“Beautiful Property”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Nanoose Bay
Richmond, Canada
“Beautiful Property”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We recently stayed at the Pacific Shores for a week on an RCI exchange – the property is still as beautiful as our last stay but some things have changed as indicated in other reviews.

I don’t know if it is because the property is in receivership and being managed by a management company that the hot tub by the main pool was not working, that there was no information given at check-in, no book in the room to give direction etc. At check in we were given two keys to our room and that was it – we only knew where to put our garbage because we had stayed there before. Our dishwasher did not work and we did not want to report it while we were there as we did not want to spend our vacation having someone come in and out of our suite. So, we reported it at check out. I must say that I went to the front desk to ask for another large pot as the one in the room had loose handles and was not safe to use in my opinion and to ask for more garbage bags and they were promptly delivered to our room. Also, in the evening we would see a young man walking the grounds to check for things that needed attention – one evening replacing a bulb that had burned out in one of the lights that come on in the evening on the grounds in the front. This must be a very stressful time for the employees not knowing what is happening with their jobs. Everyone we dealt with was very helpful – Jennifer at the front desk who I spoke with before we left home and Lorraine who is in housekeeping and has been at the resort for years. On the Saturday they put a note on our door to ensure that we knew that we would be changing to day light savings time which was great as check out is early (10a.m.).

We ate breakfast at Ricki’s before catching the ferry to come home – the usual breakfast fare – nothing outstanding.

I always cook when we have a condo – when you have an amazing view, it is a bonus. Enjoyed our morning coffee and evening glass of wine looking at the ocean. Thrifty’s and Quality Foods are great places to do your grocery shopping. We always bring our own food staples from home and I always have a frozen meal or two to take with us when we travel by car.

We made our usual trip to Coombs and agreed that it is better in the summer. There were a lot of places that were closed and other had notices on their door that they were planning on retirement after the summer season. We always enjoy our trip to the Island but do not go that often with the cost of the ferry being so expensive – but having said that we did not have to pay plane fare and be shuffled around at the airport like a bunch of cattle!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank winedancers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here by way of an RCI exchange. New management on property has made improvements, such as better wifi. The facility is very clean and has ample supplies, such as in the kitchen. Some of the furnishings still need to be upgraded but there is a plan in place to bring it all up to Gold Crown status. The setting is beautiful and there is lots to do in Parksville.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 8069sa
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was seating online for resort in the Parksville area when I came across Pacific Shores. I was impressed with their prices especially over the Valentines Day weekend when prices seem to go up. I was however disappointed that you are not able to book online and have to call the resort to book your stay. I prefer booking online but because of their reasonable rates I phoned and booked a two night stay.

When we arrived my boyfriends said hello to the girl at the front desk and asked how she was and she almost scowled at him. I said that we wanted to check in and she said oh I wasn't sure what you wanted. I didn't know what to think of that. The rest of the check in process went really well and she was very helpful pointing out all of the amenities in the resort and directing us to our suite.
We were very pleased with our suite with the exception of the tv being very small and the view that we were told that we had not really a view unless we were to duck down and look through our neighbours balcony. We were not planning to spend a lot of time in the room so it was fine. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The walls are a little thin as I could hear the people in the next room clear as day.
We had dinner in the restaurant and it was very good. The spa was booked completely which is understandable being the Valentines Day weekend and I called only two days prior to checking in.
I was little unnerved by the silver fish in the bathtub but I think they are very common on the west coast. The hot tub on the point is closed but with the weather we would not have used it anyway. Over all it was a great resort and I would definitely stay here again. They have some great family packages that I would consider booking in the summer.

1 Thank Cheryl D
Vancouver
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Our room at the resort was pleasant, although the walls were thin. A family moved into the suite adjacent to us. The noise from the kids was very audible and the parents' voices was also noticeable. Some people may think that being a suite in a resort is like being at home. NO. Think of your neighbours. At 0700 hrs. on a Saturday, some people like to sleep in!

