“Incredibly helpful staff”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Port McNeill
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Incredibly helpful staff”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed overnight, on our way to a week's boat cruise. The rooms were OK - nothing special, but entirely comfortable. We weren't too excited by the breakfast offering, but lunch and dinner were excellent. The highlight, however, was the attitude of the staff. On our way back through town after the cruise, on our way to fly to Vancouver, we had a very good lunch at the hotel restaurant - and then discovered that the local taxi company had lost our bookings (despite several calls to confirm!) and had no cars available - so we had no way to get to the airport - a 40-minute drive away. The proprietors and their family members offered to take us in their own cars, and the lady who drove us (Christine) refused payment. Their helpfulness rescued us from a very difficult situation. Really really nice people!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Betws y Coed
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We stayed here as it was the only available place, after being let down by (or rather had a lucky escape from) The Dalewood Inn.

We were given a room in what appeared to be the older part of the motel, in a separate block from the rest of the establishment. The room was shabby, with bare cinder block walls, stuffy air and an ill fitting carpet - it felt like a prison cell. I didn't want to look to closely to see how clean it was, best not to think about it. We were woken at 5am by the trucks parked right outside our window revving their engines. A seriously overpriced dump.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Port McNeill hotels

British Columbia
Reviewed 15 September 2012

A work related trip, last minute, and the usual accomodation was booked. Managed to find room at the Haida Way Inn. Had been warned not to expect much, and found it worse then expected. A musty smokey smell in the room...and then...I don't even want to hazard a guess what the foreign substances were that were all over the bedskirt on one bed...and pet hair on the bedskirt on the other bed. When I relayed the problem to the front desk, I was told that I could be juggled into another room, but they were booked up and someone would have to stay in that room at some point. I suggested they get housekeeping into the room...and overheard the clerk talking to another employee...."She says the room isn't clean....well....not clean enough". Seriously? Not clean "enough"???? I was then told they don't allow pets at the hotel, so I must be wrong about the pet hair. Not likely. And, as housekeeping walked by me, and asked, which bed was it.... I said both! A response which they seemed less then pleased to hear. The bedskirts were changed, the night passed...and I won't be returning.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Diane S
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I recently stayed at Haida-Way during a trip up-island with my 70+ mother. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay at the Inn, and I was particularly impressed by how comfortable the beds were. Ultimately, I was there to sleep, and sleep I did - like a baby.

Port McNeil is a tiny, hardworking, fishing and timber town and this is hardly a destination hotel, but if you are on the way somewhere and need something convenient or central in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. The rooms seem set up for those who are on the road, and if you are sick of restuarant food, you will be happy to know that in addition to a coffee maker and fridge, there is a microwave in the room. There are 2 supermarkets just down the street (5 minute walk).

Despite the 1970s architecture and drab exterior, the place has been kept up, I was a little surprised to find an LCD TV and aside from that, the room was basic but spotlessly clean with everything in good condition. Most important to me, the beds in our room were *amazing* - my best sleep in weeks, of that trip, and maybe the last 10 hotels I have stayed in. The breakfast was good - enough and quite healthy - coffee was served, so we ended up not making the coffee in our room.

The staff people were very attentive and friendly, particularly the morning receptionist who remembered me from making the reservation and even asked about a stop I had said we would make on the way up (Telepgraph Cove).

Room Tip: I don't know if they have changed all of the beds, but maybe ask for a room with newer beds? Our...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I wasn't expecting much but the price beat spending at least three times the amount for a ten minute drive. Rooms were basic but okay. Receptionist was okay but had some issues understanding her recommendations for somewhere to eat. Shower needs to be improved upon as I couldn't seem to get it to work properly. Overall, its a basic, affordable clean place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 January 2012

There were not many choices in Port McNeill and we looked at one that was scary and one that was $30 more. This was the middle ground. Residual smoke smell in our rooms and the beds were pretty worn. I did some laundry and noticed that the dryer filters were broken. I worried a bit about a laundry room fire.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank 21lisas
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We spent three nights at Haida Way in Port McNeill, room and bathroom were clean and comfortable, staff friendly and helpful. Reasonably priced, it included full breakfasts.
(The rug in the dining room needs replacing).
We were quite satisfied with this accomodation.
From there it was a short trip to Port Hardy, Malcolm Island and Telegraph Cove, all pictoresque sites to visit.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Cedar Park Resort Cottages & RV Camping
Alder Bay Resort
Alder Bay Resort
#3 of 4 in Port McNeill

Been to Haida Way Motor Inn? Share your experiences!