“Little Gem”
Review of Winsome Inn

Winsome Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in St. Stephen
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stopped here on my drive back to the States from Prince Edward Island. I had taken a wrong turn and stopped at the local grocery store to pick up a snack and find out if they could recommend a place to stay for the night. They told me about 2 or 3 and this was the one I thought would meet my needs. I thought it was going to be a regular motel, but it was much more charming! It's obvious the owners and workers take a great deal of pride in the whimsical decorations and in keeping the rooms spotless. The bathroom sparkled! The bathroom has a pedestal sink that's big enough to wash a baby in, it's so large! The rooms are large and come equipped with a mini-refrigerator, a microwave, a great flat screen TV, and comfortable beds. Wireless internet service is provided at no extra charge and was very fast.
The baseboard heater in the sleeping area is beneath the window and has a tendency to blow most of the hot air under the curtains unless you find something to keep the curtains pressed against the wall. I'm sure housekeeping wondered why there was a hanger leaning against the curtain!
The lady who checked me in and the one who checked me out were both great and very helpful. They were both knowledgeable about things to do in the area, places to eat, and gave great directions. Saint Stephen is such a friendly, helpful place and the people working here really reinforce that feeling.
A deluxe continental breakfast is included and was provided in a large, bright room adjoining the office area. There was plenty of food and it was more than just cold cereal and coffee.
I didn't get my wake up call because the high winds had crossed the phone lines, but the lady working the desk was happy to give me a late checkout and she surprised me at breakfast with a lovely box of chocolates that were made in Saint Stephen. There is an alarm clock in the room and next time I'll remember to set that, too.
The cost of the room was average but I considered it a great value since I did want to have breakfast and needed internet access.
I try to base my ratings on the same category of hotel, and I'm basing this on comparisons to other motor inns/motels I've stayed in.
I hope to return here on my next trip to or from the Maritimes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't close to the road, if the sound of cars driving by interrupts your sle...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank janetlorraine

Reviewed 28 November 2011

I have stayed at this motel in the past and, most recently, in August of this year. The rooms are more than adequate for a night or two with a small fridge and microwave and relatively up to date bathroom. The property is quiet and safe despite being just in from the main road into the town of St. Stephen. Reception was welcoming and helpful and a modest continental breakfast is provided. I find that, in general, the prices for motels in Canada are more expensive for the same quality of room than many places in the U.S. While I found the Winsome Inn a bit pricey, it's on par with many equivalent motels in Ontario and Atlantic Canada. In my mind, this is the best motel value in the area and certainly between the border and St John (along the Trans Canada Highway). I don't bother checking out other accommodations as it's my first choice for the area when driving to and from Nova Scotia.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank glooscapgal
Reviewed 12 November 2011

I stayed here twice in the past year on business. Once for 5 days, and last week for 3 days. The rooms are adequate. It contained a 32" LCD flatscreen TV, and a small fridge. The King-sized bed was comfortable. The pillows were plentiful though a little dated.

The washroom was also OK, clean, with quality shampoo provided. The soap was cheap and small, but I travel with my own anyway. Tub was clean, the hot water strong and plentiful.

Only fault is the complimentary breakfast. In an age where the complimentary breakfasts are getting better, this one is very basic. Just breads and bagels, cereal, and light coffee. Thank goodness there is a Tim Horton's a block away.

They have a BBQ onsite, where you can cook steaks, chicken, or whatever. Very handy, as there aren't many decent places to eat in St Stephen.

Internet worked well.

Very friendly staff to greet us, and checkout was again friendly and pleasant.All in all a good place to stay when in St Stephen.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank ATidalBore
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Travelling from Quebec to Nova Scotia via Maine, St.Stephen is a convenient stopping point for the night.

We stayed at the Winsome on the way to Nova Scotia and also on the way back.

The lady at reception was welcoming and the service at the included continental-style breakfast was also friendly.

The room was clean, and had wide-screen TV and wifi.

To be honest, we found this to be the perfect place for a quiet night in the middle of a long drive.

Room Tip: No pets in rooms but they do have another location with a few places.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stuartmckelvie
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We stayed at the Winsome because it was near the border, and we had been told that they had a room available in which our dog would be welcome. We arrived late, so we had no choice about going elsewhere. The "room" turned out to be a drab, crowded, poorly furnished room in a run-down, nearby house on the edge of the highway. Depressing and not cheap. As my wife said, "It was worth $50 (or less) and we paid $120!" We hated the room-- it was like staying in a flop house. (Our dog, though, never complained. He's great and never whines about anything . . . .) We've stayed at the Winsome many times and found it at least adequate. But after being put in this room, we decided to give up on the Winsome. This hotel may let your dog stay here with you, but it is definitely not "dog friendly"!

Room Tip: do not let them put you in the "annex" at the edge of the road
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank MontpelierGuy
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We spent a night at the Winsome Inn (25th Sept 2011) on our way to New Brunswick and found everything about the hotel excellent. Staff were welcoming and helpful, the rooms comfortable and newly renovated with microwave and fridge. Ice is available from the reception. The continental breakfast was fresh with choice of cereals, fruits, breads, muffins which was more than enough to start the day. There is a large supermarket across the road where we were able to buy a meal which was convenient as we did not feel like going out for a meal that night. Lady at reception kept our bags for the day as we were not catching a bus till 4pm and called us a taxi to get us to the bus station. We could not fault this Inn.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank imagine2
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Recently renovated, clean,comfortable rooms. Friendly and helpfull staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 6 in St. Stephen
Scoodic Motel
Scoodic Motel
#3 of 6 in St. Stephen

Been to Winsome Inn? Share your experiences!