“no room after reservation”
Review of Lynwood Inn

Lynwood Inn
Ranked #9 of 17 Baddeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2013

we stopped here to check it out as we were going to stay the following week and wanted to see what the accomodations offered. While the lady at the front desk had no problem giving us a couple of keys to check out the rooms and offer any info she could. They seemed cleaned an modern, the two rooms we looked into. We booked two rooms for the following week, with credit cards, no problem. Later on I checked my cell phone and there was a really long voice mail from the same person who took my reservation saying she didnt have the rooms available after all. After we had left the area and were happy we found a place, Baddeck is a hard spot to find accomodations.....I called back and another person answered who seemed preoccupied and I could hear her talking to another pserosn who must have been paying their bill or something, while I was trying to explain to her what was going on and find if we could have at least one room. I just hung up, it was obvious it didnt matter to her I had no room.

Room Tip: there are a few Inns and Lodges in the area. Try High Street Inn or Green Hihghlander Lodge.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We can't speak highly enough about our stay at Lynwood Inn. Traveling with friends and arriving in Nova Scotia from PEI in the morning we expected a quiet drive to Baddeck, however a situation arose where we had to go to the Annapolis Valley for a few hours, delaying our arrival at the Lynwood Inn. We eventually arrived at 10:28pm, to a very friendly person who booked us in and suggested where we could park conveniently to unpack the car close to our rooms. Our rooms were very clean and well appointed. The bathrooms were large and the view from the rooms were attractive. Our stay was very pleasant. Our friends had breakfast in the hotel and found it to be overpriced.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RapBerry_NSWl
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Well, where do you start... We spent a night at the Inn and I must say I am happy that is all we stayed.The evening before we were to arrive in Baddeck, my wife received a phone call saying that they would like to change our room from the one that we had booked to accommodate another client who would be staying 2 nights (we were only staying one) and who really wanted a room with a jacuzzi (whirlpool) tub. The person on the other end stated that the would"look after" us for the inconvenience. So, Upon arriving we were looked after. We were told that they would be saving us $10 dollars on the room... WOW, what a good deal (NOT) (Now i DIDN'T complain at the time but I did expect they would have offered a breakfast on them or something to make up for us helping them out that wouldn't cost them much but would show some value to us the customer). I guess we should have asked what being looked after meant cause we both would have enjoyed a soak in a jacuzzi tub and giving it up for a $10 savings wasn't worth it. The room was decent, not amazing but decent. It was clean and had a nice view, but that's about it. We went for breakfast the next day and when paying the bill with my debit card, I was given an option of tipping I think it was 20%, 25%, or 30% no option of no tip as I was leaving one already in cash on the table.. Service was decent at best but not good, and being a person who usually tips at least 20% It just put me out that a minimum 20% was felt to be deserved, and I think that most people just pay it so the service suffers cause they expect they are going to get a minimum 20% no matter what. The woman at the front was extremely professional and polite but it was almost robotic almost to a fault she seemed to have absolutely ZERO personality. At checkout my wife was also presented with the tipping feature as if to say it was mandatory, needless to say she was not impressed by this tactic of solicitation of tips either. All in all I cannot rate it terrible cause the view was decent, and I had a decent sleep but everything else was very poor and left a bad taste in my mouth. This was the worst place we stayed during our visit to the beautiful province of Nova Scotia. While we will definitely be back this hotel will not be on the list and shouldn't be on your either.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!!! there are many places more friendly, inviting, and welcoming that the Lynwoo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank walleyed99
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Been all over Nova Scotia for a month and stayed in some wonderful lodging. This one really did not fit in with the rest. Room clean but lacking in the simple basics. For the high price there was no pen or paper or even friendly front check in staff. So sorry we booked more than one night. You win some and there are the losers. Pass this one up.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sierranocalifornia
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed at the Lynwood Inn from July 31 to August 2,2013.We travelled from Mabou,Nova Scotia to Baddeck and arrived at the Inn about 8:00pm.We asked receptionist at the check in area if the dining room was open and how late it would be open. We were told that the kitchen usually closed at about 8:00 pm but if there were people there to eat the chef would sometimes choose to keep the kitchen open.After taking our luggage up to the 3rd floor we went back down about 9:30 and were told that we could order dinner by the receptionist.We were greeted by a extremely unpleasant hostess(not sure what else to call her).She placed table settings and menus on our table with quite a bit of force and never spoke to us.The waitress did her best to be pleasant but we decided that the staff must have worked a very long day because of their dispositions.
We enjoyed 2 delicious breakfasts and 2 delicious dinners after our initial meeting with the dining staff the rest of our meals were quite pleasant
The biggest surprise came at the check out-I too was prompted through the credit card process to consider tipping the housekeeping staff at rates that were quite upsetting-$95.00 to$150.00 for 2 days of accommodation. I opted out of the automatic tip selection and told the receptionist that if I wanted to leave a housekeeping tip that I would leave it in the room-I didn't because I felt that the Inn was trying to take advantage of their paying guests and that housekeeping wages should be paid by the owners of the Inn-I would not recommend the Inn as a result of this practice and if I choose to go back to Baddeck-which we loved.I would book other accomadations

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Very very clean but the second most uncomfortable bed I have experienced in my lifetime. My back hurt so much that I could not sleep. Walls were very thin. I heard everything in next room. Very large windows. Nice peek of view of pretty lake. Didn't try restaurant but understand cooking good this summer. Good in town location - close to everything but didn't hear street noise- just room next door

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank dctraveler6010
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I guess there is another section of the inn, but our tour group stayed in a 2 or 3 story (no elevator) addition next to the main building. The room had a combination of antique furniture and modern, flat screen tv, jetted tub, table and chairs. Very clean. No coffee pot. Bed was comfy. No idea of price or tipping. Good location to walk downtown (although not a lot that I saw worth going into).

Room Tip: Some rooms were in a lower level, more like a basement, still had steps to go down.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends