“I would rather the Hilton.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Enfield
Sydney Mines, Canada
“I would rather the Hilton.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

The Hilton next door was the same price, but stayed here due to no rooms being available. After already staying at the Hilton I would rather stay there. There is no lounge or bar, they told me to walk over to the Hilton. The rooms are clean but dont seem as nice as the Hilton. I wouldn't reurn to this hotel unless the hilton was booked up.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EastCoastMafiaTravel
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear EastCoastMafiaTravel,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. My apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, please do not hesitate to let us know. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to pamper you and provide you with exceptional service.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Charlottetown
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I am so disappointed in this hotel. For starters, it took 3 trips to the desk to get checked in properly... We were all set to swim but the pool heater was broken so staff were sending us next door to the Hilton (where the tiny pool was so overpacked there was no room to go in). My biggest complaint about this hotel is the total inability they had to provide the necessary airport shuttling... We arrived at the airport 1 hour late because we had to stand in an enormous line in the lobby for 50 min (and yes we arrived in the lobby 20 min before our booked shuttle time). For whatever reason their shuttle service totally failed us (and a large number of other guests). When you check in you let them know what time you need the shuttle but they don't take your name so actually getting onto a shuttle is very difficult. Also the shuttles load up at the Hilton first so there is very little room for Holiday Inn guests by the time they arrive next door. Bottom line, the airport shuttle service is totally unreliable ... It added a great deal of stress to our travel plans, and for this reason, we will never again book a room here. We certainly did not feel we came remotely close to getting our money's worth out of our stay.
The driver for the long term parking lot (from Kelowna) was fantastic as was the chowder at the Hilton next door.

Stayed March 2014
John D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you IslandCacher for your candid comments. I apologize for the issues that you expereinced and thankyou for your patience.

Our shuttle service was not up to standard due to maintnance and mechanical breakdown as was our pool heater. Seems when it rains it does pour.

Both issues have since been corrected.

Again I apologize and hope that you will recosider visiting us again so we can instill your faith in us again.
Safe travels in the future!
Charlottetown, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Next time we'll stay at the Hilton. We booked our son a room because his flight was delayed due to weather and were told this was fine. But when he got to the hotel they wouldn't let him in, insisting we fax (!) the credit card information to them. Do they not realize this is a completely false sense of security? A fax is more legitimate...why? We have always used the Holiday Inn but will not be back again thanks to this utter stupidity, inconvenience, and lack of customer appreciation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank R6294XDTraveller
Thank you R6294XDTraveller for your commments. We apologize for the inconvenience during your son’s check in. This procedure is common practice and is to protect the card holder and limit possible credit card fraud. It is prudent for the hotel to confirm that the person booking the resvation does in fact hold the card in their possession. A fax of the copy of the actual card with a signature enables us to have confimation of this.

I hope you will reconsider your decision and visit us again soon.
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Very pleased with our recent stay - one night before the trip and one night after. We purchased the advanced park & fly package on the internet to save a few bucks. The non-cancellation policy was made very clear to me before paying online. We really liked the breakfast, especially the pancake machine. The rooms were extremely quiet. I didn't hear a single plane and I didn't even hear any guests in the hallways. The hotel was clean. There's a small pool but we didn't use it. There were free cookies & apples at the check-in counter; I thought that was a nice gesture. Upon check-in I was asked to come back down to take my car to the long-term parking lot. It was a simple procedure where a staff member leads you down in his vehicle and then drives you back to the hotel. I will most certainly stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: The airport shuttle bus is shared with Hilton. Both Hilton & Holiday Inn logos will appear on th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Wow! Thank you Advil for your 5 star review. I was happy to hear that you had an overall great experience with us. We do endeavour to ensure all of our guests have a great visit with us.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Safe Travels
Cheers
John
Yarmouth, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have stayed here 2 times in the last 4 years. I have always had a good time here. Hotel is very clean and staff are always helpful. Breakfast is hot and has a pretty good variety. Rooms are clean and beds are very comfy. Pool is a nice size and good way to spend the night. Hotel is pretty much just for people going to the airport and want a place to park there cars, however that being said it is close to Dartmouth crossing so there is stuff to do close by. Shuttle is on a good 30 min schedule and have had no problems getting on the shuttle. Overall a great hotel and a safe place to leave your car when your flying out of Halifax.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
John D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you Coady90 for your kind review. I am glad to see that your stay was satisfactory and that you enjoyed all of our services and features.
I hope to welcome you back soon.
Safe travels
John
Halifax, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I booked a park and fly package at this hotel for a recent trip to the Dominican. We live locally (1/2 hour from the airport), but our flight departed at 6 am, so we decided to stay and get the shuttle in the morning. We had somebody lined up to stay in our house to watch the kids.

