“Dining out is all about value.”
Review of Ichiban - CLOSED

Ichiban
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Vancouver, Canada
“Dining out is all about value.”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I dined out this evening at Ichiban and on walking in, it looked good. Typical furnishings for a sushi restaurant. We were greeted warmly and seated promptly. There was only another couple in the restaurant and it was a Friday night during the dinner hour. We looked at the menu and prices are double what they would be in a city environment and that's ok if the food quality matches.

Well that's the problem. Mid-teen prices for a bento box that should cost pre-teen numbers. My chicken teriyaki was dry and the tempura had been re-warmed. The California roll was real crab and passable but for the price I expected more creativity and stand out food vs just mediocre.

By contrast the sushi restaurant directly across the street was jumping. Not a seat available and people waiting to get in.

My partner ordered a chicken teriyaki roll and some sashimi and was disappointed by both. Her chicken was not fresh and the rice was tasteless.

So, advice: go across the street and hopefully the owners read this truthful review instead of the fluff prior. A real review focuses on service, food and quality as well as fair pricing.

Save your money and don't go here until the owners adjust their pricing to match the food quality or increase the quality and creativity to be able to call their prices fair.

Visited June 2014

Victoria, Canada
“Lovely people, delicious food”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I love ichiban sushi! The food is always great and the owners are absolutely wonderful people! The prices are quite a bit more then dining in Vancouver but all the sushi places on the coast are. The lunch boxes are always a great deal if you are eating on a budget. I love the quality of the fish, the spicy tuna rolls, even the salad dressing on the green salad is Delish! I just love this place and I'd recommend it over the sushi bar across the street any day!

• Visited May 2014
Powell River BC
“Our favorite place in Sechelt”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Excellent fresh sushi, generous portions of fish. Also great lunch boxes - the best value. Friendly fast service. We always stop there on our way to the ferry.

• Visited February 2014
“Nice comfortable Japanese restaurant”
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Our favourite Japanese restaurant on the coast serving a selection of Japanese dishes including the standard sushi, and tempura. Comfortable relaxed atmosphere suitable for small groups or families however it is not presently open for lunch.

• Visited February 2014