“It's Okay”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Port McNeill
Concord, NC
“It's Okay”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

First let me say that there isn't much choice in Port McNeill, and if you are able to stay in nearby Telegraph Cove, I would recommend that instead. If you need to be in Port McNeill, Haida Way is probably as good a choice as any (and there isn't much choice). The hotel is old and in need of some renovations. Rooms are adequate, but certainly nothing special. Although we were in a non-smoking room, our sheets and towels had obviously spent some time in a smoking room. The hotel restaurant (where breakfast is served) barely qualifies as adequate, and I would suggest finding another option. There is a good restaurant attached (Northern Lights) that is a good option for dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Brightlingsea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

About a month ago I had the pleasure of staying at the Haida Way hotel for a couple of nights. I didn't have much notice of this business trip and I took pot luck when booking this hotel, I was in a hurry and the Haida Hotel was close to where I needed to be and had reservations so I went ahead and booked. I was a little apprehensive as I normally research a hotel before I decide to stay there but there just wasn't time on this occasion.

Fortunately for me this hotel was quite nice, I did find the rooms to be a bit bare but it was clean and tidy and well kept. The hotel is quite old and has a lot of character but the upkeep is very good and the staff are very helpful and extremely friendly. During my stay I had quite a lot of work to get through so I appreciated that the hotel was quiet and relaxing. On the food side of things I was quite impressed too, I particularly liked the "full breakfast", eggs, bacon, sausage etc - much nicer than the cereal I had at the last hotel I stayed in.

When you take into the consideration the quality of the food, and how well kept the rooms are I would say that the price is quite reasonable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2013

A month ago me my boyfriend and our dog visited Haida Way Motor Inn Hotel for a night. They have two building, the main building does not allow dogs, but gladly the Motel building did. At first we were not sure if we wanted to rent a room, the building looks old and we were scared the service wouldn't be good. We finally rent a room in the Motel.The room was really simple but clean and it was quiet and peaceful. The beds were very comfortable. We took a smoking room because we're both smokers and we were impressed to even find smoking rooms still available in our days.Even if the room was for smokers it was clean and the smell wasn't bad at all. We spent the rest of the night at the pub situated beside the Motel.
We thought the prices were really affordable for our limited budget. The staff was very friendly and helped us with directions.
We had a blast and we will definitely visit Haida Way Motor Inn again.

Room Tip: The motel was really quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wyzu
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Had to travel to Port Hardy on short notice, and chose this place as the best option available, as others were full. On entering the room, there's an overwhelming smell of stale something (cleaners? smoke?), but we opened the windows (air conditioning not provided nor needed) and it aired out quickly. The concrete block walls are a bit stark, but it does keep the place quiet. Basic, but clean.The place is old, but well kept. No complaints.

A previous reviewer said "overpriced", and that was my initial thought too, but it was peak summer season. You have to consider this is a very small town with a very short tourist season. The included full breakfast was easily worth $10, so in that context the value was there.

I'm happy to get coffee and cereal for breakfast, but this was a full buffet with coffee, eggs, sausage, french toast, juice, etc. A great start to the day.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food in the hotel restaurant - Northern Lights. I'll have to get around to a separate review of it, but I was very happy with my meal.

Overall: Don't expect the Hilton, but if you want a clean comfortable stay, highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2013

For what it is , it could be a little bit cheaper. However the room was clean , the staff were super friendly and I had a great night of sleep!!
The restaurant is really good and the location is perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We chose this hotel because the review for the only other one in Port McNeill was terrible. It is not often that we give a bad review but this was worth mentioning. Check in was ok, the room was clean but hot and smelled like smoke, even-though it was a non smoking room. We booked on hotwire which still was overpriced but when it came to pay there was a $15 dollar extra surcharge for having a second person - however it was a double room. The shower did not work - we needed pliers to operate the diverter and the breakfast was the worst you could imagine. The coffee was bad, the hard boiled eggs tasteless, the toast old and stale, the toaster old and slow and not doing a great job and the juices watered down and too sweet.

Room Tip: try the cheaper hotel or drive to town first and knock on doors on the other hotels or places to sta...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peter L

Travellers are raving about these Port McNeill hotels

Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I've stayed here several times, and have always been well served. Rooms are always clean and comfortable. I appreciate the fridge and microwave. The included hot breakfast is far better than in most motels, with good food and plenty of variety. My most recent visit was earlier thins week, and the service was exceptional. I got home to discover I'd left a case in the bathroom that contained some important meds. Haida Way contacted me immediately, and made arrangements to send the case by courier. I had it within 24 hours!

Stayed June 2013
McNeill's Inn On The Harborfront
Alert Bay Cabins
Alert Bay Cabins
#1 of 1 in Alert Bay

Been to Haida Way Motor Inn? Share your experiences!