“Awesome fishing”
Review of Trailhead Resort

Trailhead Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Port Renfrew B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Have had many great experiences while fishing with Trailhead Resort. These folks really know their stuff. Have tried other outfits fishing out of Port Renfrew but none compare to Trailhead it is what all the other outfitters strive to be, fantastic guides, clean comfortable and modern accomadations and down to earth people.
Having fished the Queen Charlottes I have to say this is better fishing.
Pete and Connie are the pioneers out here.
West Coast Wild.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank shudann

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Like others have commented, we got bumped out of our Hiker Hilton into a suite which was not a suite but actually just a big room. The suite was nothing special with minimal towels and few amenities. Excessive noise from other guests coming and going early in the morning and late at night indicated that there was no insulation in the walls. Overpriced for what was provided. This is not a resort and not what we expected.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rustic-Ranger
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Trailhead is a focused charter fishing organization. We were a fishing group of four. We stayed 3 nights and fished two days. We caught our limit of fish and came home with each person having over 50 lbs of cleaned, portion packaged and frozen fish. I've many many trips there and every year is a little better. Food is gourmet, the rooms are great and the guides are a-one fishermen who want you to catch fish. Peter & Connie are great hosts.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ryleytoryn
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I phoned to book a cabin for 5 adults a couple of weeks before arrival. After inquiring about the possibilities I was told that there was a new cabin available, the Hiker Hilton, which would suit our needs.
Connie phoned 6 days before occupation date and left a message for me to call back about the reservation. When I returned her call the next day she said not to worry, everything was fine.

On arrival in Port Renfrew on the reservation date I greeted Connie in the office and said we had a reservation for the Hiker Hilton. Connie said 'No you don't'. I said we had made a reservation and it had been confirmed by her. Connie shuffled back through a book and confirmed that yes I did have reservations, and indeed she had called me about the reservation, but that she had given the room away to other customers earlier that day. I was pretty stunned by this news and further surprised when she said they were fully booked.

She asked if I would like her to find another place for us. She did manage to find a place for us to stay. It was more expensive, but Connie did not offer to cover the difference.

I was surprised by Connie's cavalier attitude, her lack of concern about the impact this oversight had on our group and her not covering the extra cost incurred because of her mistake.
I wouldn't recommend booking with this resort.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank A R
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Granted there aren't altogether THAT many option in Port Renfrew, but the Trailhead Resort proved to be an excellent home base for exploring the area before attempting the WCT. The rooms were spacious and the kitchenette was a great feature. Right across the street is the long term parking lot, and also where the WCT bus drops you off. We never used the hot tub, but the people who used it seemed to enjoy themselves. No complaints!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I had booked a couple of nights at the Trailhead Resort as I was expecting to be on standby for the West Coast Trail and appreciated having a kitchenette for final food preparations. The place is good for having space to spread out, but unfortunately I was fooled by some website photos that made the place appear newer/cleaner. I am very particular in choosing my accommodations, so while this does provide decent basic accommodation, I wouldn't put it into a 'resort' category. I didn't want to walk barefoot in there and the bathroom and kitchenette both left a little to be desired. I was glad to be able to have a hot shower before a week-long hike, but was surprised that there wasn't even a hair dryer. I asked to borrow one, but was told by the lady (the owner?) that she had never used a hair dryer in her life. Interestingly enough, I see from comments below that they are now investigating what it would take to install these in their bathrooms. Suggest driving down the road to Sooke, spend $30 at Shopper's, and place in the bathroom - that's what I did. If you need a place to crash for one night this place can work. For anything more, I would explore other options up the hill in Port Renfrew.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank 478BarbaraB
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This place isn't a resort by any stretch of the imagination. The focus of the "resort" is on fishing charters & supplies. The room is large but basic except for a nice seascape mural over one bed, and sits above a fishing goods store & office.There are 2 beds, an important feature for my sister & me, a small bathroom, & a modest kitchen area against one wall. (Bring your own knife; there were several in the kitchen drawer, none sharp.) We bought our own box of facial tissues. There is no hair dryer available either in the room or from the office. We were inundated with flies, probably because of the fishing gear right outside our room & the lack of a screen door. Customer service is practically nil, even to no response to our request to mop the not-so-clean floor. The area's hiking, however, is unbeatable!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Treehiker97201
TCresort, General Manager at Trailhead Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

We are sorry that you hada poor visit to trailhead but we are happy that you had such a great sleep in our resort. yes we do cater to a lot of fishers as the area is renowned for world class fishing and we also have a great deal of hiking enthusiiasts staying here as well. in regards to the lack of hair dryers we are now investigating installing them in our bathrooms but to be honest none of our clientele have ever requested them. The problem with the dirty floor is disturbing and our greatest apologies for that as we take pride in cleanliness and customer service.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Renfrew
Curley's Resort and Dive Center
Big Fish Lodge
Big Fish Lodge
#2 of 8 in Port Renfrew

Been to Trailhead Resort? Share your experiences!