“Great Food”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We were there on the long weekend. The restaurant was very busy, but the staff were extremely polite and pleasant and they didn't "hover". The food is very good.

Review collected in partnership with Coast Hotels

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Had dinner last night with friends. I love schnitzel, and the Hunter sauce is to die for. ( mushroom cream ) . We had wine, salad, and split one entrée, and it was lots ! Our friend had fish & chips, and I tasted the fish, it was excellent. Our server was just the best ever ! So much personality.
I highly recommend this place for a meal. It does get very loud, when its full, so there is a patio, but remember it cools down pretty quick. Always bring a jacket or a sweater when in the mountains !

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had plans to spend the night after watching the Blue Rodeo outdoor concert with friends on the weekend.
My spouse spent 30 minutes on the phone a few days prior to locate a restaurant that would take reservations for dinner after the concert. She managed to find Powder Hounds which took her reservation for 6 at 9pm. The person taking the reservation had trouble with getting her name right which was 'Andrea', and she asked "did you say Katrina"?. So we know she got the name down.

Our friends arrived at the restaurant at about 9:05pm and were bluntly told "we don't have a reservation because we were not taking reservations for that night of the concert". They double checked and were told no, and the place was full, so there would be a lengthy wait.
By the time we arrived they were out on the street and we went to another place across the street.

My wife was so furious, that she went over to Powder Hounds and spoke to a manager who argued with her that "there was no reservations because we were not taking reservations!!!" She said that their employee took the reservation because she had to give her name twice. He continued to argue with her and then 'Mocked' her by holding up the sheet and saying "do you see your name on this sheet!!".
Against her normal temperament, right in front of other customers she said "no, but you will see your name on Trip Advisor", and walked out.

It was a good thing that I wasn't present as I have a history of confrontation and won't take that from someone and I would have grabbed the sheet and tore it up, right in front of the customers.

Brutal, will never go near that place again and nor will our friends.
PS - we have eaten there in the past and we got shuffled to their other restaurant.. Shame on Powder Hounds.

3  Thank Rob D
besttrav, Owner at Powder Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your review, Rob D. There was simply a miscommunication between the server who took the reservation and our policy to not take reservation on concert days, We decided to do so because we can seat more people this way and we understand that on those weekend there are not enough restaurant seats at Sun Peaks. The way our supervisor communicated with you was not professional and we already addressed the issue on a staff meeting. Your feedback was helpful for me because sometimes we all have to refreshen our minds that this industry is all about costumer service!
I does not help though if you say you have a history of confrontation. I consider this a threat and we should not communicate on such a low level!
In closing, we made two mistakes and for that please take my apologies. There is a beautiful song by "Mike & The Mechanics" called "Everybody needs a second chance" - I hope that you will give us a second chance one day...

Thank you!

Peter Ernst
Owner and F & B Manager

Reviewed 27 June 2014

great food - we arrived late at night around 9pm and nothing was too much trouble - it had a cosy atmosphere.

besttrav, General Manager at Powder Hounds, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review! It is encouraging and we already took your review to our last staff meeting.

Peter Ernst
GM and F & B Manager

Reviewed 9 May 2014

If you want a great Corona (without paying extra for a lime wedge!!!!) drop in here for good company and great service. Bar staff very friendly.

1  Thank Sandy326