“What a sweet place!”

Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ingonish
“What a sweet place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We've been to Keltic Lodge before & decided to come back to celebrate a special anniversary. Why ? Because we love Cape Breton but also because of Keltic Lodge. The food is superb,the rooms old fashioned ( that is a good thing) but mostly because the staff are so dedicated to ensuring every guest is welcomed, makes them feel like they matter & just generally go out of their way to provide superior service & client experience . Just superb overall ..and of course the scenery isn't too bad either. Definitely a must do '

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Plutorocks
NCHR, General Manager at Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you for returning to the Keltic Lodge and for sharing these exciting comments with us. Our Management Team has been working very hard to ensure all of our guests are given an authentic Cape Breton experience, like the one you enjoyed.

We’re delighted you had such a relaxing and memorable stay. We look forward to seeing you back again at the Keltic Lodge.

Matthew Mackenzie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Schererville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Our room in the lodge was very neat and clean; modern yet retaining the feel of the lodge's history. The large walk-in closet was very convenient for accommodating outdoor activity clothing. Staff was very friendly and helpful, the grounds were immaculate, and the daily breakfast buffet was very good. The sitting room was enjoyable for an evening drink, local entertainment, and meeting other travelers.

Room Tip: The walk-in closet was very convenient for outdoor clothes and items, and the corner room allowed a...
2 Thank HoosierHikers
Thank you for sharing this TripAdvisor review with us. We’re delighted that you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms, friendly and helpful staff, well manicured grounds, delicious dining and local entertainment. We will be sure to share your kind words with our hardworking team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Cornwall, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

My wife and I managed to get a few days off and decided to visit some of our children and grandchildren in Cape Breton. We took a day to ourselves and spent a wonderful night at The Keltic Lodge. We were originally booked in at the Inn but upon check in, found out we had been upgraded to a 2nd floor room in the Lodge with a King bed. The rooms have been updated but thankfully still reflect the heritage of the original construction. All the staff that we met were friendly; from the front desk to housekeeping and the Highland Sitting Room. We spent 4 hours relaxing in the SittingRoom enjoying a meal and the fantastic entertainment of Buddy MacDonald.
I would highly recommend The Keltic Lodge Resort any time you get a chance to visit Cape Breton.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank RicePoint1
Thank you for choosing to spend your relaxing vacation at the Keltic Lodge. We’re delighted that you enjoyed our friendly staff, newly renovated guestrooms and our local Cape Breton entertainment. It sounds like you had a very relaxing and memorable stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stopped in for lunch on our way through the Cabot Trail from Baddeck to Chiticamp. They nicely set us up in what appeared to be the bar area with tremendously comfortable lounge chairs in small groupings next to a window with great views and privacy, The menu had great items and my wife enjoyed her luscious hamburger and I the fish and chips. The also had the Garrison Red Irish Ale on tap (or maybe by the bottle)...Service was a little slow but actually not much of a concern since we simply enjoyed relaxing and enjoying the luxury of the lodge. A very satisfying stop. To be honest we didn't stay here partly because of some of the reviews I had read while planning for our vacation. In hindsight it sure seemed to be nice and the few guests we talked to sure seemed to be enjoying themselves and the staff we met were very happy and cordial;.

2 Thank HEH352
Thank you for sharing your dining experience with us! We’re delighted you had to opportunity to experience our local cuisine while on your Maritime adventure. We hope you’ll have the chance to stay at our resort in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Bellingham, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

The Keltic Lodge. Wow what a beautiful location. What a dump of a hotel. Now, that may be a reactionary statement, it may very well be a lovely lodge but it it was overbooked because of a wedding and we were placed in a dark dreary room that had a serious electrical issue,and the front desk manager, Jill, was incredibly rude and took a bad situation and accelerated it into a crisis.

I was sick. I had been traveling on a bus tour with my 89 year old Aunt and my Husband. It had been an long journey from Prince Edward Island and I was thrilled to arrive at the lodge at abut 5:00. I was admittedly cranky. Our room had no heat, it smelled bad and was dark and dreary, but the no heat was the pressing issue, so we called the front desk and someone was promptly sent up. Who was unable to fix it. Some one else was promptly sent up, and seemed to know immediately that the circuit breaker needed to be flipped and went into the locked room next door to fix it. It worked. Lovely heat. For about 10 minutes and then went off. I never really thought about it. I assumed it was on a thermostat and had turned off automatically. But since we were headed out of the room, it was not even a blip on my mental radar... Until I left the dinning room early as I was feeling too sick to finish my dinner. By the way, even sick the dinner was delicious and the service was great.

When I arrived back to the room it was cold. I tried to turn on the heater, nothing, I called down (admittedly in a crankier mood) and the same service guy came back. I asked him why it kept turning off... He said it was overloaded, because there was a wedding and they were using lots of power, more than the service could take. I explained I was sick, cranky and just wanted to go to bed in a warm room. He was unmoved and not optimistic about the heat staying on. I asked if he would have the manager call me. The room warmed up a bit, the manager called.

