“Christmas in Cape Breton”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mabou
Laurel's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 7 Mabou B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Christmas in Cape Breton”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed at Laurel's bed and breakfast for the week between Christmas and New Year's. When we told friends we were planning a winter getaway to Cape Breton, some were sceptical. Sceptics notwithstanding, we had an absolutely wonderful holiday, with just the mix we had wanted of 'quiet romantic retreat', Celtic music and snowshoeing on the nearby trails. Our room was charming - large, quiet and spotlessly clean. Breakfasts were a wonder - healthful, filling and delicious; I mention in particular the squash soup (the squash grown in Laurel's garden), fresh homemade bread, cranberry porridge and fresh fruit.

Laurel is a resourceful, warm, engaging and thoroughly professional innkeeper, who does everything she turns her hands to well. She was informed, helpful, remarkably accommodating and a very real pleasure to get to know. We have stayed in many B&Bs across Canada and this was the most welcoming experience we have had.

Carl Schwebel and Andrea Snider

Room Tip: We stayed in the Rankin room, which has a large, well appointed ensuite bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carl S
Laurel B, Owner at Laurel's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Ii was my pleasure to be your host. I enjoyed our conversations during your stay here. I'm glad you brought your snowshoes! Thank you for your kind words. Hope to see you here again! Happy New Year! Warm regards, Laurel

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Laurel's B&B provides a wonderful getaway. Laurel is a warm and wonderful host who is also very accommodating. She focuses on local foods in her delicious breakfast and ensures a clean room for a comfortable night. The views across the countryside are spectacular too!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie S
Laurel B, Owner at Laurel's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you so much for choosing to stay here. I enjoyed your company and conversation. Please come back on your next visit to the area. Best Wishes, Laurel
Baddeck, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Laurel's bed and breakfast provides the ideal location for a romantic weekend getaway in the beautiful countryside on the west side of Cape Breton. Close to lots of great events all winter and trails for hiking or snowshoeing, Laurel's is a great base camp. My husband and I live about an hour away and stayed one night in October while attending an event in nearby Inverness; it certainly won't be our last visit.

Laurel herself provides great conversation and delicious, hearty meals; the perfect hostess. The bed was comfortable, bathroom was huge, and the house is charming and clean.

1 Thank cblocaldiet
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review! I enjoyed our dinner and breakfast conversations. Hope to see you both soon! Cheers, Laurel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I just spent a night at Laurels B and B in Mabou. Laurel's home is comfortable and our room was clean and cozy. We really enjoyed our evening chat in front of the fire while the rain pounded outside!
Very quiet and peaceful night prior to our drive around the Cabot trail. Thanks Laurel for the great discussion about food, farming and living life!
Your breakfast was yummy and your advise on our trip really helpful.
If you are interested in music, Laurel is very knowledgable about local events.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words. I enjoyed our evening and breakfast conversations immensely. If you ever get back to Cape Breton, please come for a visit! Good Luck, Laurel
west hartford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I were fortunate to stay one night with Laurel while traveling around Nova Scotia.
She was most welcoming and the two rooms are beautifully furnished and spotless!
We enjoyed a glass of wine while watching the sunset in a most pastoral setting!!! After a wonderful nights sleep we awoke to the delightful smells of breakfast being prepared,which was plentiful and delicious,... fresh baked muffins, homemade strawberry compote ,organic eggs and more!!!! Breakfast conversation was most enjoyable.
Laurel is a very attentive hostess who will make your stay most comfortable. Enjoy your stay!!!

Room Tip: both rooms are beautiful!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
It was my pleasure to be your host! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with me. Best wishes, Laurel
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I had a fantastic stay at Laurel's. I'd never stayed in a B&B before so this was my first experience and it was an absolute pleasure. The B&B is a lovely, welcoming and cosy house and Laurel's hospitality was even warmer. Both mornings of our stay we ate lovely, homemade breakfasts full of local produce which set us up for the day. I couldn't recommend a stay at Laurel's B&B highly enough!

1 Thank ArekUK
Arek and Ciaran, Thank you very much for your kind words! You were wonderful guests, and I enjoyed our time together. I hope you will choose to stay here again on your next trip to Cape Breton. Cheers! Laurel
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We spent a night at Laurel's while travelling around Nova Scotia on our honeymoon. She was extremely knowledgeable about local restaurants and attractions, and make the best breakfast we ate on our whole trip. My allergies can give me a hard time so naturally I was hesitant to book when I read that there were animals present. I decided the price was worth it and booked anyway. Boy am I glad I did! Upon check-in, Laurel assured me that the animals are not allowed in the bedrooms and had I not seen them in the yard, I wouldn't have believed that they existed at all. The house was very clean with no hint of animal smell or fur. The bed is comfy, the soap is locally made, and the food is incredible! One of the best parts of our stay was chatting with Laurel at breakfast - a wonderful hostess. We will definitely be back the next time we are in town!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Laurel B, Owner at Laurel's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
I was so pleased that you chose to stay here for part of your honeymoon! You were wonderful guests. Hope to see you on your Anniversary! Best wishes, Laurel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mabou
Margaree Riverview Inn
Glenora Inn & Distillery
Hebridean Motel
Hebridean Motel
#1 of 1 in Port Hood

Been to Laurel's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!