacation. I am normally either prepared for the deal I just got or I'm happier then expected.. I'm rarely let down because I feel I've been informed ahead of time of pros and cons...
I for the first time don't understand ANY of the complaints about this resort. It's a beautiful drive to get there. Once there you have a central booking and if you booked on their site you could have gotten deals on any of the family fun so all is paid before you arrive.

We stayed in Pine Inn. I was expecting .. no fridge.. no microwave and that it could be dirty.. I packed a cooler and had breakfast and lunches covered for 3 days. We got in our room and it was HUGE. Much bigger then expected .. we even set up another mattress for the kids and they had room to dance around still. Honestly the beds were fine and the cooler did the trick. They even gave us ice to top it up daily!

We ate at the Tbar which was great pub food.. their soups were so good. Beef dip awesome.
We ate at wildfire.. elf loaf is amazing and so is mac and cheese.
We ate at the golfcourse for our last breakfast and it was great too.

Prices were fair for all the food.

We did an art class and painted a canvas for $15 each.. mmmm you don't get that for the canvas and paint and 4 instructors for a group of 10 in the class in Calgary!

We went up to sightsee and down to fun zone.. we have 15 passes for the 3 days that were included in my booking and the kids rockclimbed and did Eurobungy and mini golf.

The Pool alone can entertain anyone for days!

There is so much to do and construction NEVER woke us up. Thunderstorms were the only negative and they can't control that!

We intend to go back this winter!

Room Tip: 3rd floor was great.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the great feedback Sojie! Sounds like you had a great vacation. I'm glad to hear that the construction didn't cause you any problems. You should come back in the winter and try out the new chairlift!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

There was no indication of construction going on at the time of my reservation so we felt very cheated upon our arrival. We had to listen to construction noise all day by the pool and that's not how I want to spend my vacation!

On top of the construction we were booked into room 109 at the springs and it was a nightmare! If it wasn't bad enough already with all the noise outside we had to come back to our room and listen to what sounded like a herd of buffalo for hours from all the noise from the common room above us. When I called to complain and ask to move they the manager wanted to charge me $90 more a night to move to a two bedroom because there was no one bedrooms left?! I'm already paying close to $400 a night to spend my vacation with a bunch of construction I surely wasn't going to pay more!!

I think the resort should give full disclosure of any construction or activities/restaurants that are closed at booking time to avoid having customers feel cheated.
My kids were extremely excited to go on the chair lift and get mile high pizza only to find out it was closed.

We spent a few days there in March skiing and we had a great time so we decided to come back in the summer. I thought this resort would be a great place to spend many holidays over the years but we fell very cheated and may never go back.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor only...you can hear every step taken in this hotel so you don't want peopl...
Hi Carlos,

I'm sorry to hear that you felt cheated. We looked up your reservation and noticed that you received a free upgrade to a two bedroom unit after you complained about the noise in 109. You booked on the Family Mountain Fun package and your room rate was $170/night. Your nightly charges were a little higher than that because you booked on a package and received a Family Fun Pass for every night you stayed (which includes sightseeing chairlift rides, mini golf, use of the climbing wall, and fun zone every day for your whole family).

We do close some restaurants during the summer due to the fact that the resort sees lower volumes in the summer but we try to be very clear about what's open and closed. We post our hours of operation on our website http://www.panoramaresort.com/hours-of-operation/ and link to that page in our confirmation email. We are selling Mile High Pizza in the Picnic Cafe after 5pm all summer to serve our guests who want pizza in the summer.

The chairlift has operated as usual all summer. The only time it closes during operating hours (10am - 5pm daily) is when there is lightning in the area.

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit in March. I know you were frustrated by the construction but the upside is we'll have a new chairlift for you to enjoy if you choose to come see us again.

Again, sorry that you felt cheated, but I'm happy to see that we did our best to make your stay enjoyable while you were here.

Scott M

Travellers are raving about these Panorama hotels

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my family went to panorama for our summer vacation. We had booked a month prior to going. When we arrived we immediately realized that the place was under serious construction. This was a big red flag considering when we booked nothing was mentioned about construction. There were roads and parts of the resort blocked off and big machinery ripping everything apart. It's great that they are doing upgrades, considering most of the rooms and general store are stuck in the 70s. The staff was however were very friendly and always cheerful. They also had fun family activities the only downside was that almost everything costed $$. After only the second day I felt I've seen almost everything they had to offer and got quite bored. I wouldn't go back considering it's a six hour drive and not saying nothing about the construction at the time of booking left me feeling very cheated. We all go away for some RNR and if I wanted to hear machines running at 7 am I would have stayed home. Save your money there's other beautiful places in the mountains to visit.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hi Joel.

Yes we installed a new chairlift this summer which is now complete and ready for the 2014/15 winter season! You should come and try it out. Unfortunately there were some areas of the village blocked off for our guest's safety during construction but we think it'll make for a better experience going forward. I'm really surprised to hear that you got bored after a couple of days. There's so much to do! Rafting, ATVing, world class golf, hiking, biking, horseback riding, just to name a few. Plus, the Columbia Valley is just minutes away and there's so much to see there too. If you return, I'd recommend spending some time with our Guest Services staff and they can recommend a great itinerary for you to make the most of your time here.

Thanks for the feedback Joel. All the best.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed in the Skitip building in a one bedroom condo on the third floor for 2 nights, using a Travelzoo voucher/deal that included reduced rates and free chairlift passes. We got plenty of emails from the resort warning us about the boil water advisory in advance (which is now over) and saying they were looking forward to us coming. We were surprised there was no air conditioning in the unit, or free Wifi anywhere, but other than that, it was great! And the weather was pretty cool, so that helped. We picked up some milk at the grocery store and my husband enjoyed the kicking horse coffee. We had takeout from the grill (pea soup and an elk burger, which were ok), lunch at the picnic cafe (smoothie, burger with fried egg on it and chicken avocado sandwich- all tasty!) and ordered the Americano pizza for supper one night, which was so-so. It would have been helpful to have take out menus in the rooms. The front desk staff were very helpful. We rode the chairlift and did a short 1 km walk with our toddler up in the gorgeous mountains. We saw plenty of deer and even a black bear cub! Our toddler also loved the gondola, which is free to ride. I enjoyed a 1.5 hour adult archery session for $15 and my husband and I enjoyed a round of mini golf. There is plenty to do, lots of kids and family activities. The pools and waterslides are fun too. Hit the pool around 6pm or later for less people. The only night that was loud was friday night when there was a Corona party on, but people/neighbours did quiet down just after 11 pm. We had a great time and would love to come back to ski in the winter! Or to mountain bike in the summer when our tot is a little older! It's pretty expensive to rent everything to mountain bike for a day- about $130. It is a 20 minute uphill drive from Invermere and about 4 hours drive from Calgary.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Great play by play of your stay. Very cool that you got see see a black bear cub! Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you again soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

One of the best holidays ive ever been on. First ever skiing trip and we could not have picked a better place to start. Stunning views from our room. The room itself was a large corner room plenty of space for a family. Food and drink faciltys on the resort are surprisingly good and even though its only a small place there is plenty to do. I will deffinatly be returning when i can!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the amazing feedback. We're really pleased to hear that it was one of your best holidays ever. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We travelled to Panorama July 9th - 12th. The resort is in a beautiful location. It's about a 20 minute drive from Invermere and 4 hour drive from Calgary. We booked a one bedroom condo thru Expedia.

The resort is under a BOIL WATER advisory - which the Resort did not communicate on the Panorama website or our confirmation prior to booking. The resort gave us a complimentary 4 litre bottle of water, which lasted 8 hours. The resort refused to give any more water and made us pay for additional clean drinking water.

The resort placed us in a 1 bedroom suite in the Skitip building. Skitip is in a great location its on top of the hill, close to the tram and swimming pool. However, the building is in rough shape - it's worn-out. The room was incredibly small, old and dated. The building and it's rooms needs to be updated. Additionally, they have a rodent problem - a mouse scurried across our unit's floor. Due to this, the resort placed us in the Panorama Springs building which was a little bit nicer than Skitip - but not much.

Overall, my kids (5 and 2 yrs) had a great time. The pool was a knock-out hit. But seriously, that's the only good thing about Panorama resort. It looks like a lot of fun during the winter but I think there are better alternatives in the Windermere Valley during the summer.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the Panorama Springs building
4 Thank Cam S
Hi Cam,

I'm glad that enjoyed our beautiful location in the BC mountains but I'm sorry that you didn't have a great experience (although it sounds like your kids had fun!).

Yes we had a boil water advisory in the early part of the summer. Unfortunately it's somewhat out of our control as there is a local utility that services our resort water. However, we're working hard with the utility to find a solution.

You mentioned that you booked through Expedia. We advise all our guests that book through us of the advisory and it's difficult to get that message to guests who book through a third party.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the condos. Most of our guests find them quite nice, but if you're looking for a higher quality we have some newer condos and townhomes that might meet your standards. If you book through Panorama, our reservations agents will be happy to help you find suitable accommodation.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Scott M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panorama
Earl Grey Lodge
Earl Grey Lodge
#2 of 2 in Panorama
Best Western Invermere Inn
Best Western Plus Prestige Inn Radium Hot Springs
Best Western Plus Prestige Inn R...
#3 of 22 in Radium Hot Springs
Fairmont Mountainside Vacation Villas
Fairmont Mountainside Vacation V...
#2 of 4 in Fairmont Hot Springs
Copper Point Resort
Copper Point Resort
#1 of 3 in Invermere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,398 reviews
Bighorn Meadows Resort
Bighorn Meadows Resort
#4 of 22 in Radium Hot Springs

Been to Panorama Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!