“MUST READ. Disgrace!”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Ingonish
Calgary, Canada
“MUST READ. Disgrace!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I planned on booking my 2015 wedding at this resort. I had booked the resort almost a year ago (so plenty of time, Im a planner) to host my wedding. I had booked many services in advance in preparation. The report was going to be running my dinners/bar etc.

Just yesterday I received info that they had closed their bar and restaurant a while ago. When I sent an email to question this, I was then told that I would need to hire external services for my venue for catering and bar, staff etc. I was completely outraged at how unethical and underhanded these people are. They had no intention on telling me so I would have been left scrambling for me wedding. I then had to book a new resort which required me to change the date as mine was already taken as well change/move around services as yet again the dates were unavailable from the people I booked for the new date.

These people are running this beautiful location into the ground. They are dishonest and negligent and knew that upon telling me this info I would have cancelled so they assumed keeping this info to themselves would force me into staying and 'figuring it out' for myself.

They call themselves a resort. Its terrible rooms on a beautiful property with no where to eat/drink. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, the price is a joke. Too bad the bar the "Thirsty Hiker" was a great place to go for anyone in ingonish.

Room Tip: Choose ANY other beautiful resort!! SO much more to offer!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Jen M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed 10 October 2013

When we first arrived at the Glenghorm Resort, we checked in and found our room- which was located in a poorly-kept apartment-style buliding, in the basement. Being October, it was a little chilly and we were looking forward to relaxing for a bit after travelling the Cabot Trail all day. It was difficult, however, to relax because we were without heat for at least three hours. (The building was being worked on when we arrived at check-in time.) The tv in our room did not really face the bed, which may not seem like a big deal, but it was, because we payed $167 to stay in this cold, crappy room and couldn't even comfortably watch the television. The phone in our room worked sporadically; the cord was loose. We were told there was free wifi included in the room but it was only available in the main lobby of the establishment. The bed in our room left us both with sore backs the next morning, and to top it off, I found hairs in the shower BEFORE we had used it. We ordered some take-out from the pub on site and this is probably the only positive thing to comment on concerning our stay at the Glenghorm "Resort"- the wings were excellent! Also, the beach is beautiful..almost-white sand, peaceful and very pretty. But it would not be enough to bring us back to this place. It was maybe worth half of what we payed, and even that price would be debateable. We highly DO NOT recommend this accomodation. The word RESORT is very deceiving in this case.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank meagmack14

Travellers are raving about these Ingonish hotels

Okanagan, BC
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

Bare minimum in room: Bar of soap towels and TP included, bring the rest. We stayed in the motel portion, the cabins might have been nicer we don't know. The lobby and dining areas were nicely renovated. I'd imagine the rooms will be updated soon. It was still a comfortable stay. Ingonish is pretty secluded. The grounds on this property are very nice. Leisurely walk down the drive past all the cabins takes you to the beach where the view is nice, great sunrises.

We went for dinner at the Highlands Sitting Room at the Keltic Lodge. It was fantastic! Truly our best night of the trip. If you have a few hundred to drop, the accommodations there would surely be top notch but save some dough and stay at Glenghorm and drink at eat your savings at the Highlands Sitting Room!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Jay S
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The rooms are OK - a bit on the older/tired side as is the case with many motels in the region. The staff didn't seem very excited to deal with guests. All other motels on the Cabot Trail had very good staff that were eager to help out guests but this was not the case here. Also the Wi-Fi didn't reach the rooms - only in the reception area. Bummer. Lastly the walls are super thin.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The motel was a bit dated - the rooms were however large - which was great for our toddler. There as a glass panel which provided adequate light - we stayed right next to the reception on the first floor.
The floor did creak quite a bit and we were constantly feeling bad for the folks living in the rooms under our floor.
There were a few swings towards the beach - the beach itself was great - wwe managed a lovely, long walk in the evening. In my opinion the location of Glenghorm certainly makes it worth staying at if you are looking for a cheaper option than the Keltic Lodge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mys_terry78
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I were traveling over the Labour Day weekend, did not have reservations and came to the Glenghorm. There is a beach - and a beautiful view! The whole place looked a bit sketchy but we were able to look at a few rooms before deciding to stay. Not wanting to keep looking we stayed in one of the buildings closer to the water. The whole facility with the exception of a couple of smaller buildings is very dated and in need of repair. Our room was OK, nothing special. When I hear "beach resort" I am thinking something different than what is offered. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. The description indicates free WI-fi but we found out later that this is only in the main reception area, the phone in our room worked sporadically if we fiddled with the cord. It is located in a lovely location right on the ocean, I would think that if they spent some $$ on paint and new carpeting just to freshen up the inside and out it would be much better.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jeannette S
Manchester
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This motel is okay, but really needs updating. The staff was very nice, but our room was not so great. It was a decent size and the beds were comfortable, but it was really dark (we stayed on the lower groundfloor rooms right next to the reception building) and the crapets had definitely seen better days. In the morning there was a puddle of water right next to the toilet and even after running the shower for about five minutes the water was barely warm. When I mentioned it upon check out they didn't seem surprised and said I should have let it run even longer. First of all I hate wasting water and secondly how is anybody supposed to know that. I just gave up and had a shower at the next place we stayed at. The continental breakfast is a joke (and I can say that as I'm from the continent). It's toast and jam or honey, cheap cereal and mini 'pastries' and is served on styrofoam plates and cups, which again goes against my environmental policy completely. The location of the resort is great. There is a long sandy beach right outside and Ingonish Beach is only just down the road. The cottages that are part of the resort looked like they might be nicer and there were also two more modern looking buildings on the property that might have better rooms. Overall, it was okay to spend a night, but I would have expected to pay less for a room of that standard.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the old building right next to the lodge.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends