“Good food, fast service and active scene”
Review of Steeples Restaurant - CLOSED

Steeples Restaurant
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The food and service. Make sure you book otherwise may be a wait especially on Friday and Saturday + holidays. Nothing to dislike with this establishment other than the price of the local Cowichan Valley wine.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We drove up from Victoria for a special dinner for my husband's birthday. A few years ago Steeples was a showcase of local food and fine cuisine. We were surprised to discover when we arrived that it has become a casual pub. We nearly left but realized we had to eat before driving home so stayed for predictable and just-okay pub fare. The service was friendly and quick but the special evening was spoiled. What really upsets me is that the management are not being very open about this significant shift in their business model. The menu on the website is illegible - I thought that odd but overlooked it - that was a mistake. Locals and foodies, know what to expect.

3  Thank Kathleen G
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My wife and I recently used a Groupon coupon to dine at Steeples. For the "two for one price" we paid it was an exceptional value. Our steaks were cooked to perfection which often isn't the case when one orders a rare steak and ends up with something on the pink side of medium! We took advantage of upgrading our Groupon to share an order of calamari which was excellent and the "add-on price" was much less than a similar order would have cost us in other restaurants. My wife upgraded to the chocolate volcano for desert which was a desert to die for, again at a very reasonable extra cost. Our server was first rate and every time she walked by our table made eye contact in case she was needed for something. We will definitely purchase another Groupon, or maybe two, if they are offered again next year.

1  Thank Ted B
Reviewed 6 August 2014

..but only after upgrading the Groupon special to better and more expensive menu items. The whole premise seems to be to lure you into a relatively cheap special and then to sell you the upgrades. I felt that you-must-upgrade-to-be-treated-nicely-pressure quite strongly, but I am generally sensitive to "atmospheres" and so would hesitate to go back again for that reason, but our German guest have returned and want to go to Steeples again. With some mental preparation and the awareness of how the Groupon thing works it can actually be quite a nice experience. The location and the food itself are very nice, no doubt.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We've been to Steeples a few times and we've always come away a bit disappointed with the service and food. But we've come back thinking maybe we just got an "off" night. After all the location in Shawnigan Lake is great and the building itself is very nice outside and in.

We decided to take my mother there for her last night of her visit with us. The whole experience was very uncomfortable to say the least. Right away we were presented with a menu that was incredibly complicated (the groupon menu). It was was taking quite an effort to figure it out and while my husband was managing somewhat, my mother and myself were struggling. When we asked the owner (who was serving us) for assistance he grew visibly agitated. At one point he even challenged me with my final decision by saying, "Well you can have that if you'd like to pay more money." It was upsetting for us since we wanted that evening to be special.

And once again - we were less than impressed with the food. It was just ok. But for the price it should been better.

Can't say we'll be back.

3  Thank TMR_Victoria