“Dining anytime at Coastal Kitchen”
Review of Coastal Kitchen

Coastal Kitchen
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Lake Cowichan, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dining anytime at Coastal Kitchen”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or just a coffee this is the best rustic place to eat anytime of day. The staff go out of their way to please everyone, accommodate anyone. Remember as you pull in to this place for the first time that this is a small town eatery, with many colourful people who are there to eat just like you. Smoking is allowed outside, so please remember that when you choose to sit out there.
Our whole family and hourds of friends gather there any given day to eat some of the best food cooked and served by the friendliest people. I think you may need a reservation on Wednesday wing night, or any dinner time during the summer, as this place is very popular!
I recommend this place to everyone that wants a good meal in a friendly relaxed atmosphere.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Lorraine_C1234

Victoria BC
“will not return”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I have been to Coastal Kitchen twice - Sunday lunchtime & Wednesday dinnertime, both in July. First visit (Sunday lunch) made us want to return... great, reasonably priced food & good service. The second visit was terrible! The restaurant was half empty inside but we were told we had to have a reservation. There is no cell service in town so how are travellers supposed to make reservations? Patio seating was uncomfortable, server was rude when asked about condiments, one of our meals was not served hot, & at least one customer continued to be served alcohol even though he was obviously extremely intoxicated. This same customer was swearing non-stop, allowed his dog to bark at his table, was allowed to smoke a cigar close to other customers (including a young child), & before seeming to pass out at his table, urinated on the bushes beside his table (again in sight of a young child). When we returned home my dinner companion posted a comment to Coastal Kitchen's Facebook page criticizing them for allowing such behavior. Her comment was met with a post from (we suppose) the owner calling her "shameful" for criticizing the behavior of the locals, &, dismissing the urination as not their problem because it wasn't their bushes (!!!!!) A shame that I can't recommend this restaurant, especially since it is the only full-menu restaurant in Port Renfrew.

4 Thank adrianBC
Coastal M, Owner at Coastal Kitchen, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
As I explained to your friend several times in private messages before having to block her as she because "obsessed" with the not drunk but physically handy-capped man that YES peed in some bushes 20-40 feet in some bushes off property of my cafe. This community was once the wild west coast. When I first moved here 13 years ago a man was shot in the bar over a women and the community was only accessible by boat. The Coastal Kitchen Cafe has a very strict over serving policy and in fact a lot of locals will not drink here because we are so anti drinking and driving. Mostly are cafe is a cozy wonderful family establishment but the BC government still allows smoking 3 meters from a building and that is exactly how far your table was from a few smokers. Your behavior on trip advisory is border line abusive. You should have talked to us in person about how upset you were about the man peeing in the bushes rather than this online kindergarten bullying. We are truly just a young family of almost 5 trying to make a living in a small, sometimes quirky little town. I'm sure you don't forget my giant 7 month pregnant belly carrying the last table in my cafe (ya that wobbly green one) to the last spot in the cafe (ya the one 3 metres form the smokers) because you begged me that "anywhere would be fine......you just LOVE our food" and really wanted to stay. Even my semi handicapped neighbor whom peed in the bushes would have offered to lift the table. Please stop harassing my family and staff via face book or other online resources. Your conscience will lie heavy at night.
Duncan, Canada
“Local Color in Port Renfrew”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Reasonably good food, rude staff, and while dining at the Coastal Kitchen I saw a man so drunk he stumbled three feet from his table and urinated in plain view of our table and a small child. Staff continued to serve him liquor. A smoking table was so close I could read the label on one man's cigarillo. Although there is a garden the tables appear to be constantly empty, we were seated at a very uncomfortable, tippy table with one really uncomfortable chair. It may be the best restaurant in Port Renfrew, but believe me that isn't saying much. Next time I'll pack a lunch.

4 Thank Persephone V
Coastal M, Owner at Coastal Kitchen, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
After several borderline "crazy" face book messages from this customer yesterday I took the time as owner to look into this "local man peeing incident". I am at the cafe all day everyday and found it odd the customer did not report such a scene to a server , management or me.(I checked on this table at least 9 times this evening). After much research I discovered the "peeing man" was my neighbor who drops by every week for 1 "glass"of beer and a bucket of clams. He is fairly immobilized physically so the customer must have also noticed he was riding to and from the cafe in a wheel chair for elderly people. (with his dog). He admits to peeing behind my wood shed which is 40 odd feet from the deck where the customers were sitting. He apologizes but stated it was not Cafe property and he felt he would not make it the washroom". The reason you are leaving such a mean review is because you are angry that we blocked you from our face book page. Please do try to consider again that a man in a wheel chair may not be drunk.........just handy-cap. We take great pride in being a family cafe (I have 2 girls and third in my belly) but life happens. Talk to a real person.........owner or sever before barfing this drama all over the internet. We could have dealt with the "local handy-cap pee pee man" in the moment and tried our best to have moved you inside. I love you Port Renfrew!
Vancouver, Canada
“Good food”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We took a day trip to Port Renfrew while staying in Sooke; a local had recommended Coastal Kitchen to us, so we stopped by for lunch. The service was very friendly, and surprise, they have a Gluten Free menu!!! That meant I could have a 'burger'. I opted for the Halibut burger and was very happy with the generous portion of fresh fish and very yummy french fries. We sat outside in the sunshine and enjoyed the garden. It was very pleasant.

1 Thank Nicolette E
Coastal M, Owner at Coastal Kitchen, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank-you!We are stoked on our new Gluten free bread and new gluten free beer!People are happily shocked to get a full gluten free menu at the end of the road!Cheers!
Vancouver, Canada
“Used to love this place...”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is the fourth time our family visited Port Renfrew and the Coastal Kitchen used to be a highlight of visit... until this Monday. We knew we'd be in for a long wait when we saw most of the tables outside quite full, but decided to stick around as we were really looking forward to great food and atmosphere. Unfortunately, we were stopped practically in the door by a flustered staff member who seized our party of 5 (3 adults, 2 small kids) and when she found out we didn't have a reservation she started a long monologue on how we needed to reserve a table in July and August and told us to go elsewhere. We were so shocked by her rude attitude that didn't allow for any discussion that we walked away... but couldn't ignore the fact that there were several empty tables in an adjacent garden that didn't have "reserved" signs on them... In the very least, I would have expected that she'd offer us the choice of having a drink outside and waiting for a table - and we would have gladly done it. Instead, we left Port Renfrew quite angry and I doubt very much we'll ever be back in the Coastal Kitchen Cafe.

2 Thank Jana O
Coastal M, Owner at Coastal Kitchen, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
When our restaurant is full and we have another 30-40 reservations to fill throughout the evening we unfortunately have to reserve the tables for customers whom called or emailed for a reservation up to 3 months in advance. We sincerely wish that July and August was not as busy as it is and we could fit every person in for dinner but often over booking the cafe leads to long food waits and food that is not up to our VERY HIGH standard. We are never rude to our customers that we have to turn away. We do have let them know in a straight forward manner that the Cafe is full and they can either come back in after 8:30pm when it settles or head down to the lovely restaurant on the Wharf for alternative dining. I remember your family and with 2 small kids waiting 3 hours was not an option. Offering you a drink to sit on the dirty pavement for 2+ hours was also not an option as our couch area was also full. The only reason we as a team are ever "frustrated" is when our customers do not respect our decision to declare the cafe "full" and kindly suggest trying the other food options in town which both do serve wonderful food. I am unable to apologize for not having a table for you but I am very sorry you will never return based on the fact we were unable to seat you. Next time you are town please do make a reservation for your group via face book or call us @ 250-647-5545.