1 Thank fritzlam
Oak Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We reserved our two bedroom unit through our timeshare company, Vacations Internationale for early February. We were very pleased with our unit in the 700 building. Very clean, we'll-equipped and a view of the lovely grounds and a partial view of the water. The unit was on the small side, but very comfortable for two. Loved the heated bathroom floors! The bed was very comfortable. Since we were there off-season, there were no problems with noise. We were disappointed that the outdoor hot tubs in the center of the resort were closed. If they are closed for the season, there should be some indication. If they aren't going to be open at all, they shouldn't be advertised. The hot tub by the indoor pool was closed down for part of our stay. I think the changes in ownership are causing some hiccups and hopefully will get worked out. We look forward to returning.

1 Thank Absully
nanaimo
Reviewed 30 January 2014

this used to be the best resort on Vancouver Island but now it is a colossal disappointment. Nothing is working at this resort. The Sauna has been shut down for months and now they have shut the beautiful spa with outdoor hot tub and wading area in the middle of the property that everyone loves. The indoor pool is closed by 9:00 and on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 6:30 and 7:30 guests are not allowed into the area as an aquacise class takes place; when it ends 20 women converge into the one small hot tub. Sound like its worth your travel and your money? The condos are falling apart and are not even stocked properly, ours did not even have a can opener. The oven does not work. If you are an RCI visitor you have to check in miles away at another location and they will assure you everything is working fine but I have been coming here for over 20 years and I assure you it is not. I give it two years max before bankruptsy. Sorry folks.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank nanaimofour

Travellers are raving about these Nanoose Bay hotels

Parksville, Canada
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Be wary booking through Trading Places if you are an owner. If you are NOT yet an owner, don't buy in here. The new management company, who seems to be in command of a great deal of this resort and is supposed to be looking after the interests of the owners, leaves a lot to be desired. Would not let me book a room for this weekend, claiming I had not paid my dues. After hours on the phone this week, it is now clearly established that our dues are, in fact paid, and in fact have never, ever, even been late. They also tried to say that the reason they couldn't get us in was because they were full. Well, let me tell you, they weren't. I checked. The place was almost empty for the night we wanted to book. Some strange doings going on at this place, my friends. Whats up with the Trading Places folks? Get some staff who can read computers and understand basic accounting! To the rest of the resort, to the part still managed by the Pearson family, my hats off to you. Lovely resort, great location, beautifully managed spa and meticulous grounds.

Room Tip: At this point, I would only consider booking through the main hotel switchboard, asking for the '...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank marie o
watermint_management, General Manager at Pacific Shores Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
We understand the frustration of Owners when there is a change in management and we apologize for this unfortunate situation. When we (Trading Places) began to manage last year the association council implemented several changes to overcome difficulties they were experiencing prior to our arrival. One of those challenges was that some owners were allowed to use their timeshare vacation without having paid their annual fees first and this caused the other members of the association to have to support the expense of that unit briefly. Some of those owners fell delinquent and never have paid for their vacation units care. So, the council established a policy that we have been implementing that requires an owner to have paid their annual fees in advance of occupying the unit. For those owners who use time falls at the beginning of the year it created a dilemma because although their maintenance fees had been billed they were not yet late until 30 days after the billing so technically they were not delinquent and should be able to use. This owner fell in that small window and we apologize for the mishandling of that transaction. Perhaps we could have contacted all those owners at the beginning of the year to let them know what was expected and that would have helped.

Trading Places replaced the Pearson family as the on-site manager in 2013 and we have been managing the amenities and grounds for quite some time under the direction of a receiver who seized control of the resort from the Pearson family. We have done our best to keep the grounds and units in good condition so owners would enjoy their vacations. We are happy to hear from this owner that she did enjoy that aspect of her stay and want all owners to know we are committed to continuing to upgrade all areas of the beautiful Pacific Shores Resort and Spa. It just gets better and better. The council for this association is very anxious to carry on with many wonderful improvements and Trading Places is pleased to be a part of this progress.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanoose Bay
Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
#4 of 13 in Parksville
Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort

Been to Pacific Shores Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!