“Terrible Terrible Service.....NOT RECOMMENDED!!! (PLEASE READ)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Deer Lake
Bird's Nest Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 5 Deer Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I arrived in Deer Lake at approximately 2am on a late flight from Toronto. After picking up my luggage, I jumped aboard my vehicle and headed for the Birds Nest. I was anxiously awaiting a good nights rest for my long drive the following morning. Upon arrival and to my surprise there were no lights on and the door was locked. There was a note left on the door with a number to call for service. I called the number and the owner answered. I informed him that I had arrived and I had reservations for tonight.

(I had booked a week in advance. At the time of booking I informed him the time I would arrive, as it would be late, and asked him if it would be OK. The owner had no problems with this as he informed me he would have airport "transfers" at this time. He also said parking at the B and B would be no problem and there would be space available).

During our conversation he informed me he had OVERBOOKED and that he did not have any rooms available. He apologized and offered me a spot on the couch and said he would be right there. I agreed and waited outside in the cold fog and rain. I was left standing on the front step and was very tired and after a 19 hour day. I was appreciative to be offered even a couch at this point. I waited until I just couldn't wait any longer. I was exhausted!!!!!. THE OWNER DID NOT SHOW AND DID NOT EVEN HAVE THE COURTESY TO RETURN MY CALL!!!!! I was forced to look for other accommodations. I called every hotel in Deer Lake with no luck. The closest place was Corner Brook (approx 30 min drive). At 3:30am, it was a last resort, but was the only option I had. Exhausted, I travelled to Corner Brook and spent the night.

I travel often for both business and leisure, and this is the WORST, ABSOLUTE WORST service I have ever received. I would rate this 0/5 if possible, because TERRIBLE IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!! It cost me extra gas, money and very valuable sleep time.

After reading the reviews for the Birds Nest B and B I am glad I did not get the opportunity to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Brian D

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I would have left after walking through except we didn't have any transportation or was worried we would not have found another room for four. Just stayed one night but was very uncomfortable, entrance, rooms, bathrooms patio very dirty. We asked if they had the place cleaned regularly which he said they did but I doubt it. The breakfast knook was very dirty, milk left out on table looked very unsanitary. The truck that he uses to transport us to the airport was very dirty. I would not recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone. Needs to have this place inspected and shut down if things aren't improved.

Room Tip: do not stay here mish mash of funiture in bedrooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 382traveller
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We stayed here on July 17. Wish we had taken time to read the reviews before we chose this location. I have to agree with the two previous reviews. The exterior is very poorly maintained, the porch boards were loose and in bad need of paint or stain. The grass needed to be cut, there were many cars in the two driveways that flank the house. The owner told us that he offers a park and fly service as well as B&B and so that was the reason for the vehicles in his yard. The common areas looked okay, however we chose not to spend anytime there after we saw our room. Our room was in bad need of a good cleaning and freshening up. It was dusty, the bathroom floors needed cleaning, the vents on the wall were clogged with dust. The bathroom had two thin bath towels, one thin hand towel and washcloth. We have never been in this situation before and didn't really know how to graciously tell him that we would not stay there. That and the fact that this is a small town and we weren't sure where else we could stay on short notice. We decided to make the best of it and only stayed there for the time that we slept. The next morning, we wanted to pay with a charge card. The owner was not equipped for this option and so we had follow him to his wife's cafe on Main St to pay our bill there. Lesson learned: read Trip Advisor thoroughly before booking and have a back up plan. Also, find out what to do if we are ever in a similar situation again.

Room Tip: No suggestions. i would not stay there again.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Claire V
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This has the potential to be a very nice B&B but has not been looked after. It is desperately in need of some major cleaning and maintenance. There was staining and hair in the bottom of the shower, splash marks on the walls next to the sink and dirt on the floor and baseboards. The room we had was small but adequately furnished. The bed was comfortable and the linens were cleaned (I had a close look after seeing the state of the bathroom!). There were two large sitting areas, one an addition, for use by their guests, one with a big screen TV with an excellent signal. The owners were away when we arrived but had left a cell phone in the mail box for us to contact them on arrival so we had no difficulty checking in. However, in our bathroom there was only one face cloth and two threadbare bath towels. We had to call the owner back and he did arrange for someone to get us some clean towels. There was only liquid soap at the sink and a used sample size of shampoo - no soap bars for the shower and no new bottles of shampoo (fortunately we travel with our own!!). Breakfast was self serve - toast and/or cereal, with communal jars of jelly/jam although the host did cook bacon and eggs to order.

Room Tip: Check the room before you commit to stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tumbleweed17
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Owner was not there when we arrived. We had to wait for him to come to register. Room very small and bed uncomfortable. No toiletries except one small bottle of shampoo. Mold on shower curtain.
Breakfast was fine as we asked for an early one and he cooked bacon and eggs. I was told when booking that his wife had a restaurant in town but it was not open . When it came time to check out I was told that to use credit I would have to follow him to restaurant to use machine or pay cash! We managed to scrape together enough cash to pay but realized after leaving that I never got a receipt!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tomalty49
Reviewed 13 October 2012

This has to be the worst facility I have ever stayed in. After reading some of the other reviews (much to late for me now) I have to agree with some of them completely. How this B&B ever got a passing rating is beyond belief. The yard was a mess and the entrance was dirty with smudges on the walls. At first sight the accommodation looked reasonable. However when we actually moved into the room and had a chance to look at in in greater detail, this is what we found. The bathroom was dirty with mould around the bottom of the shower and spital of toothpaste on the wall near the sink. The walk-in closet was filled with folding cots so that we could not access the hangers to hold our coats.

Enter the room, where to begin. The huge TV had a picture you could hardly see, The bed spreads were frayed but were somewhat clean as were the sheets. This was the best part of the room. The floor was not clean and showed a lot of wear and scratches. Behind the TV and under the beds was not just dirt but it looked like straw pieces (probably from the mattresses) piled a good two inches thick. There is no way this room had been inspected in any detail in at least two years. I could continue but I think you get the picture. As for breakfast, once you stepped over the cereal on the floor to get to a table you could have a selection of cold cereal or toast with the cheapest of peanut butter and jam, These were obviously used as community jars as one could see butter and jam in the peanut butter jar and butter in the jam jar.

Believe me a pig sty would be an improvement. This place was absoutley awful. How it got its rating and write-up in the Newfoundland accommodations is beyond belief?

Room Tip: don't come close to this facility even if you have to drive further to find some accommodation...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William K
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I think my expectations were high because this has a 4 star rating, and I don't think it deserves it. We came the end of Sept, had not reserved a room, had to wait an hour while one was cleaned for us, that wasn't an issue as we went to eat supper. Some things were missing from the room that would have been nice, Kleenex, soap for the shower, extra pillows so you could read, I could have gone to find the owner to ask, but was simply too tired. The bed was comfortable and the room clean, towels were older ones that didn't match. We did ask for breakfast at 7:30 am rather than wait until 8 as we needed to have an earlier start, I didn't mind continental, however it was pretty cheap,cold cereal, margarine and the cheapest jam. Off season rates were only $85 with tax, so proce was good, it's just the 4 star thing.....

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple