“Great”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Ingonish
Peterborough, Canada
“Great”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

First of all I think the previous reviewer is confused. The Cabot Trail is "One of the 20 Must See Places in 2013", not Glenghorm Resort.
On the 2nd leg of our East Coast road trip we opted not to pre-book accomodations and just see where we ended up driving for the day. This particular day we ended up on the Cabot Trail as far as Ingonish. I pictured this little town to acutally be a little big bigger so when we hit the other end of town and didn't see much we got a little worried. We stopped in a cute little gift shop and asked the lady if she could recommend a reasonably priced place to put our head down for the night. She recommended Glenghorm. The nice lady at reception booked us a room no problem and as she handed me a map to get to our rooms I realized what kind of place we were staying. There are motel type rooms, a little 2 storey hotel, cabins, cottages, chalets......every type of accomodation you can imagine! We were assigned 2 single rooms in the Muir buidling which is located away from everything else in a quiet part of the property. The rooms were really large and clean, and each had a door out to a private balcony facing the woods.I still didn't really comprehend where we were staying until I heard the waves crashing and realized that there was indeed a beach....an Atlantic Ocean beach! I'd been waiting my whole trip to dip my feet in the Atlantic Ocean and it was right at my doorstep. The weather was absolutely miserable (it's the Highlands after all) but I spent a good 2 hours down by the beach taking pictures, walking in the water and collecting rocks. Maybe that sounds lame, but it was just me in the rain, watching and listening to the ocean, seeing the mist of the highlands hanging over the mountains.
I thought this place was fantastic for the price (we stayed on June 27th and it was a little over $110 with a CAA discount). There was a pub, a restaurant, evening entertainment, a fresh water swimming pool, even laundry facitlies! I will admit that the bathrooms (atleast in the Muir building) are very run down and could use some updating but I wasn't there to spend my time in the bathroom. I had a great stay! I think it would be a great place to spend some time in the summer with the kids, but for me it was perfect hardly anyone there at all.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TLB05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Buckhorn, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2013

My wife and I went on the Inverary Ultimate Golf tour package this June . The golf at Dundee, Bells Bay , Highland Links, and Le Portage was wonderful. The accommodation at Dundee and especially Inverary was great. Glenghorm Resort unfortunately was terrible. It would barely rate in my opinion as a 1 star motel, not a resort. The beds were rock hard and we were right next to the Cabot Trail, so with traffic and the beds, there was virtually no sleep to be had. As the last accommodation stop on the package this was highly disappointing. I would have happily paid another $100 - 200 to stay at somewhere like the Keltic Lodge. I would have otherwise recommended this package to friends as the rest was a great trip. With Glenghorm included in the package, I would not recommend it to anyone. The only way I could recommend it would be by limiting the accommodation to Dundee and Inverary and book other accommodation outside the package.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Petermac-red

Travellers are raving about these Ingonish hotels

Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

Misleading advertising. Brochures and website show a completely different place. On the ad, it says "One of 20 Must See Places in 2013 - according to National Geographic". Cabot trail, maybe, definitely not Glenghorm Resort. For one thing, it's NOT a resort. It has lovely enough grounds and it's right on the beach but resort it is not. All the buildings are run down, our beach front cottage was dilapidated and the decor was very dated. The bedspread looks and feels like it has not been washed in a long long time. They want premium price for the accommodation and our one night stay there was super disappointing. Will not recommend it unless you want overpriced "rustic".

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank EatGoodChocolate
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I've stayed at this resort about three times now and will definitely be going back. The location is set on gorgeous, sandy North Bay beach. You have your choices of bungalows, which are fully equip and you just need to bring your own food. They have bbq's available for a small fee. There is also a motel structure in the front, near the road if you prefer that and there are newer condo-like structures. They have a pool and a restaurant with a pub underneath that usually has nightly entertainment. I prefer the bungalow right down by the cliff (not that high). You will have an amazing view of the Cape Breton Highlands and they have large chairs on the cliff overlooking the beach. The best times to go are July and August. Some might find the water chilly, but if you go late July or early August, it's going to be the warmest time and the jelly fish are usually all gone by then. There isn't much night life in Ingonish, but the resort has a bonfire pit. It's a place to relax and enjoy the incredible beauty Ingonish has to offer. The beaches in Ingonish are gorgeous. I have been south and Ingonish Beach, North Bay Beach and Blackbrook Beach are breathtaking, chilly at times, but absolutely gorgeous.

Room Tip: Get the bungalow down by the end on the cliff. The waves crashing at night is very peaceful for ocea...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shauna M
watford
Reviewed 22 January 2013

The Glenghorn Resort was clean and very comfortable. Unfortunately the restaurant didn't cater for my vegetarian friend but we were recommended to a great place a few minutes drive up the road by the lady in reception who was extremely helpful. Next door is a small cafe which proved to be very useful. It is extremely well situated for visiting the east side of the Cape Breton national Park

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank valgardening
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My wife and I go to the Glenghorm Resort every year to enjoy the beach, and Ingonish in general. We are never disappointed and were pleasantly surprised when the rooms in the Muir section of the resort were refurbished. The resort is centrally located so there are no problems seeing the various sites around Ingonish. The beach is incredible and when we are there we are on the beach from dusk to dawn. The rooms are comfortable and well appointed. My only complaint would be that the food at the Thirsty Hiker Pub can be a bit pricey but there are other restaurants in very close proximity. All in all we have never been disappointed in all the years we have been going to the Glenghorm.

Room Tip: My wife and I usually stay at the Muir part of the resort always on the second level because of the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barry H
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We chose the Glenghorm because we wanted a pet friendly location right on the beach and ave had positive experiences in previous years. You cannot find a better location within proximity to the beach. The beach is beautiful and expansive. The property itself is beautiful and family friendly. There is a common area with a fire pit and meeting other guests. A play area for children. A pool, restaraut and coffe shop. The staff very very friendly and accomodating.

We stayed in one of the double cabins. Two bedrooms with two bed sharing a common kitchen area and bathroom. The bedrooms were in better shape than the kitchen and bath area. The bathroom in particular is in need of repair. The cabin comes fully equipped with all utensils, fridge, stove, microwave, pots, pans, barbeque, toaster, coffee maker etc. Overall, not 'elegant' but adequate and in a great location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple