“Great Staff.”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Port McNeill
B.C. Canada
“Great Staff.”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We had only one night here, before a business meeting, and then a hasty drive south. Booked on line, a mistake as it negated the special rate that the local Lions Club had arranged. Had never visited Port McNeil before, so were guessing about accommodation.
Staff at the hotel were very good; reception especially, and house-keeping and breakfast serving personnel answered questions and provided little extra services which made my wife's stay, (she has some mobility problems) the more pleasant.
Room was comfortable if somewhat "over-furnished". Ideally each room could do with being 6 feet wider, but that clearly would entail major and expensive renos..
Did not use the restaurant or pub, but heard many good things about both.

Room Tip: Rooms at the eastern end are further away from the pub,, which stays open quite ;late.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Great hotel choice for Port McNeill. We stayed two nights, over the weekend. The restaurant was pretty key. There are a few options around town but it was nice having food and drink until late. I'd rate it a step up from typical pub fare. (The Bacon Cheddar Mushroom Burger was probably the best thing I had there). Our stay was a 'layover' of sorts. We just wanted to kick back, drink and sleep while we were there. (We likely spent more time in the pub than we did our rooms).
We got clean rooms, comfy beds, drinks, and good food. We made ourselves right at home and made sure to hit up the liquor store. I didn't bring my laptop but was able to use their lobby computer to check email and keep up with my fantasy baseball. Aside from the lobby area being a bit musty, we had no complaints. All in all, we were just really comfortable there and for just north of a hundred bucks a night, it turned out great.
I don't see us being in the area in the future, but if we do find ourselves around there, we'd stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room near the bar. The sound doesn't carry and it'll be a short stumble home after clo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Ellensburg, Washington
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This place is a bit dated but a good value in Port McNeil. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Check in was smooth and efficient. We met here for a trip with Sea Kayak Adventures (which was awesome) and spent the night before and after the trip. The restaurant in the building is outstanding. The bar was fun at night.

Room Tip: It's pretty quiet, so doesn't matter as long as you get your smoking preference.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed here on our way to a whale watching trip last month. It was getting late so we decided to stop for the night and catch the ferry boat to Cormorant Island the next day. Port McNeill is a tiny town and there are not really many options when it comes to hotels and accomodations. But we were lucky and found a room at the Haida Way even without booking in advance. As said, it was a little late when we arrived but the people from hotel staff were nice and didn't seem to mind at all.
The best news was that they also have a pub/restaurant that serves food until late at night: nice! We were dreading the idea of being forced to skip the meal and go straight to bed :)
Our room was clean and reasonably quiet, the price for one night was just slightly over our budget but it was high season and the complimentary breakfast kind of made up for it anyway.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Lantzville
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed two nights for a whale watching trip. Unfortunately the room did not have air conditioning, which made it difficult to sleep and could hear noises from the kitchen. The room was clean and breakfast was good with a variety to choose from.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Concord, NC
Reviewed 15 August 2013

First let me say that there isn't much choice in Port McNeill, and if you are able to stay in nearby Telegraph Cove, I would recommend that instead. If you need to be in Port McNeill, Haida Way is probably as good a choice as any (and there isn't much choice). The hotel is old and in need of some renovations. Rooms are adequate, but certainly nothing special. Although we were in a non-smoking room, our sheets and towels had obviously spent some time in a smoking room. The hotel restaurant (where breakfast is served) barely qualifies as adequate, and I would suggest finding another option. There is a good restaurant attached (Northern Lights) that is a good option for dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Brightlingsea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

About a month ago I had the pleasure of staying at the Haida Way hotel for a couple of nights. I didn't have much notice of this business trip and I took pot luck when booking this hotel, I was in a hurry and the Haida Hotel was close to where I needed to be and had reservations so I went ahead and booked. I was a little apprehensive as I normally research a hotel before I decide to stay there but there just wasn't time on this occasion.

Fortunately for me this hotel was quite nice, I did find the rooms to be a bit bare but it was clean and tidy and well kept. The hotel is quite old and has a lot of character but the upkeep is very good and the staff are very helpful and extremely friendly. During my stay I had quite a lot of work to get through so I appreciated that the hotel was quiet and relaxing. On the food side of things I was quite impressed too, I particularly liked the "full breakfast", eggs, bacon, sausage etc - much nicer than the cereal I had at the last hotel I stayed in.

When you take into the consideration the quality of the food, and how well kept the rooms are I would say that the price is quite reasonable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Cedar Park Resort Cottages & RV Camping
Alder Bay Resort
Alder Bay Resort
#3 of 4 in Port McNeill

Been to Haida Way Motor Inn? Share your experiences!