“clean, comfortable and great food”
Review of Inverary Resort

Inverary Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed here earlier this week, we got what we paid for a basic room with two beds and it was clean. we could park right next to the room which was a bonus. The food in the pub we thought was wonderful, but the breakfast (which was not included) was really nice. Although reading recent reviews i feel we were over charged. We were not offered any special B&B deals including breakfast, which i would have welcomed. We booked through booking.com but it seems the tourist information offices get better deals. In all it cost us 180 dollars for 1 night bed and breakfast, whereas a week earlier guests were paying 85.00 dollars Bed & Breakfast. If only we had known.

We would go back to this hotel but only if we got a better B&B rate.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2011

Dear SScaife20..,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I am glad to hear that your room was clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed your dining experiences. With regard to our rate offerings, I am sorry you were unable to take advantage of our special 'bed & breakfast' package. Unfortunately, we do not offer packages through our booking partner sites. Perhaps next time you are visiting, give us a call and we can offer a package most suitable for you.

All the best and happy halloween!

There are newer reviews for Inverary Resort

Reviewed 21 October 2011

We recently stayed one evening at the Inverary resort during the Celtic Colours fest. We did not have a reservation for this hotel. We had stopped at one of the many information centers in Nova Scotia which assisted with reservations on our way from Halifax to Cape Breton Island. We felt we lucked out because we arrived at the information center in Antigonish about 20 minutes before they closed and asked if they could help with finding a room for that evening near Baddeck. They had recieved the 'rate of the day' offered by the Inverary and we took one of these rooms. The Inverary hotel has many different types of lodging and amenties which make for a charming resort. Most of the hotel is located on the lake. Then there are two story hotel buildings located across the main road from most of the resort including the restaurant, and reception building. Our 'rate of the day' room was located across the street from the lake and the main part of the resort in one of the several two story buildings, which you can drive right up to. The room was clean and updated but very small. I would of been disappointed had I paid full rate for this room. But it was perfect for our last minute booking at a discounted rate. All in all, it was a nice experience and I think some of the other lake front lodging would be very enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Dear DobyCary,

Thank you for your recent visit and great review. I am glad that we were able to host you during Celtic Colours week. I trust you enjoyed some of the local festivities while here. Please visit us again, as we look forward to being your destination of choice the next time you are travelling through Cape Breton.

Reviewed 19 October 2011

Another brilliant stop on our whirlwind tour of Nova Scotia was the Inverary Resort, suggested to us by the Baddeck Tourist Information office as they had some special B&B deals available.(CN $ 85.00 B&B for two)

The Main reception is situated in the main Hotel and we were greeted warmly and given our room quickly.

We were given a Ground Floor Motel Room with 2 double beds (due to my mother having problems with stairs) in the Sky Lodge which is situated across the road from the main hotel complex which had plenty of parking spaces available.

The grounds were immaculate and although we were in the first lodge as you entered this side of the complex, we didn’t hear much in the way of traffic, which was good as there were several coach parties coming and going!

The room was everything we needed after several hours of driving including plenty of hot water and tea/coffee making facilities. Hairdryer, Ironing board and Iron was also available in the room along with complimentary bathroom products, extra pillows and blankets. Beds were clean and comfortable!

The bathroom was a little basic with a very small surround on the sink and no other shelves available, this meant that we could just about keep our tooth brushes and tooth paste in there and everything else "bathroom related" stayed out in the main room, but there was plenty of table and shelf space in there so this was not a problem!

Dinner was served in the Lakeside Restaurant which was the furthest building on the complex and which we drove down to, (we would have walked but it was freezing cold and raining hard). Upon arrival we were greeted by several very friendly members of staff who seated us quickly and provided menus and the specials of the day. We had the most fantastic view of the Bras d’Or Lakes and even saw a Bald Eagle fly up onto one of the trees lining the lake (we do love to Bird Watch).

Dinner was exceptional, the quality of the food and the range of the menu made me wish we were there for another few nights so I could try everything! I plumped for the freshly made fishcakes with a side salad and I was stuffed after eating them - the fishcakes were fantastic!

The hotel also offered free computer use in the main hotel and whilst taking advantage of this to send emails to various loved ones, we also enjoyed the huge roaring log fire that was situated in the entrance lounge area.

Breakfast was part of the deal and was provided in the main hotel restaurant, which consisted of Eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, and tea/coffee. If you wanted anything extra it was chargeable but we found it to be sufficient to keep us going for a few hours of walking and site seeing around the area.

