“Location Location Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quirpon Lighthouse Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quirpon Island
Quirpon Lighthouse Inn
Landisburg, Pennsylvania
“Location Location Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

My wife and I , with another couple, traveled to Newfoundland in mid-July 2011. After finding information about the Quirpon Lighthouse Inn on-line, we were really looking forward to spending time on Quirpon Island. In making resevations we did have trouble catching someone by phone and we had some unreturned phone calls but we were able to eventually finalize our plans.

We were met at the mainland dock by a local operator of a small fishing boat and a couple of helpers. Our gear was quickly loaded into the small craft and we climbed down an eight foot ladder and into the boat. For passengers there was one small bench (room for 3) and one additional small seating area. Then, zoom we were off, full throttle, bucking the waves and throwing a cold spray. This was a rough, great and wild ride! As we pounded the waves we saw some distant whales and cruised right by massive icebergs arriving at the cove where the dock for the Inn is located. We scaled up thier eight foot ladder and in just 20-25 minutes we had arrived.

A 600+/- yard long dirt road leads up from the shore up to the Inn. Our helpers transported our gear for us. We met the caretaker and found our rooms and couldn't wait to start looking around before dinner.

Meals were average to spartan. The first night's serving of "Jiggs Dinner" was not something I would care to have ever again, but after that, meals were basic and of the normal everyday type adequate fare. Do not expect gourmet delights, however, the fresh cookies set out in the kitchen were very good.

The bedrooms were comfortable. Our room had a window with a screen that could be opened for cooling fresh air. Some of the other rooms had windows that could not open due to storm windows which were believed to be too difficult to put up each Fall and to take down each Spring, so those rooms did get quite warm.

This is a magnificent location! Steep cliffs to the sea below the Inn and treeless rolling hills above the Inn. Surf. Whales. Icebergs. Warm Sun. Chilly breezes. Interesting views in all directions, endless hiking options and history all around.

Great oportunities for photography of all subjects. I especially enjoyed photographing a family of foxes that lived nearby and were accustomed to seeing people in there home area.

We choose not to try the kayaking but I'm sure for those who have the time, bravery and stamina to paddle amoung breaching whales near icebergs this would be an amazing experience.

The caretakers readilly answered questions and offered advice when asked but pretty much left us on our own to explore and we liked that.

We stayed two nights and that seemed like the minimum time to get a real sense of the area. It is expensive, but to stay just one night would just not provide enough time.

Having been to Quirpon and having read some past reviews I've come to believe that contingencies and conditions are often not fully understood by potential guests.

Be aware:

1. That high winds, rough seas, foul weather, fog and rain may allow just a brief boat ride across the channel and that the guests will need to hike-in to the Inn. We did not need to hike but for those ill equiped physically or emontionally for a tough perhaps hour long slog in bad nasty weather carrying their own luggage over rugged terrain with a trail that can be difficult to follow could doom any possible enjoyment. Only take what you can carry in one backpack but don't leave your camera gear behind!

2. In July 2011 the Inn did not operate thier own boat. My guess is that the boat ride probably varies a great deal based on which local fisherman is available to make the run up from the dock on the mainland. We enjoyed a great ride but do not expect a tour boat or plush ferry.

3. In foul weather the Inn may suggest to hikers that they will transport luggage up or down the island by ATV or that they may give a ride to a non-hiker via the ATV. It seems that the ATV trail on the island is frequently impassible and that the ATV is often broken down, so this offer can not always be honored.

4. 2011 was an extraordinary year for icebergs. We saw, very close-up, so many bergs in so many shapes, hues and sizes. In future years the ice conditions could be very different.

I would be eager to return to Quirpon Island but I do have some leg problems which would make a hike-in difficult. If I get the opportunity to go back I would plan my time on the mainland to be flexible and call the Inn daily to see if they have a vacancy and to learn if conditions will allow the boat to run from the mainland to the Inn to avoid having to make the hike and make the trip when conditions are perfect, as they were for us this past summer.

