“Comfort food and ambiance”

Bella Italia Ristorante
Ranked #12 of 23 Restaurants in Sun Peaks
Price range: US$11 - US$28
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 February 2014

It's a restaurant in the village and at night you can watch people walking by or even a horse drawn sleigh as you enjoy your meal. Servings well prepared and tasty. The restaurant is nicely lit and decorated. The wine is good. There are several options on the menu with of course and Italian theme. Good place to sit and relax and enjoy a meal.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

While the menu sounds tempting and the food was well presented, we found that some of the dishes didn't live up to our expectations. While the escargot, tapas and arctic char were good, the ravioli and cannelloni were disappointing, the flavours and textures just weren't balanced. Apart from the food, the service was fine and the restaurant had a pleasant ambience.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I have never written a review before but we had such a poor experience that I felt like I needed to let others know. My husband, sister/her boyfriend and I were in the mood for pasta and chose this restaurant for its gluten free options. We were there in August 2013. The patio was cute and our server was very friendly. However, that's where the good aspects of this dining experience ended!

First - wrong drinks served. Since they were similar, we let it go and didn't say anything. Small mistakes happen right?

Second - after about 40 minutes, our order still hadn't arrived. Our waitress then showed up at our table and told us that she had forgotten to give the kitchen our order. Poor girl, it was her first day on the job and we all felt that it was an understandable mistake, although we were very hungry! Our food took about another 20 minutes to arrive.

Third - HOWEVER, one of our gluten-free pastas was not, in fact, gluten free! Somehow there was a mix-up We asked for it to be sent back.

Fourth- It took another 25 minutes for our last order to arrive, and by that time the rest of us, famished, had finished up our (very over-salted!!) meals. The last meal was also very over-salted. Overall we had waited over an hour for our food, and my husband had waited an hour and a half.

Fifth - We received the bill, but no offer of any discount for all the mistakes What-so-ever! And this is not a cheap place either ($8 extra to add meat to most of the pasta dishes, which already are around $15 each without any meat! The one dish we added chicken to for $8 had about 5 little pieces in it...)

My husband and sister's bf went to ask about the bill and were told by the waitress that they don't do discounts. When they asked to speak to the manager, he came and said he could take "25% of just one meal off." My husband held his ground, explaining the situation, and the manager relented giving the one meal for free.At this point my husband realized that this was just a bad restaurant and that's the best he was going to get so we paid and left.

Based on this experience we are not at all inclined to return, and we would not recommend this restaurant to our family/friends. Better customer service on their part (i.e. coming to the table right after the mistake and apologizing for the wait and the wrong order, comping the order without us asking...etc) would have been the right thing to do and likely been worth a positive review! Instead all I can say for this place is, do not go there!

1  Thank Julia K
lilabc, Owner at Bella Italia Ristorante, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

I am sincerely sorry about your unsatisfying dinner experience at Bella Italia.
Please understand that Sun Peaks is still a seasonal resort and that we are dealing with seasonal staff. Especially in the summer time the pool of people to choose from is very slim.
We never had a male manager, so this waiter certainly made a decision he was not entitled to.
I was informed about the incident later that night, but had no way to contact you to get your side of the story.
I wished you would not have waited 6 months to write this review and would have given me a chance to deal with this incident when the memory was still fresh and the seasonal workers were still around.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 February 2014

A great place to have a home cooked Italian meal. The food was tasty and delicious , pasta was divine. We had to go back a second time it was so nice.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Plenty of choice on menu, we had pasta, very tasty, decent portion sufficient for us. Drinks not cheap but there is little competition. Attentive and friendly staff, would definitely revisit.