“What's not to like!”

The Fo'c'sle
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Good food, good portions, good beer and good service. That pretty much does it for me. Passing through Chester on the way to Peggy's Cove, we stopped here as it was lunchtime and picked a place at random. The food was well above average for our trip. If you're hungry, try the Admiral's Seafood Chowder, it is a standout. I tried a lot of microbrews at various pubs on our trip, but the Fo'c'sle Ale is outstanding. Prices are very reasonable. Wish this place was in my home town.

There are newer reviews for The Fo'c'sle

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We tried the Fo'c'sle as we were staying up the road and we didn't want to go too far. My husband wanted comfort food as he was feeling under the weather so ordered the Reuben and fries and I had the Admirals Chowder. Both were well presented and delicious - the Reuben was definately comforting.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Went for dinner with two families, it was not busy when we arrived on a Sunday night at 545 but became full within 30 mins. We were served drinks very quickly, we sat in the dining room area, Lots of windows, it was very nice. We ordered and then waited almost 45 mins for our food. Some type of mix up in the kitchen. The waitress did return and offered us more drinks, water and told us it would not be much longer.

High points - haddock fish and chips was well done (3 in our group had it and everyone liked it. One added the sweet potato fries ($3.00 more - seems a bit much..) but he did like them. One ordered the homemade fish cakes made with salt cod, homemade baked beans and chow, he loved it and it did look delicious. I ordered the dark and stormy shrimp and scallops on rice pilaf. I took a bit of the scallops (overcooked - which is easily done) then I noticed a black hair on my plate. I sent it back and asked what would be quick, she suggested the lobster croissant and salad., Three in our group had this, the sandwich was filled the brim with fresh lobster, not too much mayo, and was served with homemade potato salad, it was good for the first few bits but then the Dijon mustard in the dressing soon overpowered everything else. Get this with fries instead.

The bill came and I was charged for the replacement meal, when I asked if it was the usual practice to charge for a plate that contained a hair, she said that she did not charge me for that but only for the replacement, I asked her to comp my meal and she reluctantly agreed. This should have been done automatically and not just after I asked for it. We won't be back. For a quality meal, head up to Chester Basin and go to the Sea Shanty, you won't regret it, it is 100 times better.

1  Thank kingswood1
Reviewed 24 July 2013

By chance, we chose this restaurant and we were glad we did. We went in the back door, which is the bar area, but were soon escorted to a lovely dining room in the front. We had a lovely corner table. I ordered the Admiral's chowder and my friend had fish and chips. About my chowder: it was excellent! Not over laden with potatoes, but chock full of shrimp, scallops, and a very tasty broth. Crowning the bowl were twelve plump mussels. It was all I could do to finish it as it was so filling. But I did it. My friend really enjoyed here meal. The fish was battered lightly and the chips were homemade.
As we were touring all of Nova Scotia, we had a chance to return to Chester. Yes, I had the same dish again. It was once again as good. My friend had the club sandwich. It was huge and she said very good.
What really topped off our visit was our server, Shaun.(Hope I spelled his name correctly.) He was such fun and just made our visits. He even remembered us when returned after several days!

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Maybe it was the day; but our visit to The Fo'c'sle was just average. It was hot and very loud inside. Our waiter was a little rude to us at first; but, seemed to find his manners later in our stay. The food was good and the restaurant was clean. I might try it again but it was not my favorite.