“After seeing this place, I can now understand why my friend moved back here”

Woody Point Lighthouse
Ajax, Canada
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“After seeing this place, I can now understand why my friend moved back here”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I had a fellow who used to work for me in Ontario, and after years of talking about moving back home, one day he just packed up and left. Having never been in Newfounland I didn't know what to expect. The drive into the village is spectacular. The lighthouse is iconic and Wood Point is exactly what a fishing village should be. Photo of the lighthouse is hanging on our wall

Visited June 2011
1 Thank Ajax-Ian12

venice
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Woody Point Lighthouse”
Reviewed 24 April 2008

Stability and Light. I have long been fascinated with lighthouses. Despite their robust structure, lighthouses are indispensable to sailors and travelers. Lighthouses mark dangerous coastlines and shoals. They enable the safe entry, as well as exits to harbors. Somehow I feel safe just looking at lighthouses. They seem very sturdy and stable. Even if the weather condition is pretty bad, lighthouses shine like some precious gem amidst the dark horizon. Lighthouses seem unaffected by the strong waves and thunderous wind.

My earliest recollection of lighthouses was when my parents took me to this picturesque lighthouse south of Bonne Bay. We drove hours and hours to get to this amiable town, and then traveled some more to reach the spot. There was nothing peculiar about this particular lighthouse. Aside from being fairly smaller than the other lighthouses I have seen, nothing is different about it. But the Woody Point Lighthouse is some of the most beautiful structures I have seen.

The roofs are cherry-red, the walls pristine white. It looks more like a generous serving of vanilla ice cream topped with ripe cherry. Built in 1959, this 20 feet lighthouse is still in used until now. The Woody Point Lighthouse is one of the historic landscapes of Newfoundland. The view from the lighthouse is astonishing, almost surreal. Behold the glorious sea, the quaintly shaped clouds, and the green mountain. The best spot in the lighthouse is up. You feel the cool breeze caressing you; the sun warming you all over.

It was spring the day we first visited Woody Point. The flowers were blooming happily, the trees lush green. I remember the laughter of the beefy man on the supply store, the warm smile of the old lady by the street. Most of all, I remember the happiness I experienced as I gaze into this simple structure. I have been eyeing it since we arrived at the town- first out of curiosity, then out of awe. It is not one of those mementos that feel dull, without meaning. The lighthouse holds history and security.

Ten years since my first visit to Woody Point, I am here once again enjoying the scenery, taking my fill of its rich history, visiting great places and indulging in fun activities. Some things have changed in the town. Some stores I used to go to are closed now, there are also new ones already established. Nonetheless, one thing is still the same and that is the sturdy Woody Point Lighthouse.

For more information about Woody Point, check out woodypoint.com