Ocean View Hotel
US$129
US$126
US$102
US$99
Deer Lake Motel(Deer Lake)
US$133
Agoda.com
US$134
HIExpress.com
Driftwood Inn(Deer Lake)
US$98
Travelocity
Hotel Corner Brook(Corner Brook)
US$97
Orbitz.com
US$113
US$109
Agoda.com
All reviewsthe pubsecond floordining roomrestaurant upstairsnicest hotelbonne baynext morningexcellent locationbeautiful scenerylobster dinnerstayed here for two nightsgros morne national parkmusselssmall balconynewfoundland musicnice roomfor sale
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here during our trip through Gros Morne this summer. I was drawn to the hotel largely for its location and high reviews on this site. While I cannot complain about the location, I question a lot of the high reviews that the hotel has received, as my impressions were not the same.

As I understand it, the hotel was upgraded from being a motel under different management in recent years. I found that the renovation left much to be desired. Our room was very poorly lit, with a number of quirks: the layout was poor, there was no fan in the bathroom, and we were never given the key to either our deadbolt or exterior door, causing us to lock ourselves out on one occasion.

We were also without wifi for the entirety of our two night stay. I raised this shortly after our arrival to the desk staff, but didn't receive any response suggesting that they were making efforts to remedy the problem. I raised the issue again upon checkout. The agent seemed to be unaware that there was an issue at all. I suggested that this should merit some discount, and they reduced my bill by $10.

Our stay was not without its highlights. The hotel band, Anchors Aweigh, provided an excellent performance. We received helpful advice on planning our stay in the park and I enjoyed both the dinner and breakfast that we ate in the hotel restaurant.

While I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed with the experience, I think the hotel is overpriced for what you get. In future, I would try to book elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
OVM2730, Owner at Ocean View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Hi and thanks for time in reviewing your stay with us. Glad you enjoyed the location, food and entertainment. I apologize that you were let down by the room and recognize the lighting issues with a few rooms (to be upgraded for 2014). Not sure why you did not get a key for the outside? Also, the internet issue was resolved...so sorry it occurred during your visit. Hope we can make it up by exceeding your expectations on the next visit.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Lovely setting, stayed there with some friends and took in the Anchors Aweigh show. Stayed in the Oceanview Suite - the room was spacious and beautifully appointed; however, I would have expected a nicer bathroom - this one only had a shower stall, no bathtub. The restaurant food was quite good, however, the service was below standard both at dinner and breakfast the next morning. The hotel staff, however, were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this hote.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms have an amazing view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Hi and thanks for the review! Glad you had a nice stay with us. That's a great room and we simply decided to go with a big shower instead of a bath...thinking we may add a Jacuzzi. Not sure what happened re the service at dinner...fee free to email us as I do appreciate knowing and need the details to fix the issues. Thanks again for your time!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times and ate at the restaurant many times - it's one of our favorite places here at Gros Morne. Tonight in one of the mussels I found a worm in a shell of one of the mussels about 1 1/2 inches long. I told the waiter and she brought it back to the kitchen - the chef's explanation was that it was a mussel tongue! Please don't insult my intelligence with that! Even if it's not your fault that there was a worm there you could have recognized how gross and unappetizing that was - but there wasn't any empathy whatsoever.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Islandwandergirl

Hi there and thanks for the review. I am glad you have had some nice stays with us and do apologize for the dinner incident. I can only conclude that it was an unfortunate miscommunication between your server and the chef...and a bad call on the server's part from there forward. Pretty sure we've cleared this one up for future visits!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Rocky Harbour is a lovely seaside village located within the boundaries of Gros Morne National Park. The Ocean View Hotel lives up to its name as it is located just across the road from the harbour in the centre of town. Our room was clean and quiet. We appreciated having a small patio just outside with a bench on which to sit. The attached restaurant served tasty food and the staff was very friendly. A pub with regular live entertainment is also located within the hotel. The Ocean View is in an ideal location to take advantage of all the activities that Gros Morne offers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ocean side so you can enjoy a beautiful sunset.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Audrey S

Hi and thanks for the great review. Appreciate the feedback very much. Glad you had a nice stay with us and thanks for the advice for people looking through the reviews. Hope to host you again!

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed there 2nights when visiting Gros Morne park. Rooms were fine, nothing fancy. The food in the restaurant though was very good and good value for both breakfast and dinner (had lobster linguini). The motel bar shows are busy, and sell out, so buy your entry tickets a day in advance.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thanks for the time in completing your review. I am glad you enjoyed the dining and I too always go for the Lobster Linguini. Thanks for adding a few tips for your fellow travelers.