“Not worth the price you pay. Looks a lot nicer in picture.”
Review of Inverary Resort

Inverary Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Not worth the price you pay. Looks a lot nicer in picture.”
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Our family of four stayed at the Inverary, and we were expecting much more for the price we paid. We hardly spent any time in the room because we were off on day trips, but when we did, it was not the pleasurable space for which we had hoped.

Our room was located in the same building as the pool and exercise room. This was not a problem, but the rooms in this building seem very outdated and mechanically not up to the standard one would expect for the price we paid. It is loud when your neighbours shower or use the water, and you can hear doors opening and closing in the halls.
There are many other buildings, and I would suggest that you might want to enquirer about the rooms in the newer buildings.

My main problem was that the maid(s) who cleaned our rooms were not attentive to detail. Even though we were a family of four (clear to them based on the soiled towels and the state of the room) we had to call down to the desk every day because they did not leave enough towels for us. When we called, they started asking questions and were reluctant to give us more towels. I don't know why this was so On other days, they did not leave us clean drinking glasses and we had to call them back again. They didn't wipe surfaces, and I am not sure that they vacuumed.
The second problem was that the room was small and there was only one chest of drawers. Only two of us could unpack, so we had to keep one suite case on a rack and the fourth on the floor, which is not what you want at a "resort." This was very surprising to us because when you think "family resort" you think that you can at least unpack your things to stay a few days. They have wide screen TVs, but since they do not have HD signals, it just takes up space which could other wise be used. They do have a fridge which we really appreciated.

The pool was small, but OK, but the hot tub switch was not operating properly and would only stay on for two minutes at a time. The shower in the pool area worked very poorly because the shower head needed replacing. These mechanical things should be checked and attended to every day.

In our bathroom the shower handles were wonky, and the shower head was old. This must have been noticeable to the staff who clean the bathroom daily. The shower curtain was old fashioned and we had a flood on the bathroom floor and carpet outside the bathroom on a few occasions. The toilet flapper leaked from time to time as well and woke us up in the night. Once again...attention to detail.

For the most part, the staff was friendly, and we did have a nice meal at their pub. Due to weather we did not make use of the beach activities they offer for a fee, but this part of the resort seemed organized and the staff seemed friendly. We did not try their dining room or breakfast restaurants, but they looked nice.

Over-all, you might find a motel for a cheaper which provides a nicer room, and with staff who pay more attention to their facility.

Room Tip: Make sure you get the newest rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank OnTheRoadFromTO
caper240657, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
thank you for your comments with regards to your visit to the Inverary. We have many different styles of rooms at the Inverary and try our best to ensure that our guests are comfortably settled upon arrival at the Resort. We are finding that our guests are extending their stay and therefore they would want to get totally unpacked while they visit. I will certainly be reviewing the details that you allude to as they are very important to be in order for every guest.
You would have enjoyed our recreation area, the boats, the crab races and all is always popular for our families to enjoy.
Thanks again for your comments.
Scott MacAulay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here (along with several friends in other rooms) for a wedding. Like the title says, it was a nice place, but there is definitely room for improvement.
First off, check in went relatively well. We were there early, probably around noon, and check in time wasn't until 3:00pm, but they had us fill out what we needed to, and asked us to come back around 3:00 to get our key. When we went back at 3:00, the girl helping us was in training, and had a few difficulties, but once she asked someone for help, we got our keys and were on our way. We had a room in the Main Building with a King Bed, and it was probably the largest and nicest of any of the rooms we saw. Our friends were all in other buildings, and their rooms reminded me very much of motel rooms, in size, layout and feel.
Before we had checked in, we decided we wanted to get some food, but apparently none of the on-site restaurants serve lunch. So we went out into Baddeck to find a place. Not a big deal, but a bit inconvenient if you just want something quick.
After lunch and check-in, we all decided that we wanted to hit the pool and gym. The 'fitness centre' consists of a treadmill, eliptical, old style stationary-bike and some dumbells, several of which didn't have a matching pair. The room is also carpeted, and after doing some ground excercises, our clothes were green in several spots. This carpet either needs to be heavilly shampooed, or removed and replaced with something easier to clean.
The pool isn't exactly large, and the deep end only gets to about 5'6", but it was more than acceptable for our use. The one thing I found a bit odd is that the transition from shallow end to deep end is very sudden. I wasn't paying attention and was walking in the shallow end, then suddenly fell about a foot because I had hit the deep end with no warning. Not a big deal for anyone who can swim, but had my wife (who is a bit nervous in the water) done this, it would have been a problem.
We had planned to check out the on-site pub (Thistledown Pub) on the first night, but they had stopped serving food at 9:00pm, and we don't drink, so there was no point for us to go. Sadly, we never made it in, since the wedding reception was the next night.
The bed that we had was amazing, comparable to the Westin Heavenly beds that I love so much. The pillows were a bit harder than I would have liked, but they weren't the worst I've ever had.
The shower was probably the thing that bugged me the most about the room. First off, it had poor water pressure, but I can forgive that, since most hotels do. What I couldn't forgive was that the shower would turn itself off at random. Now, I'm sure this is some kind of water saving feature, but I feel that it's poorly designed. It happened to my wife right near the end of her shower and it happened to me right at the beginning my shower. The next day, it happened to my wife twice during her shower, then it didn't happen to me at all. Maybe we should have brought it up, maybe there was actually something wrong, but either way, it was an annoyance.
Finally, the one meal that we had at the hotel was breakfast. It was a buffet, and consisted of a few cereal choices, bacon, scrambled eggs, somewhat burnt pancakes, and some fruit. Not bad, but I felt $14.99 was a bit expensive for what was offered.
If I were ever in Baddeck again, I'd likely try another place, unless I can get a better deal on a room here. But, if this were the only place available, I wouldn't hesitate to book it.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Main Building seem to be nicer than those in other buildings.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zife
caper240657, General Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Thanks very much for commenting on your visit to the Inverary. We appreciate hearing what people would like to see changed at the Resort and as well like that you brought to our attention the things that you like as well. We have been getting great comments on our bedsactivities on the grounds and it is too bad that you didn't get to enjoy our Lakeside Restaurant or Thistledown Pub as we have been getting great comments on them. We would love to have you come back to enjoy our Resort again and next time take 3 to 4 days. Many thanks Scott
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed overnight at this lakeside resort in main building. Spacious updated room with pillow top mattress. Nice breakfast from menu although pricey and the high wheeler cafe bakery in town is better. Fresh baked scone.
Excellent resort rentals. $10 per day per person or $10 per hr. friendly helpful gentleman at adventure center. We kayaked out and around island in about an hour.
Resort is nicely landscaped. Many inns and restaurants to choose from. Wish we had made this our base for touring island

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank NatureEnthusiast7
Thanks very much for commenting on your your stay at the Inverary. It is a wonderful place and indeed you were able to take advantage off our Lakeside Location and the activities that we offer here at the Inverary. We find that as you suggest, people are more then ever wanting to make the Resort their base while here on Cape Breton and also to enjoy our facilities as well. We look forward to having you visit us again. Many Thanks Scott
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We would of never known about this place or the town of Baddeck if we didn't stop at the visitors information. Florence was such a help in recommending this beautiful cove area. We loved the resort property . Stayed in "L" Argyle lodge Clean and well kept(bathroom could be updated) The bed was amazing! Walked to the pub,and lakeside resturant There was a boardwalk where you could watch sail boats, craps and a light house (Kids would love it ). Ate yummy fish and pototoes. Evening time they have a marshmellow roast. Breakfast was amazing!! In the Main lodge there is an huge dinning area with a hot buffet of eggs, sausage,yogurt,cearl,etc..On china plates !! We drove 5mins(could of rented kayaks or rode bikes) to a small walk on ferry that took us over to the Kidston Island lighthouse. There is a change room there and picinic tables and lifeguards for swimming. Beautiful!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for commenting on Baddeck and our Resort. We are very proud of both of them and indeed you took the time to enjoy all of what we have here. Baddeck centrally located on Cape Breton Island along with having lots to do right here, is ideal to use as a base to tour the entire area. There is hiking, boating, touring, swimming etc. It is nice to see people really take the time to enjoy the area. Thanks Scott
Waterloo, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The Inverary Resort is a very well maintained older property and my 5 night stay was quite pleasant. I did not use any 'resort' elements of the property but I did eat my breakfast (which was included) in the main building's dining area and a couple of evening meals in the "Thistledown Pub" in the main building's lower level. The food was good and the prices reasonable but the small pub had live entertainment every night beginning at 9:00 PM which made conversation difficult past that point (although the performers I heard were excellent).

The staff was helpful and friendly. The grounds and view are charming and the guest rooms that I visited in the larger buildings were all modern and up to date, however, one of our group stayed in a "cottage" which was spacious and included a porch, kitchen and living room but needed some remodeling and did not appear to have air conditioning. Another item to mention would be that the available electrical outlets in the rooms are few so, if you travel with a lot of items that need recharging, be prepared to unplug some lights and/or the TV. The only other issue in my room was extremely sensitive water temperature in the shower-tub. Both my roommate and I had more than one experience of suddenly having 'all hot' water coming out of the shower-head. With all that said, I don't want to give a negative impression because that was certainly not the case. The beds were comfortable and, as I stated, the overall experience quite pleasant.

I look forward to return to beautiful Baddeck, Nova Scotia and will certainly stay at the Inverary Resort again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kiteology
thanks for your comments on your visit to the Inverary Resort. We are always pleased when people have a positive experience at the Resort and that they give themselves the time to enjoy the facilities and people at the Resort. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Sincerely Scott MacAulay
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I loved everything about this place...the atmoshphere, the staff, the resort. I came for a few days in June (20 - 23) to figure out logisitcs for a business meeting in September, and am very much looking forward to returning with my company.

The beds were extremely comfortable, the food tasty (try the strawberry rhubarb ice cream at the Lakeside Restaurant), and working with Audrey to coordinate a puzzle of meetings and events has been (and continues to be) a dream! From the resort owner to management and staff, everyone here was *extremely* pleasant and accomodating.

I couldn't rank the spa as I didn't have time to experience it, but it did look lovely.

(Make a point of going to the pub - especially if Tracy's playing. He's got a super playlist and puts a great sound of his own to everything he does - made me like a lot of his versions even more than the originals!)

The only negative thing I have to say is that I didn't get to stay long enough :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank interpretive_option
We really enjoyed having you and your sister staying with us as well. You would have loved staying on through July as we have had a wonderful summer. Audrey has been a wonderful part of our team here at the Inverary and honestly enjoys working with all of our guests and brides to make sure that they have a perfect visit here at Inverary. We will see you in September. Thanks Scott
Cheshire. UK
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We pre-booked 2 nights here and were allocated a ground floor room in the main block. The accommodation seemed Ok at first. It had 2 large beds and all the usual trimmings - hospitality tray, bathroom toiletries etc. It wasn't until the first evening when we wanted to sit and read, when we realised that 2 or the 3 lights in the room weren't working. The next morning we went to make a cup of coffee only to find the previous guest's used coffee bag still sitting in the coffee machine. Yuk! We left a note about these issues for the housekeeper and went off for the day. That evening we returned to find the coffee pot had been emptied and cleaned but the lights still not working. I rang reception who couldn't have been less interested, saying that all the maintenance personnel had gone home so nothing could be done about the lighting until the following day (not much use to us as we'd have checked out by then!)
Before leaving on our last day, we checked the room thoroughly to make sure we hadn't left anything and under the bed we discovered a previous guest's dirty coffee cup!
Maybe we were just unlucky but overall this was a bit of a disappointment.

Room Tip: Higher floors in the main block will probably be quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marianjones
Thank you for bringing these items to my attention. There is no question that these little things need to be dealt with and with some additional training in our Reception and Housekeeping I am sure we have made the needed adjustments. I hope you enjoyed the remainder of your trip. Sincerely Scott MacAulay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
#4 of 7 in Baddeck
Trailsman Motel
Trailsman Motel
#6 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!