“Overpriced but a great view”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ardan Rum Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Ardan Rum Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Canadian
Wisconsin
“Overpriced but a great view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2010

We thought the food at this restaurant was mediocre at best and very over priced for the quality but the view from the dining room is fantastic. .

1 Thank MiMi58

New Hope, Pennsylvania
“Good Food, Great Location, Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

(I probably wouldn't have made a contribution on this restaurant, but I read the only review there was that really trashed the place and felt I needed to post a rebuttal.) Stayed at the Keltic 3 night and ate at Ardan Rum every night. First night we ate in the restaurant and had a great meal (seafood chowder and blackened haddock for me and a salad and fish & chips for my wife with desertsand a bottle of wine). We started the night in the lounge with some pre-dinner drinks listening to Cyril MacPhee, and after dinner went back for a after-dinner drink and some more music. After that, we decided to just eat in the lounge for the remaining 2 nights (the lounge has the exact same menu as the dining room). The two nights in the lounge, we just orderd wine by the glass and different appetizers and a few entrees (we prefer Tapas style of eating, but I don't think there is a Tapas restaurant on Cape Breton Island........anywhere...) though that added up to more than the dinner in the main dining room (several glasses of candian whisky contributed significantly to the bill). Over the 3 days we tried the Seafood Chowder, Both Salads, Lobster Pot Pie, Fish & Chips (2x), Calamari (2x), Blackened Haddock and several desserts. All the food was good and enjoyable, the wine list, while limited, offered a nice range and reasonable prices. Restaurants have to deliver on multiple levels (Trip Advisor rates on "Food" "Service" "Value" and "Atmosphere") and the atmosphere really delivers for this restaurant. The food is very good if not very creative, the service was super and friendly (given that the same waitress helped us at breakfast at 9:00 a.m. and dinner after 9:00 p.m.; that is super), the value probably lacks, but you are on a spit of land at the edge of North America, everything is going to cost more at this remote a location, but the atmosphere is what i will remember. Right now I can tell you what I ate, but 3 years from now, I won't remember the food or the drinks, but I will remember sitting in the lounge having a good meal listening to a local musician and enjoying myself very, very much and then walking outside to see more stars than I could ever see in NJ. If you are pinching pennies, this isn't the place for you, but if you are looking for an enjoyable time, at an awesome locale, make a reservation (which the desk clerk recommended, but I figured it's a Tuesday in October, there will be plenty of tables available.......but that place was rocking and I would definately make a reservation).

Toronto, Ontario
“Great resort, mediocre restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

We were not impressed with the Ardan Restaurant at the Keltic Lodge.

First, the Thistle Room in the Main Lodge is so much nicer, so it's baffling why it is now closed for lunch and dinner. But putting that aside, the meal at the Ardan Restaurant was mediocre -- it was fine, but the food was nothing special (although the prices would have suggested it would be a special meal). The menu was fairly boring, full of standard fare -- the night we were there, the special was an Italian buffet that looked like something from the Olive Garden. Frankly, we could have been eating in Toronto - there was very little distintive about the menu or the restaurant (other than the lovely views) that suggested to us that we were eating in a nice Cape Breton restaurant. Again, that would be okay if the prices were lower and the place was more honest about being akin to a chain family restaurant.

I appreciate that the resort may be going for a more modern and casual look to its restaurant, but then they should at least lower the prices to match their new vision -- and while I like a nice modern space, it's important to be also be interesting and distinctive, and the space and the food failed on both those counts. Our server was fine, but again not spectacular -- nothing stood out that we would complain about, but it wasn't the warm and friendly service we had encountered at so many other great restaurants in Cape Breton.

Moreover, throughout the meal we really noticed that the restaurant was on an hour-and-a-half cycle, and that we were being rushed through to get us out on time. Our final bill was brought to us before we'd even been asked if we were done. Overall, the only word I can use to describe the experience is "meh", and we ate (better) meals elsewhere during the remainder of our stay at the Keltic Lodge. Nothing about the restaurant, other than proximity to the Keltic Lodge guest rooms, would encourage repeat visits.