“Why is the waiter so LOUD?”
Review of The Fo'c'sle

The Fo'c'sle
Ranked #2 of 16 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Canadian
Halifax, Canada
“Why is the waiter so LOUD?”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Stopped by here after a visit to Gold River and Chester Basin. We were hungry, and after a long day hiking, a little tired. The waiter and the waitress appeared to be talking to each other between taking orders and getting drinks, but boy, were they LOUD! It was like a full on screamfest, but no, they weren’t fighting… just talking about which order goes to whom, and such.
Our ears hurt with all the racket they were making.
On the plus side, the roasted red pepper and tomato bisque and the Greek salad were delicious.
If only the wait staff would use their “indoors” voices!

• Visited October 2013

Halifax, Canada
“Poor Service and very long wait”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We were a group of eight (family and friends) visiting from Ontario. We decided to go this restaurant for a late lunch, as the restaurant was not very busy at this time.

The waiter pulled up a chair, sat down and wrote down our orders.

An hour later our appetizers arrived. The chowder and lobster bisque were tastey but the mussels were tasteless. When the main meals finally arrived, the breaded scallops were cold/frozen in the centre. Waiting an hour and a half to be served food which was not fully cooked was very disapointing along with the atmosphere, unenthusiastic staff and poor service.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank abytiamo
Mission, Canada
“What's not to like!”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Good food, good portions, good beer and good service. That pretty much does it for me. Passing through Chester on the way to Peggy's Cove, we stopped here as it was lunchtime and picked a place at random. The food was well above average for our trip. If you're hungry, try the Admiral's Seafood Chowder, it is a standout. I tried a lot of microbrews at various pubs on our trip, but the Fo'c'sle Ale is outstanding. Prices are very reasonable. Wish this place was in my home town.

• Visited September 2013
Eckington, null, United Kingdom
“Good hearty food”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We tried the Fo'c'sle as we were staying up the road and we didn't want to go too far. My husband wanted comfort food as he was feeling under the weather so ordered the Reuben and fries and I had the Admirals Chowder. Both were well presented and delicious - the Reuben was definately comforting.

• Visited September 2013
Halifax, NS
“Long wait, hair on my plate... Think twice...”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Went for dinner with two families, it was not busy when we arrived on a Sunday night at 545 but became full within 30 mins. We were served drinks very quickly, we sat in the dining room area, Lots of windows, it was very nice. We ordered and then waited almost 45 mins for our food. Some type of mix up in the kitchen. The waitress did return and offered us more drinks, water and told us it would not be much longer.

High points - haddock fish and chips was well done (3 in our group had it and everyone liked it. One added the sweet potato fries ($3.00 more - seems a bit much..) but he did like them. One ordered the homemade fish cakes made with salt cod, homemade baked beans and chow, he loved it and it did look delicious. I ordered the dark and stormy shrimp and scallops on rice pilaf. I took a bit of the scallops (overcooked - which is easily done) then I noticed a black hair on my plate. I sent it back and asked what would be quick, she suggested the lobster croissant and salad., Three in our group had this, the sandwich was filled the brim with fresh lobster, not too much mayo, and was served with homemade potato salad, it was good for the first few bits but then the Dijon mustard in the dressing soon overpowered everything else. Get this with fries instead.

The bill came and I was charged for the replacement meal, when I asked if it was the usual practice to charge for a plate that contained a hair, she said that she did not charge me for that but only for the replacement, I asked her to comp my meal and she reluctantly agreed. This should have been done automatically and not just after I asked for it. We won't be back. For a quality meal, head up to Chester Basin and go to the Sea Shanty, you won't regret it, it is 100 times better.

• Visited August 2013