“The Best Place, I've ever eaten!”

Big Intervale Fishing Lodge
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is my all time favorite place to eat. The food is always good and lots of it. The owners go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your time there. The atmosphere is so cozy, especially during the fall and winter. They make the best wings and steak EVER!!!, My husband loves their scallops you get about 9 huge ones served with a creamy sauce.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Cynthia M

Reviewed 11 July 2013

The lodge is located in a remote but beautiful part of Cape Breton. We booked the fly fishing package and loved it. We're fly fishing novices and our guide Daniel was patient and very happy to share his knowledge and experiences with us.

Hermann and Ruth are wonderful hosts. The meals at the lodge are first rate.

This was our first time on Cape Breton and we hope it's not our last. If it isn't, we'll be sure to return to Big Intervale.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank S C
Reviewed 12 June 2013

The location : in a valley, you see little falls, calm
The room : big and very nice.
The owners : sweet and helpful
We took the "discover fly fishing package". It was an interesting experience, and I appreciate that we didn't need to care to anything, the owners prepared everything for us.
Moreover you eat very well!!!! It's like paradize!!!! I recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lulu00000031
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Just wanted to take a moment and comment on what a tremendous time I had at Hermann and Ruth's. From the moment I arrived, the hospitality was second to none. I was on a very limited time line for my visit and the folks at Big Intervale helped me in securing a top notched guide and provided me with phenominal meals at the lodge. It seemed to me that Hermann's passion for fishing is only rivalled by his love of the kitchen. I want to say thank you to Hermann and Ruth and the kids, and I will be back.
Cheers

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank pgBilly
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Twelve of us enjoyed dining at Big Intervale on Saturday, Feb 16, 2013. If you say you have dined at Big Intervale, everybody in Cape Breton knows that you mean the Big Intervale Fishing Lodge. There is no other restaurant for miles around!
Of course you have to phone ahead to make a reservation, then it just over an hour's drive from Baddeck. It is always a scenic drive and at this time of year it is a winter wonderland, with more and more snow as you get closer to the lodge beside the Margaree River in its valley tucking into the Highlands.
The owners, Ruth and Hermann, greet you warmly and serve their tasty bruchetta as you enjoy the cozy lounge and choose from the menu.
Hermann is the chef, and all the food is excellent. It ranges from hamburgers and fries, to steak, salmon, scallops, chicken and pork. The soups, salads and desserts are also always delicious.
It is an informal setting, no need to dress up, and at this time of year many snowmobilers are welcomed following a specially groomed trail system.
Dining at the lodge is a unique experience, and one which you will look forward to enjoying at any season of the year.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank DibandDab
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Hermann and Ruth made my Mum's 73rd Birthday and our tour of the Cabot Trail something to remember. Rooms were clean and we all slept well, nothing fancy but cosy with Satellite TV, Hot Showers and loads of room for us in the grounds for our two JRT's who raced around and explored to their little hearts' content !. Hermann and George spent an hour or so playing some Golf with my Dad and made his trip memorable too.

The food is just superb, fresh, perfectly seasoned and good value. I will be back here again, 100% certain. If I can i will try to stay longer next time. I will be passing around this little gem to all my fishing friends in NS and CB. Right on the Margaree, close to the Hatchery pool and very secluded/quiet. DO NOT MISS EATING HERE!!..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Anglersvoice
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Trust me. The accommodations are modest, but clean and quaint. But it's the hospitality and food that seal the deal with this place. Hermann and Ruth are, quite simply, the most fantastic owners of a lodge/restaurant that we have ever encountered. They are beyond kind, warm, helpful, and fair. A few examples:
#1 - we really wanted to see a ceileh but hadn't done enough research before our trip to find one. Ruth spent an hour online to find us a few options to attend and had a list ready at breakfast the next morning.
#2 - I felt very sick after a day of fishing and, being newly pregnant, was pretty miserable. I stayed in our room while my husband went to have dinner. Hermann was so concerned for my health that he INSISTED Chris find out exactly what I wanted to eat - didn't matter if it was on the menu or not. He created the perfect meal for me that I could stomach and told Chris if I needed anything, no matter what time of night, to come back to the house and he'd fix it for me. And he meant it.
#3 - we rented some fishing equipment that we didn't want to lug from home - namely waders and boots. One of the waders had the tiniest of leaks, and it didn't even bother us, but we did mention it to him so he could fix it for the next renters. He not only went crazy finding the leak (if you've ever had to do this, it's a maddening exercise), but he fixed it and insisted we take them back out the next day, and didn't charge us the rental fees for either day "for our troubles."

This review is getting long so I'll wrap up by saying we spent 3 night there, had 3 breakfasts, 3 dinners, and they packed us a fishing lunch one day. They were the best meals we had throughout the entire trip, and it was the most relaxing part of our tour of Nova Scotia. It was also the most economical part of the trip (unfortunately for our bank accounts). We're already trying to figure out how to get back to Big Intervale.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort and Retreat
Duck Cove Inn
Duck Cove Inn
#1 of 1 in Margaree Harbour

Been to Big Intervale Fishing Lodge? Share your experiences!