“Great campsite”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Manan
Hole-in-the-Wall Park & Campground
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I have to admit, I was a bit sceptical of the customer service and additional fees associated with this campground after reading a number of the recent reviews but upon arrival all my stress was put at ease.

The check-in staff member was extremely friendly and provided an informative overview of the Grand Manan area. We were assigned a cliff site and had an amazing view of the coastline.

There are additional charges associated with this campground ($2/shower, $6.50/fire wood) but the fees are not unreasonable as the campsite itself is quite reasonable ($27/night).

My only suggestions would involve better signage for the hiking trails around the coast line as there were times when we didn't really know what way to go and we often found ourselves close to the cliffs when we shouldn't have been. The other item would be the need to fix the lookout areas/benches as two of the lookouts we visited we falling apart and in no state for visitors to use.

Overall we had a great experience at this campground.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Evan H
KathleenS17, Owner at Hole-in-the-Wall Park & Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2014

Great Campsite,
Thank you for your review and areas that can be improved. One works at improving signage and there are still misses . I am uncertain as to the viewing outlooks that were unsafe. One viewing outlook was completely enclosed and well marked that no one was to enter plus a storm felled a tree across it. It is being totally rebuilt. A memo to the staff during your visit with your concerns would always be appreciated as we work to address issues in areas that danger can be controlled. Regards, Kaye

Reviewed 21 August 2014

What an amazing view from the cliff tops at our site! We called the day of to see if a spot was available and they were able to accommodate us. Our check-in was quick and someone took us right to our site to explain everything. The view was unbelievable and for something so close to the ocean we couldn't believe how little wind there was. Even in August we had to wear coats at night but the sunset from our site was just amazing! There are chemical toilets close to every few sites so it's very convenient and we had room for a good sized tent. I would recommend this place to anyone coming to Grand Manan!

Room Tip: Get a cliff-top site
2  Thank Ashley B
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We fully enjoyed our stay. We had a 26' trailer and we were placed in a huge full-service site nestled in among lots of trees. The sites around us appeared to be just as private as ours. There is also an open-field area for owners of large RVs that prefer the ease of backing into a site without trees. There is a nearby restroom with two private bathrooms - each with a toilet / sink and one with a shower. The restroom was clean & full maintained.

For those of you with tents, the sites are scattered across a massive area of sheer natural beauty. Some of the sites are on cliff walls while others are in a ways from the edge. Plenty of hiking to do on the property. The staff will recommend that children are carefully monitored during the hikes - I can't agree more - there were breath-taking moments where the trail comes just a few feet from the edge of the cliff.

If I could offer up just one piece of constructive feedback it would be for the management to consider investing in a large child's play area. I realize those things don't come cheap, and a play area likely in line with a wilderness campground theme, however more & more campers are seeing these structures at the campgrounds they visit and it offers a chance for the parents to relax for a bit while their children entertain themselves. There is a small play area but it's more suited for very young toddlers. Our kids did enjoy rafting on the pond, however.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return if we have the opportunity to come back to the island.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Without a doubt, the view from our cliff side campground site was incredible!
We could see whales, seals, the ferry and various fishing boats and pleasure craft.

However, we felt we were being nickle-and-dimed in a sense.

After a flat campground fee, other charges are tacked on to your bill such as for taking a shower??? ($2) and water usage.
Really... water usage?

This is the East Coast of Canada and there are absolutely no water shortages here.
Having grown up in the region, there is an ample supply of precipitation in all seasons and drought is virtually unknown.
So what's up with that?

Also, this is 2014 and no one wants to use a portable toilet or outhouse anymore.

This is a great campground but I think it could be even better.

Room Tip: Choose a cliff side site in the Whale Cove area.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank awd1970
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stumbled across this while reading a review of another park on the bay of fundy. Best thing that could have happened to us!
The cliff sites are stunning views, and each one is different. Kaye is the owner and if you get a chance to talk to her, take it. She is very knowledgeable about the history of the area and always has ideas on what to do.
The only thing I wish that I could change was the extra charges for everything. Wood, showers, laundry maps etc. These costs arent high but there was nothing about them in the ads or the websites.

Room Tip: Cliff sites are best campsites to
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have to admit the view was out of this world. We had a cliffside campsite, with a spectacular view of cliffs, the ocean (Bay of Fundy) and a couple of whales. Our campsite was in Whale Cove part of the camp. We enjoyed the hike to the "hole in the wall" and we enjoyed the proximity to the ferry and the whale excursion launch.

Yet, there were plenty of negatives about the campground. First, the management does little to take care of the facilities. The picnic table at our site was not stable, and could easily be described as a see-saw. We could not sit at the table while cooking, as we ran the risk of tilting the table to the point of knocking the stove off.

Also, the outhouses were filthy and inadequately stocked with tissue. They had small tanks in the outhouses, but it was apparently they were seldom emtied, and the staff did not properly stock the outhouses with toilet paper and wet wipes. (Fortunately, we had our own.)

Most importantly, if you are going to stay at the campground, be prepared to be nickled and dimes. On check in, we were told there was an honor system, and that we were required to keep track of our showers and water used, and then we would be billed the appropriate amount. They charged $2 per shower. I have no idea what they charged for water. That was on top of the $27 per night for the campsite.

I went to the one grocery store on the island and bought two 4-liter jugs of water, which was enough for two days, and I refused to shower until I arrived at the next campground.

I have to be honest, of all the campsites at which I have stayed, that was the first to charge extra for showers and water. For example, at Fundy National Park, I paid $30 a night, and that included showers and water. And park staff did an excellent job at keeping the washrooms in near-impeccable condition.

In addition, I was pulled out of sleep the first night by a light being shone around our campsite. Considering we were on a cliffside, we were far too high to have had a fishing vessel light shining on us. The light was small, like a flashlight, and it went off briefly after I opened my tent and shone my flashlight back. After I turned my light off, the initial light returned.

I assumed it was a security check until I was checking out and the owner was grilling me on the type of tents we had put up. She was concerned about the size of the tents. I am assuming she was going to charge more if the tent exceeded a certain size.

Again, that is the first time I have encountered that. At every other campsite at which I have stayed, the proprietors have been OK with two tents (regardless of size) being places on a site.

I am glad I stayed and had a chance to see the view, but I will not stay at Hole in the Wall again. Overall, my experience was not that pleasant.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Rob M
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Our summer vacation spot since 2 years... will come back next year for sure. In 2013 in fish head area we had whales just near us... this year some seals were playing bellow us in area D. I totally forget about the everyday life when I come here and just relax....I call it heaven on earth when I just look towards me and I only see the endless water and marine wildlife bellow me. The views are amazing also as the trails and beaches around the Island. The staff are so kind and professional. I want to share the beauty of this place with my family, plan on bringing them next year !!!:)

1  Thank 270LaDolceVita

Been to Hole-in-the-Wall Park & Campground? Share your experiences!