“Telegraph Cove Resort Campground - 1 km from main resort”

Telegraph Cove Resort
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was a little surprised to find that I had to drive 1 km from the main resort on the cove on a good gravel road back into the forest. The campground was very well maintained with campsites set into the forest (nicely screened from each other) around a central field of open campsites. Clean, washrooms with clean, free showers. Power and water at the site I reserved. Needed an adapter for the plug, which was designed for RV users and I just had a three-prong extension chord for my laptop and camera batteries in my tent. The park manager quickly provided one, no charge. It rained most of the time I was there, so I had to put away wet tent etc. when I left, but that's not their fault. Mosquitoes are voracious - not surprising given the damp forest location. The campsite was level and well drained. I was disappointed being so far from the cove, but the site was otherwise very nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Laurie C

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We loved this place, stayed in cottage 9, right over the water. However the cottages are by no means luxurious, but although basic are comfortable, so only go there if you're OK with that. The setting and ambience, in our opinion, makes up for any lack of frills. You will have people reading the notice boards about your cottage during the day, so private it isn't! We went on the Stubbs Island whale watch, and also Tide Rip Grizzly tour, both fantastic. Food at the Killer Whale restaurant, a two minute walk down the boardwalk was ok and huge portions!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great place for families. Clean, friendly and only a short walk to the 'village'.
Upon arrival we were told that fire wood would be free only to find out it was $5 a bundle - no worries but communication would be helpful. Bathrooms were a little messy and stinky at times but the staff quickly attended what was required. Excellent place for hiking and secluded tenting. Only a quick 15 minute walk to the ocean. Park managers come by every night to check on everyone and to remind the campers that black bears have the 'right of way' and we are to mind them. We had two black bears roam through our site during the wee hours of the morning - very important that you leave nothing out for them to eat. Excellent place for relaxing and taking in our beautiful Vancouver Island.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank oysterchick
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed at cabin #1, a house to accommodate 9 people. We were delighted to walk into this quaint home, with it's lovely cedar scent and rustic feel. The house is creaky and the beds could use a little updating, but I could look past that for the view and location. However, on the night we arrived, we attempted to make a meal and found the "supplies" utterly lacking. There were no oven mitts, only one kitchen cloth and one small kitchen towel and no salt and pepper, save for a few little packets like the ones you'd get from McDonalds. There were not enough eating utensils for our group, which the cabin was advertised to accommodate. But we made do, using some of the bath towels to make up for the lack in the kitchen. At this point I felt it a great reach that I had just paid $333 (with tax) for our one-night stay. And to add insult to injury, two days later, I was informed that due to the "extent of the damages" on their towels, they would be charging another $50 on my card. They were kind enough to send pictures of the "damages," which were a few spots from the food we had prepared that night. Has anyone ever been charged by a hotel or resort for spots on towels? Anyone? Because this is definitely a first. So, I recommend Telegraph Cove, but I say be careful (and prepared!) at Telegraph Cove Resorts, especially if you touch the towels.

Room Tip: Just make sure you have what you need in the house before the office closes.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kwo37
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights here in one of the lodges . It was quaintly furnished an a little quirky but with great views of the harbour and bay beyond .
Though not at first to our liking the place grew on us . Watching the fisherman , going grisly bear watching just added to the attraction of the place. Had a couple of good meals in the killer whale cafe just outside our lodge which also helped .
Been away now for a few days but I'm sure this is one of those places I will always remember .

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have mixed feelings about this place. This is no longer a village where people actually live but a collection of cabins, rooms etc which can all be rented by tourists. Somehow that feels a little weird. We were staying in the coffee shop suite at the end of the boardwalk, a beautiful location with stunning views of the ocean and sunsets. The suite itself is basic with so called rustic furniture, all a little outdated and most of it ready to be replaced. I am curious what this village looks like in let's say 25 years. It seems to me the owners just want to cash in and don't pay a whole lot attention to things like maintenance (inside and outside). We paid 276 dollar per night.....

What really upsets me is that this village is supposed to be very concerned and all with bears but at the same time I noticed that most cabins on the boardwalk have a regular non-bear proof bin. Would it be too much to ask to put bear-proof bins everywhere? Surely with the rates per night they ask, that shouldn't be a problem. Especially when you pretend to care so much about the bears. I only saw bear proof bins at the beginning and end of the board walk and heard later they were a gift from Tide Rip. It would be a good start from management to buy bear proof bins for all cabins on the boardwalk.....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denliv
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We decided to take a road trip right before our wedding. We booked two nights of tent camping. Four hours later, we realized we couldn't make the trek in time. Our mistake in planning, I fully admit.

We called the same day to cancel our reservation (5 days from then) and was told the deposit could not be refunded because the cancellation wasn't made "with a 30 day notice." I tried to explain that a 30 day notice would be impossible--physically--since the tent location had been reserved and cancelled the same day. I understand that deposits are usually kept for last minute notices, but we feel like ample time was given. Feel like we were penalized for giving notice.

Odd business practice. Wouldn't recommend this place. Standard lodging practice is 3 days notice, not 30.

Stayed: June 2014
#1 of 1 in Alert Bay
Alder Bay Resort
Alder Bay Resort
#2 of 4 in Port McNeill

Been to Telegraph Cove Resort? Share your experiences!