“Our little trip to Haida Way Motor Inn”

Haida Way Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Port McNeill
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
“Our little trip to Haida Way Motor Inn”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

A month ago me my boyfriend and our dog visited Haida Way Motor Inn Hotel for a night. They have two building, the main building does not allow dogs, but gladly the Motel building did. At first we were not sure if we wanted to rent a room, the building looks old and we were scared the service wouldn't be good. We finally rent a room in the Motel.The room was really simple but clean and it was quiet and peaceful. The beds were very comfortable. We took a smoking room because we're both smokers and we were impressed to even find smoking rooms still available in our days.Even if the room was for smokers it was clean and the smell wasn't bad at all. We spent the rest of the night at the pub situated beside the Motel.
We thought the prices were really affordable for our limited budget. The staff was very friendly and helped us with directions.
We had a blast and we will definitely visit Haida Way Motor Inn again.

Room Tip: The motel was really quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wyzu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Had to travel to Port Hardy on short notice, and chose this place as the best option available, as others were full. On entering the room, there's an overwhelming smell of stale something (cleaners? smoke?), but we opened the windows (air conditioning not provided nor needed) and it aired out quickly. The concrete block walls are a bit stark, but it does keep the place quiet. Basic, but clean.The place is old, but well kept. No complaints.

A previous reviewer said "overpriced", and that was my initial thought too, but it was peak summer season. You have to consider this is a very small town with a very short tourist season. The included full breakfast was easily worth $10, so in that context the value was there.

I'm happy to get coffee and cereal for breakfast, but this was a full buffet with coffee, eggs, sausage, french toast, juice, etc. A great start to the day.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food in the hotel restaurant - Northern Lights. I'll have to get around to a separate review of it, but I was very happy with my meal.

Overall: Don't expect the Hilton, but if you want a clean comfortable stay, highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2013

For what it is , it could be a little bit cheaper. However the room was clean , the staff were super friendly and I had a great night of sleep!!
The restaurant is really good and the location is perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We chose this hotel because the review for the only other one in Port McNeill was terrible. It is not often that we give a bad review but this was worth mentioning. Check in was ok, the room was clean but hot and smelled like smoke, even-though it was a non smoking room. We booked on hotwire which still was overpriced but when it came to pay there was a $15 dollar extra surcharge for having a second person - however it was a double room. The shower did not work - we needed pliers to operate the diverter and the breakfast was the worst you could imagine. The coffee was bad, the hard boiled eggs tasteless, the toast old and stale, the toaster old and slow and not doing a great job and the juices watered down and too sweet.

Room Tip: try the cheaper hotel or drive to town first and knock on doors on the other hotels or places to sta...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peter L

Travellers are raving about these Port McNeill hotels

Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I've stayed here several times, and have always been well served. Rooms are always clean and comfortable. I appreciate the fridge and microwave. The included hot breakfast is far better than in most motels, with good food and plenty of variety. My most recent visit was earlier thins week, and the service was exceptional. I got home to discover I'd left a case in the bathroom that contained some important meds. Haida Way contacted me immediately, and made arrangements to send the case by courier. I had it within 24 hours!

Stayed June 2013
Parksville, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I have lived on Vancouver Island for 34 years and for the first time went to the top end of the Island to do some whale watching. We went with a group so this motel was not our personal choice. Although a bit utilitarian by some standards it was very clean, had most things one needs, a nice queen size bed, clean sheets, hot water, a T.V. and free WiFi, was very quiet and the food was very good. We started with a lunch consisting of 4 types of soup and a variety of sandwiches, croissants and buns. The dinner was roast beef, chicken or salmon, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, vegetables and rice plus desserts. Breakfast was eggs, sausage, hash browns, etc. Very good ordinary food nicely cooked. Would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Canterbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I found myself at Haida Way when travelling over from the UK to visit a friend who is nannying in Canada for a year to see how she was getting on and also catch a bit of break from work at the same time. Although when booking I thought the prices were quite steep, after arriving I was satisfied that I had spent my money on adequate services. When arriving, the staff were very kind and pleasant which made me feel at home, this was really great for me as I was travelling on my own I was particularly worried that the environment of the hotel would be anti-social and awkward.They were also very helpful with any queries I had such as using my laptop in my room, and stated that I could use their computer in the lobby which had free internet – I was really chuffed with this as I have been to endless hotels where you have to pay a ridiculous price for just five minutes of internet!

I had a wander round the small town and felt that the tradition of it was very apparent. The town boasts activities that are true to its history and this makes the whole area seem a lot more homely to a visitor – I particularly enjoyed the whale watching which was truly breathtaking, and an exciting activity. I really feel that Port Mcneill is a fantastic place to get away from the stress of reality and have some quiet time.

I had been warned not to expect much and I can say with complete honestly that my stay at Haita Way was really not as bad as I had anticipated. Although the rooms were not fantastically decorated and seemed quite old, the beds were comfortable and the space within the room was adequate. This along with a slightly high pricing for the rooms were the only aspects that were not exceptional, otherwise I really enjoyed my stay and would like to thank the staff for making me feel so welcome and at ease!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Alert Bay Cabins
Alert Bay Cabins
#1 of 1 in Alert Bay
Cedar Park Resort Cottages & RV Camping

Been to Haida Way Motor Inn? Share your experiences!