The woman that called explained that they would like to move us to another room with a working heater, but the lodge was 100% booked and there was nothing they could do... no more rooms, but did offer more blankets and hot tea. I explained my plight. I was sick, I was cranky, I just wanted to go to sleep in a warm room. I didn't want tea, but since the heat was on, I was content. I hung up. The heat went off. I called back.

This time they didn't knock on the door. I just heard the thumping sound of the circuit being flipped in the room next door and the heat came on.

The heat stayed on. I cozzied up in bed and settled in for a sleep. It was dark. I tried to turn on the bedside lamp. It did not work. I followed the cord of the lamp to see if it was plugged in to a wall outlet. It was plugged into a very, very old ungrounded extension cord from the 70's, which was plugged into the wall. I was flummoxed. Why is the lamp not working? The extension cord broken? Wall outlet not working? I called the front desk to find out what I might be doing wrong and my evening went from BAD TO WORSE.

Admittedly I was cranky, but I started the conversation with Jill the front desk manager, in a traditional way. I started to introduce myself and explain my issue. She didn't even listen. She must have assumed I was calling about the heat, which was working nicely still. When I introduced myself, her response was "oh, I know all about you", in a voice and tone one would reserve for Chester the child molester upon his release into her community. This didn't bode well for the upcoming conversation.

Jill went into a defensive tirade about how they could not move us because the hotel was 100% booked. I explained our light wasn't working.... But since she brought up the subject, maybe the lodge shouldn't overbook and have placed us in this dark, dreary, stinky room with electrical problems, problems they obviously knew about because the the service man was totally aware of how to fix the problem by flipping the breaker. OMG, this woman became irate with me, me the customer. She went on to try to interrupt me, correct me without letting me finish my sentence and raise her voice so that I wouldn't be able to talk.

Now, admittedly I am an assertive person and have the customer service skills to de-escalate this situation, but as I mention, I was cranky. I have been in customer service with difficult clients for my entire working career. From working as a insurance claims adjuster, to working in the Superior court system, establishing and collecting child support, to working with mentally ill homeless customers. I know my customer service. I know how to take a volatile potentially dangerous situation and de escalate it. I also was sick, tired, cranky and fed up with this woman talking to me like I was a errant child. All I had originally wanted was to know if there was some secret to turning on the bedside light. What I got was the hounds of hell from her. She threatened to call the tour director, Eric to "handle" me. I explained I didn't want Eric to "handle" me, I wanted to be able to turn in the lights in a warm room and take my sick self to bed. I also told her that I felt her customer service skills were terrible and that she might consider another career choice.

Someplace in that awful conversation she did manage to convey that the outlet might be controlled by a light switch. Wow... This nasty, upsetting and time consuming conversation could have been avoided by good customer service skills... Oh and not overbooking the lodge.

So, the lodge is in a beautiful place. The food in the dining room was excellent. The rooms are old, dated, dirty (found the last guests used soap in the shower, complete with curly hair) and the management is poor.

I do not recommend staying here. Maybe a local hotel and come for the meal.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Katrinay505
NCHR, General Manager at Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
We were disappointed to see that you posted this review on TripAdvisor after speaking with our team on numerous occasions while you were on property.

We have a highly skilled and trained team here at Keltic Lodge and I stand behind my team in this situation as we find your comments to be inappropriate and disrespectful. Taulk is a very respected and professional company that we've been working with for over a decade, and we feel that your concerns could have been addressed on property if you were willing to work with our team.

As previously discussed, please contact us directly on property or your tour director to discuss your concerns.

Regards,
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We are a couple from Ireland based for two days in Baddeck. This morning early we set off in a counter clockwise tour of the Cabot trail. Stopped at the Keltic Lodge for a break and as we were entering the hotel observed the Gaelic writing which we understood. Asked the receptionist about some coffee and she was so helpful. In the dinning room the supervisor and her assistant extended hospitality to us than one rarely meets. Management should be aware of this and I refer to Thurs. 20th. Sept. circa 10. am. You know our only regret is that we did not book to stay in this location and in this hotel or about five days or so, it would I imagine be bliss.

4 Thank kittytwister
NCHR, General Manager at Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Welcome to the beautiful Island of Cape Breton! We’re delighted that you were able to stop by for a visit during your Nova Scotia vacation. Reading your review put a smile on my face; I can assure you that I’ve shared your kind words with our team.

We hope during your next visit, you’ll have the opportunity to stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Cape Breton.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We have eaten at the Keltic Lodge for lunch twice and enjoyed it both times. This time we were with a motorcoach tour and the buffet served was excellent. We had a beautiful view to compliment the delicious food. I don't know the cost of the lunch as it was a gift from the tour company. The setting is gorgeous and I imagine that staying here would be a pleasure. It is outside of town so a car would be very useful.

Room Tip: Ask for a table by the window for a beautiful view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
NCHR, General Manager at Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thank you for sharing your dining experience with us! We’re delighted you had to opportunity to experience our Cape Breton cuisine while on your motor coach tour. We hope you’ll have the chance to stay at our resort in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Matthew Mackenzie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ingonish
Seascape Coastal Retreat
#4 of 7 in Ingonish
Inverary Resort
Inverary Resort
#5 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!