“The place to stay while in Baddeck”

Telegraph House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Baddeck
Toronto, Canada
“The place to stay while in Baddeck”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The hotel itself was nice. We were given a separate cabin with 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. It also had a living room and eat-in kitchen. The cabin was dotted with a nice patio at the front. Good size for a family.
The location was perfect, right in the center of the city, close to the information center, restaurants and most attractions. The staff at the front desk was really helpful with information. They didn’t have any board games available except a set of cards so don’t forget yours like us, lol
I got to sleep in the bedroom with the queen size bed (my 2 friends took the other bedroom with 2 single beds). I was super thrilled about it until I was awaked during the night by something crawling all over my face. After brushing my face with my hand didn’t work I jerked out of the bed, turned on the light and….there was a HUGE black spider exactly where I was lying down!!! Hugh! Killed it and run to the living room where I established quarter for the reminder of the night shaking like a 5yrs old. And it was my turn driving all the way the Cabot Trail to Pleasant Bay the next day.
However, I have to say the adventure with the spider didn’t take anything away from how I felt about the hotel. Next time I’ll take a room not a cabin.
The hotel offered breakfast, lunch and dinner. We looked at the menu and the options were yummy. However, we didn’t eat there but outside while visiting the town.
I’ll definitely come back if I were to visit Baddeck again.

Room Tip: Stay away fom the cabin!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Mission, Canada
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We spent 3 nights here while exploring Fort Louisbourg and the Cabot Trail. The location is perfect as a home base, and there is the Alexander Graham Bell museum (well worth a visit) and lots of places to eat all within a 5 minute walk. An Inn rather than a B&B, it consists of the main house and a small motel. We had booked a room in the house but when we arrived, it was not busy, so they offered us a room in the motel as an option. After seeing the 2nd floor room in the house (very small) we elected to take the motel room - simple but much larger. This is not a fancy place to stay but it is clean & comfortable and does offer good bang for the buck.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Freeland, MI
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The hotel was charming and furnished with an elegant sitting room. Our rooms were clean and also charming. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Only negatives: the food was overpriced - we went to nearby restaurants. Also, the shower in my room was not working properly, had obviously been broken, and was not fixed while I was there. A real PLUS was that this hotel is in the middle of a lovely, friendly town full of little shops. I walked alone toward dusk and was not worried about my safety. Neighbors out chatting.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Virginia
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Telegraph House has rooms both in the main building, above the restaurant, lobby and office on the first floor, and motel type drive-up rooms. We stayed in the latter. Nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable for the two nights we spent there. And a very convenient location in town just south of the Alexander Graham Bell Museum (two or three minutes drive) and across the street from the Highwheeler Cafe where we had excellent breakfasts. I've stayed at the Telegraph House many times over the years and always enjoyed their excellent dinners. For anyone else in the same situation I should note that the kitchen and menu have completely changed and after looking at the menu we decided to eat elsewhere. I really miss the dinners I'd been used to.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 6 September 2013

A new chef and menu have brought fine dining to Baddeck. He likes to experiment which makes for interesting variations but also requires ordering carefully as some of the flavor mixes are unusual. The strip steak and the Margaree trout are superb and salads are wonderful and fresh. He cooks with local produce which is added benefit. We liked it so much we returned multiple times with family & friends. Make a reservation during peak season.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Martin M
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, arrived to find out this was a Motel not a B & B. The room was on the 2nd floor, room 5, was a small room with a double bed and 1 chair. This is an old building and when in the room you could hear every sound around, from showers and toilets flushing.
On the up side, the Motel had a Dining Room which the food was a good standard.
I got the impression the Motel was catering for the Dining side of life rather than the guests.
Overall the stay was acceptable, but I would choose some where else if I was in the same area again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike S
Oregon
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed in the motel unit behind the main lodge. I appreciated being able to park close to the room. The room was very clean and tastefully decorated, but there was no phone, frig, microwave, or coffee.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baddeck
Silver Dart Lodge
#8 of 17 in Baddeck
Trailsman Motel
Trailsman Motel
#6 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Telegraph House Hotel? Share your experiences!