We ended up having to cancel and leave from home, so I went online and went through the cancellation process, got the cancellation number, and went on my merry way.

When we got back from our trip we noticed we had been charged for the room and the parking. We had parked at the airport and spent $100 there. When I called the front desk they told me that because it was an advance rate it was due and not refundable!!! When I looked at my booking, there it was at the bottom of the page. I booked this 1.5 months before my trip and cancelled it 3 full days before I was scheduled to stay.

When I cancelled there were no messages, pop ups or any notification reminding me that my money was non refundable. At the very least I would have parked in their parking lot.

When I called the manager of the hotel, I got a very unhelpful "that is our policy and there is nothing I can do." When I emailed through their corporate page I got the exact same response. I paid for a service that I was allowed to cancel and Holiday Inn got my money and didn't have to do a thing.

They need to tell people when they are cancelling that their money will not be refunded. It needs to pop up and require a click that you understand, because frankly people that book that far in advance may forget that you are going to steal their money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
John D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you Chris T for your candid comments. These comments assists us in communicating the policies and the process of booking our advance purchase rates. You are correct in stating buyers need to be aware or informed of what option they are choosing. We have several advance purchase rates which are attractive to many of our clients because they are a great discount off of our regular rates. The policy terms & conditions of the reservation date cannot be changed or refunded in any way. These policy terms and conditions are listed on the web page where guests enter their information to book as well as the terms and conditions they must click and agree to before completing and canceling the booking. Many of our clients book these rates because of the great discount and are willing to take the risk against not being able to stay for their reservation date. I might suggest that you contact your travel insurance company who may be able to assist you. We sincerely hope that you have the chance to actually stay at our hotel in the future so we are able to show off our great guest rooms and professional service. If you have any further questions or requests, please feel free to contact me directly.

Rich Taylor
Montague, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

My wife and decided to stay here the night before we fly to cuba. At 10:30 at night we are lying in bed watching tv, and our room door opens. After being in our room for 6 hours, they gave another family a key to our room, and the opens while we are lying in bed. When i called the front desk, all i got was an incincere apology. I travel for work, and have stayed in hundreds of hotel rooms over the years, and i never had this happen before. Completely unacceptable, as was their refusal to do anything about it. Will never stay here again, and will warn anyone thinking of using them.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank MikeSavidant
John D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you MikeSavidant for your informative and honest response. We sincerely apologize for the mix up with the keys and for another guest having access to your room. This was a training issue and human error and we do not take this lightly. Please know, that this should not have happened at our hotel as we have procedures to follow to avoid this situation. We understand our guest’s security requirements and want them to relax while in our hotel. It should not have happened at our hotel. We hope for your understanding and would hope that you would return so we can instill your confidence in us. I understand you spoke with our front desk manager the morning after you stay but please contact me directly if you would like to discuss anything further.

My apologies again
John Duggan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enfield
Inn on the Lake
#1 of 1 in Fall River
Downtown Halifax
Homewood Suites by Hilton Halifax-Downtown, Nova Scotia, Canada

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport? Share your experiences!