“Average But Overpriced”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Deer Lake
Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
“Average But Overpriced”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is fairly new and nicely decorated. They have a hot breakfast on site so that's a plus. The room was supposed to be suitable for 4 people but there was only 1 chair in the room. Overall we had a comfortable stay but given the location, it's definitely overpriced.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Deer Lake, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear kentdacanuck,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We are delighted about your positive comments with the condition of our facilities and the breakfast you had. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize we did not exceed your expectations. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

We value your comments and hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

We did not enjoy our stay at this hotel. So much so in fact that I felt I had to write this review.
Our room was not available to check into until almost 4 hours after the check in time. The front desk staff was unhelpful and totally unaccommodating and lacking compassion for a family traveling with 3 small children.
The hot tub was closed and the pool was ok. The change rooms next to the pool were deplorable - and since our room was not ready, we were advised to change there and "take advantage" of the "pool facilities".
We got a whole lot of excuses and a 10% discount when we complained which we felt wholly inadequate.
I did get a follow up call after I filled out the survey they sent to me. She again told me about how we came at a very busy time, perhaps too many people had late check outs etc. She provided me with points enough for an overnight stay. It will definitely not be at that holiday inn location.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Nadine M
Roseann W, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Deer Lake, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hi Nadine M
Thank you for your comments regarding your resent stay. As you can see from our many positive guest reviews your stay was an exception and not the norm. We value all of our guest comments and have taken steps to ensure all our guests stays are more than memorable. Please consider us again when traveling through Deer Lake.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I've never posted a review of anywhere that I've stayed before, as typically I can manage just about anything and am not really one to complain....however, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Deer Lake for 2 nights last weekend and must say that it was absolutely one of the worst hotel stays I've ever experienced. I booked this hotel because it was new, and a recognizable chain, but it was big mistake.

First of all, the walls are paper thin, and on both nights that I was there were people screaming and running through the halls up until about 430am. I called the front desk on numerous occasions, who had said that there had been a number of complaints, however they were totally unable to get it under control and as result I was literally awake for 2 full nights. You can also hear conversations in the room above and below you verbatim.

Rooms a reasonably clean, however showers leak all over the bathroom floors. I don't know whats going on with the water purification, but the taps all ran yellow water. The bathtub, sink, toilet, and shower all had yellow water....and a number of guests were complaining.

There is no on site restaurant, and the closest one is a 5 minute drive away.

The swimming pool and the hot tub are a swamp. So dirty. The hot tub had hair floating around in it, and water was white and murky. The pool, was algae filled and also equally as murky.

I don't know if there a whole lot of options in Deer Lake...and the rest of the reviews here seem reasonable good (which was a factor in our booking decision), however my experience was terrible.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank japples23
Roseann W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Deer Lake, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hello Japples23
Thank you for your review. We value all guest feedback and assure you every reasonable effort has been made to ensure your next stay will be more than satisfactory. Our positive reviews are a testament to the level of service we strive to provide.
Grand falls
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I read some reviews before booking for my trip. All the negative things I read we're(in my opinion) small things...

The place is easy to find from the highway with there being proper signage located at the few turns you would need to make.

There are nearby restaurants and the price is dead on.

The hotel itself was wonderful. The staff were friendly and the hotel itself was clean. My room was properly stocked and the bed was very comfortable. The hot tub ,pool and waterside were also a bonus. My biggest surprise was the complimentary breakfast, I expected a coffee pot and some stale muffins on a small table. This free breakfast spread had everything, coffee, juice, fruit, bagels,muffins, bacon, cereal,pancakes...a bit of everything.

If you need a place to stay in deer lake stop by the holiday inn express.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Evan P
King's Point, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Our last stay was amazing!!! Traveling with three kids isn't always easy and the staff were amazing at making our stay the best ever. They went above and beyond to make us comfortable and we had a great night. I will always be grateful for their help and their smiles! The swimming pool is warm, clean and inviting as is the hot tub!! Our room was perfect for a larger family!! We weren't sure why the curtains wouldn't close though? and forgot to ask the next morning. The buffet breakfast included was great as always. A tip for anyone who doesn't want to leave the hotel to eat.... We had awesome pizza and they delivered! Just check the Yellow pages and most restaurants will let you know if they will deliver to the hotel. All in all, it's a great hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kimberly A
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

4.5 really, but i didn't have that option:)
I stayed at the Holiday inn for a couple of nights before I left Newfoundland and it was a great stay. The pool was the most pleasant as my older sister and I spent most of our time in there. The staff was very helpful and made sure we got everything we needed which was greatly appreciated. The only small problem we had is that because our room was right next to the staircase, we could here everyone walking up and down it. There was a team of some sort and they were happy to walk up and down the stairs more then once. I guess it is the chance you take at every hotel but overall it was a great stay!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to staircase