Go for the unique location, you will not be disappointed. Plan to go else where for great food, plush accomodations and low prices.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DDtripsmith

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
IJlst
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Rough ride over coming, lovely accommodation and friendly people. I did nog like the hike trough the bog on the way back because it rained a lot and wearing spectacles allowd very little lokking round. The guide told us 35 minutes, but that is a too short period to do the walk in this kind of weather, if you are a little older. Bur they can't help the weather, for the rest, great. Goof and tasty meals, whales in the distance, foxes playing around the house. Nice rooms and nice conversations a night while having a drink with real iceberg ice!
Always make it two nights, otherwise you will only have one evening, arriving at 4 or 5 in the afternoon and starting back next morning at 10.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank alierommers640
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

We too paid $375.00 for a "suite". Our problem was not the ATV being broken down but the ferry. As other commenters mentioned eight people going over together not an option when the ferry is broken. We were sent ( 2 couples) over in a fishing dory while a family of 5 was sent in another fishing dory. Seas were rough. No life jackets and I very much doubt the vessel was licensed by Transport Canada to transport passengers for hire. I was comforted by the fact the two fisherman at the helm were dressed in survival gear.

Having had considerable experience with bed and breakfasts, I knew to book only one night (as you can usually beg to stay another night if it is good) and in this case was very glad I followed that advice.

Let me share with you what the meal is for $375.00 a night. We had "jiggs dinner" This is shoe leather roast beef, served without a glass of wine or beer. Also I was left wondering if it is more expensive to bring butter across to this island as the bread was served with margarine. When it came time to leave the next day I refused to get back into the fishing dory. I was informed that the trail was unmarked (the same 6-7 kilometre trail the others had to hike in with their luggage). I guess my expression gave them the sense that my estate would be suing them if I did not make it off the island and they eventually offered up a guide to take us (turned out to be the guy needed to fix the ferry). Well by now the weather had cleared and that 6-7 km hike (I had the hiking shoes necessary) was the highlight of the stay on that island. Let me tell you though that it was rough terrain and my heart goes out to the couples who did it in foul weather without a guide. That was simply inexcusable and shows the unfortunate (I encountered it elsewhere on the Rock during my one week vacation there) lackadaisical attitude of those responsible for the comfort of guests at this Inn.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank meanderingtraveller
Arnhem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

We enjoyed a night at Quirpon, however the weather was not too good. The boat ride, in a smaller open boat was great, but may be a bit exciting in windy weather. We enjoyed it. From the wharf, it ia a bit of a hike uphill, lugage is transferred by ATV, to the inn. There are 2 buildings, the inn itself and a separate 5 bedroom building. There is a sunroom overlooking the ocean as a third building, which should be great for watching whales or storms. We did see humpback whales in the cove.
The room was a 2 doubles, but the beds need replacement. Our room had a shared bathroom, but as the other room on the second floor was not occupied, it was private. As not all rooms were occupied, the innkeeper arranged that all visitors had a private washroom.
The food was not great, we expected more for the price. The cod was overcooked and the mash dry. Breakfast was better.

Please note that you have to leave your car at the dock, so if you do not feel comfortable doin that, rethink this location.
All in all, a great location, in touch with nature, possibilit to kayak in calmer seas, grea viewing, hiking across the island, but food needs to improve.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Reisaapie
New Brunswick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

Friends and I enjoyed a fantastic few days at Quirpon Lighthouse Inn. I started each day with - yes - yoga on the helipad, just steps from the whale & iceberg watching station where the others sipped coffee and planned which coves we would hike to see. With our lunch in hand we set out to explore the hidden treasures of the island, keeping eyes out for late season berries to munch on. We didn't swim but standing in the ocean felt super after walking.
The photos, hikes and meals were all excellent - we'll be back again soon!!

Room Tip: Rm where you can hear the whales blow in the cove
  • Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

We spent two nights on Quirpon Island. The boat ride over was rough and actually quite fun. The waves were rolling and we rolled with them. We docked at the bottom of the hill in the harbour and were told to hike up to the main house for our room allocations. It was a 5 minute walk.

