“Great food poor owner” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Smithers
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Cuisines: Mexican, Healthy
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Authentic Mexican cuisine with the focus on fresh! Many ingredients sourced from local farms & almost everything made in house! Salsas, soups, dressings, desserts, sauces, salads, cornbread & much more all made fresh daily! Fun & festive decor, unique beverages & creative cocktails, latin wines, south of the border music, and fabulous staff!
“Great food poor owner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I went to eat with my son on a hot afternoon and at first contact the woman behind the bar was visibly irritated and short with us. Turns out she's part owner. She was rude and difficult and while I was paying I brought to her attention that if we hasn't been so hungry we wouldn't have stayed due to her attitude. She started arguing that she doesn't need customer service skills and if I don't like how she is then don't come back. She accused me of being the one with an attitude and when I asked for the other partners name and phone number she laughed and asked if I was going to try and get her fired. Worst customer service I've seen in my life. I will never go back. And as a side note I saw a kitchen staff leave the washroom while the toilet was still flushing so had obviously not washed her hands. Gross.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank NejMamma

Vancouver, Canada
“Unexpected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

The cute place was unlike other Mexican establishments we have been to. The "yam fries" were more like roasted yams but were very good. The food was healthy, flavourful and tasty. Bright and funky decor.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Victoria, Canada
“Good foor, average service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We ate here 2 times while in Smithers recently. The first time we had lunch and the service was good. We both had a burrito and they were amazing! The side of sweet potato wedges could have used a little time in the fryer or on the cooktop to crisp up a bit but it was good nonetheless. The second time we went a few days later for dinner. Again the meal was good but we waited almost an hour for our entrees and the restaurant wasn't even full. We finally finished eating after closing time only to find we were the second to last ones in there. If we had gotten our food sooner it would have made the evening more enjoyable.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Burnaby
“Tasty but s-l-o-w”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Do not go if you have any sort of time commitments. When I went, it was roughly 50% full but it took about 1.5 hours to get my main dish (!), though the appy took 'only' about an hour. Once it arrives, the food is very tasty, and the portions are large. It's not the best Mexican food I've had in B.C., but for Smithers it is the only option, and if you have the time, you'll get a tasty meal.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Mexican meets Homemade - Best Yam Fries!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

While in Smithers for a family wedding we ate at the Trackside Cantina twice for lunch.
I loved the atmosphere - from being located inside the small train station, steps from the railway lines and right in front of the beautiful mountains, to the fun, brightly-painted and decorated Mexican interior.
The staff was friendly, quick and helpful. The menus had a great variety of dishes, small and large.

I tried the Burrito Pollo Verde (Chicken) and really enjoyed it. The tortilla tasted homemade and was nicely crisp on the outside so it didn't get mushy when picked up.

Our absolute favourite item was the Yam Fries!
These are not your typical frozen or store-bought fries. They are huge chunks of real yam tossed in seasoning and baked until slightly crisp on the outside and hot and fluffy on the inside, served with a spicy mayo dip. Best ever!!! This dish also came with some tasty, fresh greens tossed in a light dressing. Perfect!

My relatives also tried the Cactus Club sandwich on the homemade bun which they also really enjoyed, as well as the medium and dark roast coffees which they raved to me about.

We also had the Queso appetizer (a warm three-cheese melted dip with tortilla chips). The dip came in a nice little ceramic pot, but it was cooling off fast so we enjoyed it quickly. While it could have been hotter, it was indeed delicious and we finished every bite.

Thanks for a few really yummy lunches in Smithers!! Highly recommended!!

Visited July 2013