“Great View”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great View”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

This location is very perfect. I was doing the Cabot Trail and had to stay a night in Baddeck. I had some difficulty finding it due to my GPS. The front desk was very kind. The value of the room was okay but not the best. I paid around $150 for a room with 2 double beds. The room was very clean and so was the wash room however the room was very cold. In the morning there was the sunrise and I had a perfect view of it from my room. It was just so beautiful and the sun rose over the lake in front of my family and I. There was a good amount of outlets. Free parking but no free breakfast which you can find in hotels for $150/night. They have an outdoor heated pool but I never got the chance to visit. Their restaurant was also right by the lake with a nice view, didn't go though. Friendly staff as well. Overall would recommend a stay here, 3.5/5.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We spent a day in Baddeck to recover after a 2 week camping trip in the Atlantic provinces. We picked this motel mainly because it was located right along the THC and seemed fairly clean from the reviews.

In this regard, we were not disappointed. We were given a room with a nice view of the lake (as requested) and everything was very clean and well taken care of. During the day it is quite comfortable to just have the windows and the screen door to the porch open, but the semi traffic noise from the THC is a bit much for sleeping so we closed them at night. The window AC unit was extremely loud when turned on, but luckily it was quite cool so we just ran the fan at night. The staff was friendly and helpful. We both had a great night's sleep and were ready for the long haul home to Montreal next the day.

Would definitely stay here again if passing through the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RayShimley
Halifax Region, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

We greatly our stay at this decently priced motel. Motels and Inns in the area can be quite pricy especially if you are planning on staying for multiple nights. This motel was extremely clean, rooms were a good size, and had a great view with a deck with comfy deck chairs to sit out and read and enjoy the view. The bathroom was exceptionally clean although a little dated(don't expect a spa) They had even opened our screen door prior to us arriving so that the room could be aired out. They have a very clean and good sized pool, and it wasn't overloaded with people which made for a nice swim with steps down into the shallow end for those that need the help. They offer coin operated laundry services in a small cabin which we didn't need, but I'm sure is nice for those travelling from further away. They have a nice restaurant with lovely staff. We ate two meals there, supper and breakfast. They had a decent sized menu, and good quality food. We found the breakfast a little pricy, however we do understand they are a seasonal place and need to inflate a little bit. (We did discover the Tim Hortons which was less than a 2 min drive up the road) Staff on all levels were extremely friendly and provided great customer service (including 10% off passes to the Graham Bell Museum) Overall great stay, nice genuine staff, family run, great place for the price.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lindsay, Canada
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This place was beautiful. Great view from all rooms over looking the water. Room was large and clean. No fridge but had ice machine. They have a restaurant on site, didn't eat there but was convenient.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lithia, FL
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Baddeck is a centrally located place to stay while touring Cape Breton. The Cabot Trail Motel is located very near the entrance to the Cabot Trail. Across the street is a gorgeous view of the water. The moon reflected in the water at night. Getting a room with a view is best, but parking will be a little tight in that area. The room was very clean but did not have a microwave or refrigerator. There was a laundry room on site, but they were out of detergent when I was there, so I had to go get some in town. The hotel had a restaurant that served breakfast and dinner, but the restaurant is a little expensive. There are several restaurants nearby, but all of them are a little pricy. The staff was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view for $10 more.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Located just off the highway on the edge of town with a great view of the lake, the Cabot Trail motel makes a great spot to rest after a day of driving. I pre-booked in March and was sad that I was not initially given a veranda room in the front. The proprietress did switch some things around to accommodate me (and my dog, which was why it was difficult to get me a premium room). The first room had a problem with the toilet and I was promptly moved to another room which also had a great view. I really appreciate her efforts. The room was spotless. The beds were a bit hard and there was some odd furniture (an old fashioned fold down sofa bed). The broken toilet room was a bit nicer but both were fine. She told me the specials for dinner and I was very glad I took her advice. The food was excellent. Steamed mussels, traditional fish cakes with baked beans, ginger cake with rum sauce - very dish was extremely well prepared. That meal was a high light of my whole trip.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a veranda ask for one at booking to avoid any disappointment.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Minot, North Dakota
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Booked ahead of our arrival with the owner and she totally looked after us.
This location was perfect for the touring of the Cabot Trail and coming back a second night.
The restaurant closes at 20:00 so don't miss it if you come in late.
There is delivery by a local pizza place which is awesome.

Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
#3 of 17 in Baddeck
Water's Edge Inn
Water's Edge Inn
#8 of 17 in Baddeck

Been to Cabot Trail Motel? Share your experiences!