We stayed at the house further from the main house. We paid for a private bath in our room and I have to say, I have never seen anything like it. The shower and toilet were in a tiny closet!! The sink was in the room. The other rooms on the main floor seemed to have good sized bathrooms so I'd ask for one of those. I think I'd actually request to stay at the main house where the meals are served as we didn't feel any warm hospitality of the staff. All we experienced was the obnoxious behaviour of the family of 4 that arrived with us and had no respect for others as they crashed and shouted in the common room in our house. Imagine our excitement when a family of 5 arrived for the second night we were there!! I don't blame the inn for that behaviour although I think it wouldn't have happened at the main house.

We booked Quirpon Island because we were interested in the kayaking. Unfortunately we were told the guide quit 2 weeks before we arrived so we weren't able to kayak. We did hike the island and it was stunning. We saw dolphins and a seal while sitting on the rocks overlooking the water. We have many wonderful pictures of our hike across the island. When leaving the island there was a whale just hanging out in the water. We got fairly close to it in the boat. That was pretty amazing.

All in all, a good experience that we're glad we had.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ilove2traveltoo
Croton on Hudson, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

We were told we had to go to the Quirpon Island Lighthouse by one of the NL Tourist offices. In order to do so we had to extend our stay in NL by 2 days. The $350/day cost was off-putting, but we heard that the experience was not to be missed. On the day we were to leave for the island, we called the inn. They told us that their ATV which carries the luggage had broken down. It was raining with 50kph winds and the temperature was in the mid 40s (Farenheit). The woman on the phone told us to buy some rain gear and only bring what we could fit into a backpack.

We were picked up at the dock in a small powerboat which we shared with 2 sisters who were totally unprepared for the journey ahead. They were carrying bags in their hands and not dressed for the weather. They, like we, were expecting to have their luggage picked up and take a 40 minute hike to the inn.

The boat captain gave us vague instructions on how to hike the 7 KM to the inn. As soon as we got off the boat and walked up from the bank, we realized we had no idea how to find the inn. Luckily my phone had a small signal and we got directions from the inn. The next 2 hours were spent slogging through mud, across moors and rocky streams, and up hills in cold, rainy, windy, foggy conditions. In less forbidding weather, the island would have been beautiful. Finally we arrived at the inn, freezing and soaked, where we were welcomed by the friendly staff and the other guests who were already there. We had a nice dinner and breakfast and had to leave at 10:00 the next morning. It wasn't raining, but the winds were gusting to 100kph. We completed the 7km hike out and took the short boat ride back to our car.

We saw nothing but whitecaps in the brief time we were there— all this for $350! (If you stay for more than a day you are fed 3 meals for this price), so because we weren't fed lunch, had to hike across the island carrying our luggage both ways, and saw no wildlife whatsoever, I have to say that I've never felt so ripped off in my entire life. We met the owner who was surprised that we were disappointed with our experience. He later emailed me to tell me that the sisters, who stayed for 2 days, saw several big whales and really enjoyed themselves. However, emails that they shared with me, paint an entirely different picture. I wouldn't be surprised if the other poor review is theirs.

In conclusion, I would have to say that if the weather were great, we might have had a different experience. If the weather is bad, it will be an arduous hike, no whales to see, and the feeling that you have just thrown away a lot of money for— what?

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Quirpon, Owner at Quirpon Lighthouse Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Unfortunately, these guests arrived in a severe fall storm and had to come into our remote landing and both our ATVs were down. After hearing their report I took the following steps to ensure this bad experience is never repeated: 1. The following day we tripled the number of trail markers and signs. 2. Last summer we were already in the process of building a boardwalk/trail the length of the island for walking and ATV shuttles, in case others have to make this walk in stormy fall weather. Over the winter the remaining lumber to complete the boardwalk sections was brought out to the island to complete it this summer. 3. I have hired a new person solely responsible for guest experiences to help visitors enjoy their trip to the island as thoroughly as we always hoped they would.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quirpon Island
#4 of 4 in St. Anthony
Haven Inn
Haven Inn
#2 of 4 in St. Anthony

Been to Quirpon Lighthouse Inn? Share your experiences!