“Great place to stay,even if cash only”
Review of Candlelight B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rocky Harbour
Candlelight B & B
Ranked #1 of 10 Rocky Harbour B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Ladies from Niagara....Stayed one night in late June and host Winston was a delight. Lovely room with 2 beds and amazing breakfast with lots of options to meet all needs. Very clean and we did not mind the cash only for this one man operation. We felt at home and heard great stories and ideas for visiting the area. Go see Anchor's Aweigh show at local motel...not to be missed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank CEL5859

Reviewed 30 July 2012

When booking this b and b I was well aware that the owner only accepted cash, so I was prepared for that. The owner greeted us upon arrival, showed us to our room and explained the procedures for breakfast. He informed us of places to visit and about local entertainment that evening. Our room was spacious and comfortable the bedding and towels were clean. The floors and area rug could have used a vacuuming. Other b and b's request people to leave outer footwear at the door - this would help with floors I think. It seemed like Winston was running this b and b alone, so perhaps it is a lot for one older person to handle. The bathroom was ok, but not entirely clean. It was nothing major, but still......not up to my standards.
Breakfast, however, in the morning was fantastic - very satisfying and enough to keep you going until late afternoon.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Okay when we drove up with are friends I was concerned...The outside needs some attention.. ie grass trimming...It was a church that has been renovated....When we entered the surprise was GREAT....We had 2 rooms and they were CLEAN and cute..I had a terrific sleep that night...Winston was very pleasant. We spent the evening playing cards we used the fridge and the coffee and tea and fruit bowl was available 24/7...Breakfast was good ,eggs how you like them.Juice coffee/tea cereal eggs toast ..bacon and fresh fruit.. the only thing strange he only takes cash ...otherwise I would recommend this place.I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dianna H
Reviewed 3 September 2011

|Our unanimous first impression as we drove up was "Oh, Oh have we made a big mistake" booking this location, even knowing it had a 4 star rating.
Once inside however, we found a much more inviting atmosphere & a very nice & friendly owner, Winston. We also found our rooms nice, the linens were fine & the beds very comfortable.
Winston went out of his way to assist us with a flat tire on our truck. He had it pumped up first thing in the morning so we could quickly drive it to a recommended service station for repairs.
Winston prepared an excellent full breakfast for all of us. "His pancakes were the best ever". Needless to say, we all left well fed & satisfied.
While definitely not a "4" rating overall, this location was certainly a solid "3" in our book.
Gary & Mary Ellen Thorne
John & Marion Lobban

Room Tip: The outside appearance should not deter you from staying here.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1961Gary1961
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We booked this place last minute based on published information available to us on our trip. I do not understand how this B & B was able to get a four star rating through Canada Select. At first blush this B & B seems clean however it is deceiving and once you look closer you can see that it is not clean. For example, our bedsheets had obviously not been changed as they were full of hair and were soiled. When I brought it to the proprietors attention and requested new sheets he was insistant that I was incorrect. I was provided with clean bedding and I ended up changing the bedding myself and discovered that not only were the sheets soiled but that the mattress did not have a cover on it nor the pillows. Once I got home, I looked back at a previously written review from 2010 and discovered that our experience was not unique.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Teresa01_10
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My 92 year old mother and I had a reservation here, but when we arrived our room had been given to someone else. There was not other place in town to stay and we had to travel 45 minutes to the next town, Cow Head.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Janet L
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We had a lovely stay here for 3 nights. Our host, Winston, was amazing in providing us with everything that we needed and more. He is a "one man show" and is an attraction in his own right. We had comfortable accommodations with TV and plenty of DVD's for a rainy day, plentiful food for breakfast that appealed to adults and a picky 7-year old, and a superb location. We were within walking distance to restaurants, grocery stores, and within 40 minute drive to most sites within Gros Morne. I would not hesitate to stay here again. Thank you, Winston!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
#3 of 5 in Gros Morne National Park
Sugar Hill Inn
Sugar Hill Inn
#2 of 4 in Norris Point

Been to Candlelight B & B? Share your experiences!