“Great stay with notable subtleties”
Review of Gros Morne Suites

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rocky Harbour
Gros Morne Suites
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My thoughts of Gros Morne suites

Firstly, we can all agree , the suites as advertised is correct. They are modern, well designed, efficient and equipped. A real home away from home , we couldn't have been better placed or happier . With the fish market in walking distance ( eye's view away) and a short walk to the Salmon Point view( one of the best in this area), this condo is great. We were also able to have suite #5, which I requested per my earlier trip advisor review research, and was luckily provided. So my pleasure and experience is based solely on having this suite and it's great positioning to total privacy and perfect end of day sunset view And relaxation. I cannot speak for the rest of the property!

However , I would like to chat a bit about the things that were different than I imagined:
--firstly, my reservations were made online with Jen. This was a warm and very informative communication. Since arriving, I was able to continue this communication via email for advice, etc. However, she is not someone you will meet during your stay.
-- my first NF experience was at the Museum shop where we picked up our suite keys . I must say, we were slightly taken aback as the welcome was not as warm as we expected (the interest was more in the transaction of the full payment of the 4 nite accommodation at the suite) , never about where we travelled from, etc... But we learnt along the way that folks from NF are different than those from NS, in terms of immediate friendliness. What I mean is-- The NF folks are a bit shy at the initial hello, but they actually warm up very fast and are truly wonderful people, If I had known this subtlety at first, I would have been better prepared. So please take note of this.
--another subtlety is the location of the suites, which is the south end of the main st. Our suite was located along the path of a cemetery. I must say, initially this was a bit weird, as some previous guests have alluded to. But I must admit, after the initial shock, the cemetery becomes invisible and peaceful.
- you should try the 'screeching in' ceremony at the Ocean View hotel, it's fun and the pub offers nice local music and it's a friendly environment.
So all in all, if I ever have the opportunity to visit Rocky Harbour again in the future, I would request Gros Morne Suite #5 again! It made for a perfect vacay get away for me and hubby!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Andrea D

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Initial service was lukewarm. Basically here's your keys - see ya.
The suite appears nice until the people above you get in... Poor construction appears to have missed something as it's noisier than the 60+ yr old outport house we had in twillingate. Never ever book a main floor suite (unless you bring ear plugs).
The kitchen was woefully lacking in supplies. Two bowls for five people. No BBQ utensils and only a plastic spoon & spatula in sight to prepare with. No paper towels, which I'd have expected.
When I mentioned the bowls a check out I was told I should have called?!
On the positive side it was nice and clean, good views of the sunset, walk to earls (get bread & 1/2 moon cake!!) and seafood, the cemetery is right there and has some interesting headstones
If you can manage the noise and they stocked appropriately it wouldn't be half bad.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank gimmellsmom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

It is midnight on our second night at Gros Morne Suites and I am writing this instead of being able to sleep. New occupants have just arrived and awakened me. Last night it was footsteps at 1:30AM. There would appear to be no sound insulation between the first and second floors.

Otherwise, the accommodations are quite good, two rooms with queen beds, a kitchen and living room. All great, if you have hearing problems or can sleep through a typhoon, you will be more than happy with this location, it may also be great on the second floor, but I cannot recommend the first floor accommodation.

The primary reason for renting this room was to sleep and this property has failed to deliver.

Room Tip: Insist on the upper level, or stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank John A
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in the Gros Morne Accommodations building not the Suites, which was a bit of a disappointment as I had expected to be in the Suites when I booked. However once we were in the room we were quite pleased. Check in was odd as you check in at the Wildlife Museum then have to drive around town to the actual accommodations. It was spacious, clean and comfortable. We did have a view of the harbour area which was nice. The outside deck was small and the chairs were broken, the parking was tight, and the bathroom only had a stand up shower (which was a pain as we were travelling with younger kids) but those would be the only complaints. The price was around $120 per night which was quite reasonable for the room. I would definitely be back next time we are travelling through Newfoundland.

Room Tip: Clarify where you are staying (Suites vs Accommodations) when booking and if you are in the Accommod...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 20ksk14
Reviewed 1 August 2014

In order to have a view of the water, we had to overlook a cemetery. This was the most expensive stop on our vacation and definitely not worth $ 159.00 a night. We had expected that this place would have been higher up into Gros Morne with great panoramic view.There are several other choices on the water that would have better especially for the pocketbook. In hindsight if we were looking to spend that kind of money again, we would recommend the Ocean View Hotel. When we checked in, we did not get a warm reception basically sign here, take your keys and goodbye

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard C
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We had an upper suite in one cottage and a lower suite in the one next door. The lower suite was more spacious and became our command center. We walked to the top of the hill before we unpacked. Beautiful. There is a seafood store just up the way where we bought tons of fresh fish and seafood to cook in our kitchen. We were very grateful for, and made full use of the laundry facilities. While hiking a difficult trail in the park, one member of our party had a medical emergency. Phone service is iffy but the owners of the cottages came to tell us the news and to help. I was cooking dinner when the news came and was worried about starting a fire. They sent us off to deal with the problem and while we were gone everything was put in the fridge. So kind!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Suzan A
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The folks who run Gros Morne suites and hostel have now picked up the former Cozy Corner cottages and changed the name to Gros Morne cottages. Confusing, as there are also Gros Morne Cabins down the road. We stayed here 4 nights and it was a perfect location for us. It is right "downtown" and across the street from the waterfront. Our spacious one bedroom had a separate bedroom, well equipped kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator, a sofa, and dining area. A little porch out front had a BBQ and two chairs, from which we could watch the world go by. We enjoyed Rocky Harbour, the friendly people, its proximity to all the activities in Gros Morne National Park. Very quiet except for the last night, when folks next door were engaged in loud outdoor conversation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Gros Morne Cabins
Gros Morne Cabins
#3 of 5 in Gros Morne National Park
Shallow Bay Motel & Cabins

Been to Gros Morne Suites? Share your experiences!