“Beautiful wedding spot”
Review of Inverary Resort

Inverary Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We just experienced a three night stay at Inverary Resort to attend our best friend's wedding. A beautiful spot right on the water for the nuptials and the staff did everything in their power to ensure the bride and groom and a memorable and beautiful wedding.

The main reception area was incredible but very disappointing with all the marketing posters and ads. It really took away from the real historic beauty of the place and all the antiques. The dining room was bright and beautiful with large windows all around. The food was incredible and staff wonderful. The pub was very quaint with live music.

The grounds were OK. More focus should be put on the lawn and garden maintenance. The rentals were wonderful and a great price. The nightly campfire by the dock was the best thing...after the wedding. We'd head down later when all the kids were done with their treats to enjoy nice conversation with friends. The staff ensured there was firewood piled near by for us to keep the fire going.

The room is another story. We stayed in a cabin that is in desperate need of renovations. The front step leading up to the main door is broken which caused us to trip up the stairs several times. The front porch was so adorable but was spoiled by the rotting wicker furniture and the fact that only one window opened.....the other was screwed shut. The nice breeze that could have been let into the main cabin was blocked by large glass windows that didn't open so for us to enjoy the fresh night air we had to keep the main door wide open. The cabin could have use bigger windows for sure!!! The windows are very small and were stuck shut. In fact, my fingers were slammed in one window was I was trying to open it. Be careful!!!

The back porch was lovely and one of my favourite spots in the cabin. Nice and private and shade or sun depending on what you wanted.

The kitchen.....well it's seen better days for sure. The linoleum floor is coming up along the edges, the counter top is damaged and stained, the taps dripped, and the dishes were all chipped. The appliances worked but the fridge was dirty.

The main sitting area was nice and spacious but the run needs to be replaced. It smelt musty and felt damp on the feet. Doesn't cost much to replace with some laminate. The one chair was ripped and stained.

The bedroom was very nice except for the very small windows. The bed was very comfortable.

The bathroom....the worst part of the cabin. There was a hole in the floor in front of the toilet. The toilet kept acting up. The tub needs to be replaced or at least scoured really good. It's also VERY slippery so caution to those with kids.

It was hard to rate this one with so many black and white differences. The cabin would be a two while the event would be a five plus. I'll rate it a four because the reason we were there.....the wedding.....it was perfect!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room. Confirm proximity to waterfront.
2  Thank Kim N
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Thank you for your detailed review dncrmom. We are very pleased you enjoyed the wedding you attended and we very much appreciate your feedback on the cabin. We will be using your observations and suggestions for improvements to our accommodations this fall and winter. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We were very disappointed with our stay here. The website is very misleading, and the rooms are very overpriced for what you get. stay somewhere else in baddeck. You can get much better for less money. The rooms were so old and run down, bathroom wasn't cleaned, air conditioner was rusted completely out, there was no help lugging our bags up the wet and treacherous outdoor steps to the second floor where our room was located. It seems the owners gave up on this place. Even the details were terrible. Old crusty plugs in the sinks, ripped screens to let in the Mosquitos, cracked plastic ice bucket. Really embarrassing for what was once a lovely place to stay.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Amy B

Thank you Amy B for your review. We are very sorry to see you were not satisfied with your stay and we are grateful you brought these issues to our attention. I am sure you will be pleased to hear that we will be updating the room you stayed in in the Argyle building, as well as others near it, to address the issues you experienced. Our team certainly hasn't given up on Inverary, and we will strive to make it, once again, your favorite place to stay in Baddeck.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We were a bit wary of staying in a resort town at peak season but thought "The hotel is a resort... How bad can it be?" The answer was "about as we feared." It is a multi-building property in a drop-dead gorgeous location. While the staff were all very helpful, the room we had--which was probably representative of the rest--was tired, very tired. It looked like it hadn't seen a remodeling since the 1970's and the bathroom had the all-too-typical mold around the tub. While we are not tennis players, we couldn't help noticing that the asphalt tennis courts were completely unplayable thanks to the numerous humps and eruptions in the playing surface. The only good news was the restaurant, which was first class. If the rest of the property had equaled the restaurant, this would have been a much different review!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roger D
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Thank you for your review Roger D. and I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay with us. We certainly appreciate any and all feedback from our guests and we will use your comments to help improve the products we offer.
I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant - which is indeed first class! - and also our lovely grounds. I also hope you had an opportunity to rent a kayak from our Adventure Center, enjoy our nightly bonfire with S'mores, or live local entertainment in the Pub!
Thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I was happy with the evening bonfire and entertainment in the Pub. Other than that, I would not recommend this money trap to anyone, way too expensive and really lacks anything worthy of calling itself a Resort unfortunately!

I was checked in promptly at 3:15 pm, check in time is 3 so the girl on the desk said oh yeah it's checkin time again already, like I surprised her or something. So she called housekeeping to see if my room would be ready...yes! yes! of course the girl told her on the walkie talkie, so she sent me down to my room. I knew it wasn't a good sign when I was pulling up to the Argyle building and two maids were smoking on the step and the room I was going into still had the vacuum in front of it and the door still wide open. I approached the room attendant and asked how much longer? she thought the room would take to be ready...she said "well however long it takes me to smoke this cigarette and finish it, to which I with blood boiling had to walk away", I sat in my very hot car waiting for her to finish of which I think she deliberatly took her sweet old time. Finally, at 420 pm, an hour later she disappeared didn't even come over and say... Sir your room is ready now or apologize for taking so long. I get in the room and it is nothing special, very musky smelling and when I took out the ice bucket to go get ice, I probably blew an inch of dust off the cover and so I washed it out myself before using it. The hot tub advertised was out of order for quite some time. There are bell staff wizzing around at all hours in golf carts going 50mph even though it is posted as a 10 mph speed limit and I was awakened first thing in the morning as they were loading busses and transporting tour bus patrons. I was very disappointed and would not recommend you stay here.
First and LAST time at Inverary Resort!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Kyle P
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience with us Kyle P. I can assure you that this is not what that the vast majority of our guests experience when they join us at Inverary. This will be followed up on immediately and I would very much like to discuss this with you further. Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Matt MacAulay
Inverary Resort

Reviewed 15 July 2013

We were traveling with friends and were all looking forward to our stay at the Inverary Resort.in Baddeck. This was our most expensive booking for our 2 week vacation and we had high hopes. Check in was pleasant and efficient but it all went down hill from there. The room was spacious but shabby. The chesterfeild had a huge stain on it and we didn't even want to use it. The carpet was old and grungie and the bathroom fixtures were old, missing parts, rusty. Yuck. Travelling with a group I did not want to kick up a fuss so we just put up with it. We went to the almost empty dining room for dinner. We should have realized, something must be up when a resort the size of the Inverary has only 1 table seated in their dining room at 6:30 in the evening. We had been driving all day and just wanted to enjoy where we were and not have to drive into town for dinner, so were glad to be seated quickly. The sommelier was good about recommending a local wine to us that we all enjoyed. The server was new and not very professional, but was very pleasant and did her best. The salad appetizers were fine. The mains, not so much. 2 of us had the lobster ravioli. It was mostly cheese was some lobster colouring. No lobster taste at all and over powered with red peppers. That evening we had asked about breakfast and were told it was very good and it was menu service.
The next morning, to our dismay, there was no menu - only buffet because they had a bus group staying with them. What kind of resort cannot efficiently handle a bus load of people for breakfast and not offer menu service to their other guests? The coffee was hot but watery. The buffet was $12 or $14, I can't remember, but it was awful. We could not get toast, bacon was under cooked, everything was cold, the waffles were tasteless bricks. Couldn't wait to get out of there. I completed the comment card left in the hotel room in great detail about all of my complaints and disappointments. That was 2 weeks ago and I have yet to hear from anyone from the resort.
Too bad. We were planning an extended return visit, but not now.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ATRT
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you for your review ATRT. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your experience with us. As I am sure you are aware, we have many different rooms on our property and it certainly would not be upsetting to show you some other options if you are dissatisfied with your room.
I am also surprised to hear about your dinner and breakfast, as these are not typical comments for our restaurants. I would be pleased to discuss your experience further, if you so choose. Thank you again for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Matt MacAulay
Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We spent the 4th thru 7th of July at this lovely resort.My husband and I (Mother of the Bride) opted to have a king cottage.It was lovely and clean,(although a bit pricey ,we were more than happy with the room) .We had breakfast on site two mornings and one dinner in the pub...the food and service was excellent !My daughter had her wedding reception in the MacAulay Room. Her planner Jill and event co-ordinator Audrey made her day absolutely amazing and very relaxing.No request left unattended. Water /sandwiches,champagne glasses and fruit was delivered to the bridal suite as requested. The MacAulay room was decorated beautifully .We made up gift bags for our guests and they were all delivered by staff in a timely manner .All last minute changes were handled with ease.The food and beverage service for the reception was excellent . Thanks so much to all the staff at The Inverary Inn for making what could have been a very stressful time so relaxing and pleasant! Happy memories were made here!!

1  Thank ruth c

Congratulations to you, your daughter and new son-in-law! It is always exciting to see couples exchange their vows with us! We are truly honoured to serve as hosts for this special day and are so glad you enjoyed your experience! We will see you again on your next trip to Cape Breton!

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Great place for family and to relax. Kids love the pool and there are lots of activities. Service was wonderful. We were given a great room with two beds and a pull out sofa. The staff were always friendly and helpful, from housekeeping, to servers we received consistent friendly and helpful service. We especially appreciated Harry, who managed the bonfire on the three nights we were there. Our three year old followed him around as he showed her the crabs, brought her games and showed great patience and graciousness. He made her trip to Cape Breton memorable.

The resort could invest in some updates to the decor and newer TVs, but overall found it great value.

1  Thank sammitravelsalot
Matthew M, Manager at Inverary Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you for your review, sammitravelsalot! We are very glad you and your family enjoyed your getaway at Inverary! Harry will be very pleased to hear you enjoyed his company so much and we will be sure to save a s'more or two for your next visit with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
Trailsman Motel
#6 of 7 in Baddeck
Auberge Gisele's Country Inn
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa

Been to Inverary Resort? Share your experiences!