“Beautiful place-the meals were wonderful, the staff were the best”

Auberge Gisele's Country Inn
Ranked #6 of 17 Baddeck B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2007

If you are interested in a holiday on Cape Breton Island with easy access to the Cabot Trail at reasonable prices with great food, great staff and a perfect location then Auberge Gisele's Inn is the place. I have visited Hawaii, Mexico, Vegas etc and have never enjoyed a holiday more. My thanks to the owners and staff at Gisele's Inn for providing the perfect setting from which to explore the Cabot Trail.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 June 2007

I have stayed at Gisele's several times over the last ten years. I love staying there. The owners and staff always treat me like family and go above and beyond the call of duty. They really are an excellent example of Cape Breton hospitality.

The chef with his staff have amazing creations that are served to piping hot by one of their friendly staff members. I love that you are eating the freshest of ingredients and uses the herbs that are grown on property.

The grounds alone will leave you breathless with all the different flowers. It is so refreshing to see such pride in a property such as here. The owners, Mr and Mrs. H. Seivers, are very hands on and it shows.

The guest rooms are a dream. The decor will leave you feeling at ease the moment you walk through the door.

Looking forward to my next stay.

Charlene MacKinnon

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2006

My husband booked this room, as we were making a trip all around Nova Scotia. We only stayed here one night, thank goodness. As we were doing a driving tour on our own, we ran into a few out of the way stops that kept us from getting there early, but it was only 6:30 when we checked in - the 'great-grandmother' at the counter made us feel like she had been 'waiting up' for us. Not very friendly, and then came the rules, YES MA'ME!! We had a room on th 2nd floor, and it looked like I was going to be staying in my grandmother's bedroom. It also 'smelled' like my grandmother's house as well (cut back on the potporrie, please!). We asked for a king bed, they don't have them, so we got a queen, sort of small, but it was comfy. The a/c was a bit noisy as well. It was clean though. Bathroom lights took a few minutes to get bright, and the tub was the narrowest tub I have ever seen!! Breakfast was not included in this stay but we decided to stay at the inn for breakfast as we just wanted to 'get going', that and we had to be out by the 10 am checkout. There was a 'set' menu, but the service was lightening fast. I had blueberry pancakes, not what you'd think, it was plain pancakes smothered in about 2 cups of blueberry sauce, so very sweet, but very good. Bacon was 'too perfect' - so we guessed it was the microwavable kind. The coffee was hot!! I think my husband and I were the youngest couple in the restaurant (we are in our late 30's). I felt like I was staying at a home for the aged. Breakfast was a bit expensive, $20 plus tip, but we were in and out in less than 1/2 hour.

I would have chosen to stay elsewhere in Baddeck, there were many other inns and such that looked much nicer, but the grounds here reminded me of something from the deep south.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank hilowe
Reviewed 19 August 2006

We stayed two nights at Gisele's in August 2006. The room was clean and exactly what you see on the hotel's website. We were not disappointed, but could have found more reasonable accomodations for about 50 bucks less per night.

The grounds are lovely, but it is not on the water -- it is across the street with no access to the water. The hotel seems to cater to older travelers and tours.

I probably would not stay here again but do not regret it -- and yes, the front desk staff was not chatty. Too bad since so many in Nova Scotia are so nice.

The hotel is all nonsmoking, but the hotel workers were all smoking on the premises.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CouplaTravelers
Reviewed 9 August 2006

This Inn is very well decorated. It shows exactly like a B & B except it's not! Certain parts of the Inn were in great shape. The lobby and restaurant were very fancy as was our room. But like with all things...you pay for the look. It was very exspensive compared to some of the other motels in town and other than the look, it was nothing special. The hotel clerks at both check in and out were not very talkative or friendly. There was not a lot of parking spaces and they were very tight. The window in our room would not close so we could hear the noises outside. We were going to ask to switch rooms but when we went outside and looked up, we noticed that most of the rooms had the same problem. They are a crank style window and it looked like most of the were broken. This was the only place we stayed in Nova Scotia that had a 12 inch TV. I didn't think they even made those anymore. In my opinion, this Inn was way over priced and I would not recommend it.

4  Thank wolfden
Reviewed 11 October 2005

I have spent many wonderful summers in Baddeck and was looking forward to a lovely fall weekend in a comfortable, charming Inn. Sadly the accomodations were expensive but awful and the staff was unfriendly. Although the check in time is 4:00pm the check out time is 10:00 am so we asked for a late check out as my husband was playing golf and wanted to shower and change when he finished at noon. They begrudgingly agreed to a 1:00 checkout but made it very clear we were causing them a lot of trouble. We had 4 guests for dinner the night before and though it was a costly meal the food was tasteless and overcooked. The room was rather garish for my taste, the rug (an off white color) was covered with ugly brown stains and there was no hairdryer and no counter in the bathroom to put a cosmetic bag. If you like a minifridge in your room you would be out of luck. The room was certainly a rip off at $160.00 per night - there are much better places to stay in Baddeck and I would strongly suggest visitors avoid Gisele's.

• Stayed: October 2005
17  Thank MPMG
Reviewed 16 August 2005

We visited the Aubergne Gisele Inn the week of August 2nd and were somewhat disappointed. The front desk lady was unfriendly and the rooms were small and frumpy. Parking was non existent. We saw nicer places in Baddeck as we enjoyed our visit.

15  Thank bcwhitt