I cant comment on the other buildings or the quality of the services provided but I can say that it is in a beautiful location, with fantastic views of the water, offering various water activities as well as golfing and other packages and the Food was fantastic!

The motel rooms could do with a little sprucing up but other than that we were really happy with our stay. Perhaps if we had paid more and were expecting more we would have been a little more disappointed.

Room Tip: Due to the size of the Complex, the reception provides you with a lovely Map that shows all the buil...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Dear iluv2travel72,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and very detailed review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us. Our special 'Rate of the Day' through our Visitor Center, offers great value for the last minute and/or undecided traveller. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of it. I hope your entire trip to Nova Scotia was a memorable one and look forward to seeing you again some time.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Our group visited Baddeck during the Celtic festival in mid-October (2011) and stayed at this resort. The resort occupies 12 acres on the shore of Lake Bras d'Or (originally called Lake La Brador by Portugese sailors in Columbus' days). It is a bucolic surrounding ideal for a peaceful visit. Most of us stayed in Culloden House, one of the several large buildings in the complex. We had a 2nd story room (there are no elevators in this building). Our room was average-sized, clean and neatly appointed. The windows were double-glazed and could be opened to let the sea-breaze in. The heating/air conditioning was easy to operate. The place was quiet (but, we had quiet neighbours). The grounds are beautiful, especially with the fall colours.
There is a dining room on the complex which can accomodate a few dozen people. There is also a pub that occasionally has entertainment (we didn't take advantage of it). The dining room was clean, the staff friendly and efficient. The food was good but some of the dishes were a little pricey. There is a special lobster restaurant nearby where you can have a lobster or another meal. This place was a bit spartan.
The Inverary Resort is ideally located as a base from which to explore Cape Breton Island and where one can have a quiet, relaxing holiday. We would come back, if only we lived closer.

Room Tip: Get a room that has neighbours on only one side.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Dear professor,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and wonderful review. I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope your entire trip was equally enjoyable. As you have pointed out, the fall is a great time to visit and certainly is a favorite time of the year for me.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

I first saw the Inverary Resort 16 years ago when I was staying at another establishment in Baddeck and told myself if I ever got back to the East Coast I would want to stay there as it looked beautiful. Was able to return in Sep of 2011 and stayed one night. The grounds are truly beautiful, very well kept, clean and spacious. Our room was clean and modern but rather sparsely decorated. The king sized bed was very cozy. However, the further into the room you walked, things started to change. The sink/mirror was outside the bathroom which is okay, however the lighting was very poor. Female readers will understand the importance of proper lighting. Unfortunately, there were no other mirrors in the room but plenty of wall space that could have accomodated another. The bathroom was very disappointing. For a resort, I expected big, fluffy towels but got small and rather hard towels. There was rust on the towel rack, rust on the heat register and worst of all, rust on the rubber stopper in the bathtub of all things! So much care and attention has been put into the outside appearance of this resort that I am at a loss as to how a few simple fixes in a bathroom can get overlooked. Certainly new towel racks and a rubber stopper can't be that expensive to replace? A bit of touch-up paint on the heat register would take seconds to fix. And new towels would be very welcome. We also tried to use the vending machine and it did not work. My husband reported it to the front desk and they had us go in and get our money back. Problem was, hours later, there was no "out of order" sign posted on the machine. After 16 years of waiting, it was disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear GLSDW,

Thank you for your recent visit and review! I am glad to hear that you felt the grounds were beautiful and well kept. I am also glad that you felt your room was clean and modern. I do, however apologize that your room lacked some 'attention to detail'. As you can appreciate, 'attention to detail' is an important part of our service delivery model here at the Inverary. I also apologize for your vending experience. Our vending machines are looked after by a third party and we do have a procedure in place for handling refunds, one of which involves placing a sign on the machine.

If I could please ask for you to reach out to me personally with your stay details I would greatly appreciate it. I would be happy to look at your room personally so we have the things you mentioned repaired for the next guest.

jamie@capebretonresorts.com

Reviewed 15 October 2011

I should start with the positive, the grounds and property are truly amazing. The staff are very helpful and are willing to help in every way.

My dissapointment is based on a number of reasons:
When I booked this weekend away I was doing it to take my spouse and her parents around the Cabot Trail. After reviewing many properties in Cape Breton and trying to book around one of the busiest times in Fall, I came across the Inverary Inn "RESORT".
While on the phone with the booking agent I clearly explained that my in laws have mobility issues, that was why we tried to seperate our driving on this trip to 5-6 hours per day.
The booking agent said o.k. the Inverary was located well to accomodate this.
I then again mentioned mobility issues, which is why we didn't book the 2 bedroom suite, because of 2 flights of stairs. So we opted to book two seperate rooms thinking that the in laws were being placed on ground level.
We also had told the booking agent that this trip was to celebrate my 7th year anniversary, and my in laws were celebrating their 34th Wedding anniversary. They made me believe that was noted and something special would be done.
I asked to have the nicest room on the property for me and my spouse. So upon arrival we were placed in room 416. Which is across the road, it is a second floor room. The worst part is this room has major potential. Very out dated, a Jaccuzi from the 80's im sure. and the decor was cheap and basic. The best part of the room was the View, it was amazing. However, after driving 5-6 hours and were looking forward to the luxury of a resort atmosphere, we landed there, laid on the bed, it was like sleeping on the floor. Not to mention running out of hot water to fill the tub. My dissapointment was beginning to get the better of me. When we booked the room we asked that they ensure a fridge and Microwave, this was to enjoy a family thanksgiving dinner we prepared to take on the road. We got there, no microwave, no table to dine at, which was supposed to be there upon arrival.
My in laws were in a second floor room, that felt like prison quarters. They were supposed to have no stairs.
The second night I went to the front desk and spoke to the same gentleman that checked us in(Jonathan). He was very helpful in getting us a different room. But I was shocked when he listened to my complaint about the "Suite" he had told me that was generally the Wedding Suite. I was like your kidding right? The bed was horrible, the decor dated, and the ambiance more like a cheap cottage.
I guess I have spent much much less, for far better. The term resort needs to have a better qualification. Had I seen more pictures of the rooms, and done my homework like I usually do, I probably would have stayed elsewhere.
Again Great staff, that want to ensure a great stay, however for 2 nights at the Inverary I could have rented some cottages in the area for a week or close to.
Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I have never been to a hotel/resort where I wanted a partial refund like I did there.
If you are willing to pay a premium price and be more comfortable sleeping on the floor like my spouse was, then this might be a good choice.
I wish I could be writing a much more favorable opinion, however we were all very dissapointed.
Lastly the staff deserve a pat on the back, they seemed to truly care..WE wouldn't consider booking there again.

Room Tip: In my opinion very basic and not worth the premium dollar....Anyone travelling there should do their...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2011

Dear Trevor G,

I would like to thank you for your recent visit and review. I apologize that your stay fell short of your expectation. I also appreciate that your review offered some 'positives' in addition to the 'not so' positive. Room 416, as was communicated to you, is one of our honeymoon suites. This room has been recently renovated, including a new bed; therefore, I am deeply concerned about your 'first' impression of it.

I also apologize about your room not having a microwave and dining room table. Clearly we dropped the ball with the table, as it was noted as a guest request on your reservation file. Additionally, I apologize for you running out of hot water. Please also pass along my apologies to your in-laws, as there was no note made for a ground floor room, or them having 'mobility issues'. With that, I certainly feel bad that they felt some discomfort being on the second floor and in a room that was not comfortable for them.

Lastly, I apologize for not recognizing your special anniversaries. As you can see from other reviews this is certainly not the norm for us, as we take pride in 'extra recognition'.

If you would like to discuss your visit with me further, I would be happy to do so.

All the best,

jamie@capebretonresorts.com

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Beautiful grounds including two restaurants, a gym and pool, conference centre, several buildings housing guests and a main lodge. The view of the lake was beautiful and we dined at the Lakeside for a wonderful dinner, and ate breakfast at Flora's. We stayed in the main lodge, and our only complaint has to do with our room (116), our view was of the road and parking lot. We couldn't open our windows because of the noise from the parking lot and pub, and throughout the night we could hear a neighbour snoring. The queen sized bed was very comfy, and I think the hotel was very nice so if you avoid Room 116, it would have been a perfect stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
JamieBolduc01, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2011

Dear swim_bunn,

Thank you for your recent visit and review. I am glad to hear that most of your stay was perfect and apologize that you felt the location of your room was not suitable for you. We certainly would of been happy to move you, if requested.

All the best and have a fantastic 'short' week!

Jamie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
Cabot Trail Motel
Cabot Trail Motel
#4 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!